Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Father Richard Rohr

Oct 22nd 2013 new
I am trying to get some information on the teachings of Father Richard Rohr. Does anyone have any concerns or comments about his work? Thank you.
Oct 22nd 2013 new
Based on association,avoid him like Typhoid Mary.
Oct 22nd 2013 new
rcspiritualdirection.com

Agreed, Tim...say no.
Oct 22nd 2013 new
This supports what others above say:

In a critique of Rohr, Fr. Bryce Sibley writes that Rohr asserts that God is neither male nor female, supports the mission of homosexual advocacy groups, asserts that the Crucifixion of Jesus was not necessary for the redemption of mankind, and criticizes Catholic rituals for a lack of efficacy.

Sibley, Rev. Bryce (2006). "The Fr. Richard Rohr Phenomenon". New Oxford Review. Retrieved April 7, 2013.
Oct 23rd 2013 new
If you are just seeking out good spiritual info or Catholic teaching.Try this out. tanbooks.benedictpress.com
Oct 23rd 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-860764 said: I am trying to get some information on the teachings of Father Richard Rohr. Does anyone have any concerns or comments about his work? Thank you.
He's a product of a screwy generation and tumultuous times in the church. One foot in, one foot out. I think his heart's in the right place, but he has made some serious errors and backed some wrong stuff. His style and issues are not mine. But love covers a multitude of sins and ultimately, he is a good man, just misguided on some key points. I applaud his love, compassion, and consistency. He is a friar . . . not perfect, but working on it. He has done much good but also caused some harm. May God guide him safely home.
Oct 24th 2013 new
(quote) David-364112 said: He's a product of a screwy generation and tumultuous times in the church. One foot in, one foot out. I think his heart's in the right place, but he has made some serious errors and backed some wrong stuff. His style and issues are not mine. But love covers a multitude of sins and ultimately, he is a good man, just misguided on some key points. I applaud his love, compassion, and consistency. He is a friar . . . not perfect, but working on it. He has done much good but also caused some harm. May God guide him safely home.
I concur with the last statement: Fr. Rohr is in great need of prayers.

The following is from the spiritualdirection.com site Rebecca posted a link to:

The CAC [founded by Fr. Rohr] was a well-known hub for the Churchs premier dissent group in the U.S., better known as Call to Action (endorses womens ordination, homosexuality, goddess worship, etc.).

Fr. Rohr has also been a long-time teacher of the Enneagram, an enormously popular New Age gimmick used for discerning ones personality type. A specific warning against the use of the Enneagram for spiritual direction is included in the pontifical document, Jesus Christ, the Bearer of the Water of Life.

Another area where he is heavily involved is in the Emerging Church Movement, which consists of a diverse group of people who identify with Christianity but think its beliefs and teachings need to be updated to better conform to modern society (read compromise the faith).

Fr. Rohr also has a weak understanding of original sin, Fr. Sibley said, noting that without a proper understanding of Original Sin, Christ is reduced to nothing more than a prophet who teaches us to love ourselves, and this is unfortunately who Rohrs Christ turns out to be.

Read more: rcspiritualdirection.com
What Fr. Rohr teaches is gravely in error. Unfortunately, he has been a prolific author, allowing him to spread these errors quite widely.

David, many of the statements you made regarding Fr. Rohr are things you have no way of knowing, one way or the other: " I think his heart's in the right place", "ultimately, he is a good man", " I applaud his love, compassion" (I will give you that he does appear to be consistent, not that that is a good thing in this case), "not perfect, but working on it", "He has done much good but also caused some harm" These are the types of judgements that are left to God, because only God is capable of judging them. And for our purposes, they don't matter.

What does matter is how Fr. Rohr's teachings compare to the objective truth's taught by the Magisterium of the Church On this criteria he is not close at all. How this will ultimately affect his eternal salvation, we do not know; but what we do know is that no Catholic should be embracing these teachings. While some of his teachings may be in accordance with the Faith, due to the numerous grave errors in his teachings and his obstinate adherence to these errors, it would be seriously imprudent for any Catholic to attempt to use him or his teachings for spiritual direction or development: if one has the knowledge to sort the wheat from the chaff, there would be no need to do sol if one does not, there is serious risk of being led into grave error.

Oct 24th 2013 new
It's sad. He's dedicated. He's been walking the walk for decades now. But he's also way off on a number of essential matters. The Vatican II generation of priests and religious is riddled with well-meaning people who fell prey to the siren song of change for the sake of change, for liturgical novelties, and for assorted causes of the political/cultural left which are at odds with Church teaching. Some have returned to the fold; others let pride and the conviction that they are right galvanize their opposition and dissent. All we can do is pray and hope.
Oct 24th 2013 new
Rohr's very popular among older clergy. I've read of his "male initiation" rites. Very bizarre stuff. At any rate, the OFMs are a dying breed.
Oct 25th 2013 new
(quote) Sean-851370 said: Rohr's very popular among older clergy. I've read of his "male initiation" rites. Very bizarre stuff. At any rate, the OFMs are a dying breed.

Sounds par for the course. This sort of thing is very dated. It's redolent of the era of confusion immediately following the close of the Second Vatican Council. Many of the people who fell for this are/were well-intentioned, but they went way too far off the path. Our pastor used to say that "novelty is the vice of the clergy". All we can do is pray. Thankfully, this sort of thing is rapidly fading into the past. We have weathered the worst of the storm. peter's boat will never sink.
Posts 1 - 10 of 16