Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Location Search

Sep 29th 2013 new
Just an idea...

Have a search option for an actual location to add to "Within X miles/kilometers."

For example, if I know someone is in New York City and I want to search for that person, there should be an additional option of "IN New York City." This way, only those people who actually have the words, "New York City" as their location will appear. As it is, the narrowest option is "within 25 mi (40 km)" of New York City, and there can be quite a few responses to go through, with many of them in NJ and CT.

Oct 9th 2013 new
I've always wanted to be able to search for "Charlie, 40-50, Nevada". Sometimes you encounter someone in the forums and can't remember details other than name/age or name/state and there's no easy way to search for them, as far as I've discovered.
Oct 19th 2013 new
To add to your idea William, can the Devs make it possible to have the search pulled up on a Google Maps in the CM website? I think some of us may have to search like "Where is this city at?" Would this be possible as well? I like the idea their William!
Oct 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Nate-892703 said: To add to your idea William, can the Devs make it possible to have the search pulled up on a Google Maps in the CM website? I think some of us may have to search like "Where is this city at?" Would this be possible as well? I like the idea their William!
My only problem with this is that Google retains this information, and I don't think anyone at Google needs to know that people are searching for Catholic singles in any particular area.

I think if the search feature can have an option added so that if one enters "Sioux Falls, SD," then only those who have "Sioux Falls, SD" as their location would appear. I can't imagine this could be too difficult.

Sometimes I'll meet someone at an event in NYC and I know she lives there, but when I search for her profile here on CM it involves a search that includes Connecticut and New Jersey, simply because parts of both states are within 25 miles of NYC.

Oct 22nd 2013 new
At one time in the past I believe you could search my State. I can't remember if by town also or not? ( they changed it )
Oct 22nd 2013 new
William, I know it's not precise for what you are looking for, but the search feature can already do what you are seeking. All you have to do is enter the name of the city and state then specify the proximity range to 25 miles and you should pretty much capture all profiles of interest. Yes, you may get some from the surrounding suburbs, but that is not an overwhelming amount of data to review.
Oct 23rd 2013 new
(quote) John-971967 said: William, I know it's not precise for what you are looking for, but the search feature can already do what you are seeking. All you have to do is enter the name of the city and state then specify the proximity range to 25 miles and you should pretty much capture all profiles of interest. Yes, you may get some from the surrounding suburbs, but that is not an overwhelming amount of data to review.
John,

Thanks for your input.

I'm running into a particular situation with NYC because of the amount of people who are in a 25-mile radius of NYC itself. This circle includes NJ and CT as well as a high number of results because of the density of the area.

It seems like it should be a simple step to isolate the results to NYC only, but I really don't know.

William
Oct 23rd 2013 new
I see; point well made, William.

I wish we had that same "problem" out here in the northwest :) But then again, we are looking just for that "one" for us.
Oct 23rd 2013 new
In my early days after joining, I wanted to establish a proportion of members that were 7/7 as compared to others, but the total number of profiles seemed to max out at 999 in any single search. Does it stop at 999 any time there are more? So, I guess what I am thinking, William, is that even if CM did make it possible to ID matches from NYC (as example), but the number exceeds 999, then you would still have a quandary on your hands; not all members from NYC would be identifiable. Than it becomes subject to random chance on repeated attempts. Right?
Oct 24th 2013 new
(quote) John-971967 said: In my early days after joining, I wanted to establish a proportion of members that were 7/7 as compared to others, but the total number of profiles seemed to max out at 999 in any single search. Does it stop at 999 any time there are more? So, I guess what I am thinking, William, is that even if CM did make it possible to ID matches from NYC (as example), but the number exceeds 999, then you would still have a quandary on your hands; not all members from NYC would be identifiable. Than it becomes subject to random chance on repeated attempts. Right?
You are correct: the search results return a limited number of results. Had you asked, I would have said I belived the number to be 1000, but it could be 999, or perhaps 1500.

If Debbie, Nathan, or Brian read this, perhaps they can provide a definitive answer.

Posts 1 - 10 of 11