Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Help me understand

Oct 25 new
This is a first post for me, and please note I am not condemning or judging anyone. I am very interested in a woman's position on church teaching, as are most women about a mans'. Now what I don't understand: A woman says she agrees with most teachings. She has accepted all but contraception. She has already said she agrees with papal infallibility, but rejects the encyclical Casti Connubii (Pius XI) which clearly says NO to contraception. This is not something grey, but clearly defined and infallible. Please help me to see the logic, cuz the % of selective rejection is beyond my comprehension. These are college women and I am just a high school grad. Remember, this is not me judging anyone, I clearly do not understand!
God Bless
Larry (Omaha)
Oct 26 new
Alas, I think you DO understand: they agree with papal infallibility in THEORY, but when they actually have to LIVE by it, they revert back to their own wishes. People find other ways of saying, but that is what they are actually doing.

My advice (which you did not ask for) is to stick to your beliefs and pay attention to those of others,too. and know when they are not compatible.

Take care!
Oct 26 new
Oh, and congratulations on your first posting! I hope there will be many more!
Oct 26 new
(quote) Larry-938763 said: This is a first post for me, and please note I am not condemning or judging anyone. I am very interested in a woman's position on church teaching, as are most women about a mans'. Now what I don't understand: A woman says she agrees with most teachings. She has accepted all but contraception. She has already said she agrees with papal infallibility, but rejects the encyclical Casti Connubii (Pius XI) which clearly says NO to contraception. This is not something grey, but clearly defined and infallible. Please help me to see the logic, cuz the % of selective rejection is beyond my comprehension. These are college women and I am just a high school grad. Remember, this is not me judging anyone, I clearly do not understand!
God Bless
Larry (Omaha)
Larry - I have wondered this since the day I joined. This is supposed to be a Catholic site and yet very few men agree with 7/7, usually the point of disagreement is premarital sex. There are profiles where they agree with 0/7 and never or rarely go to mass. Why they are on this site is a mystery. This has nothing to do with your level of education but rather their level of faith.

Still there are many who wholeheartedly accept all church teaching. In my months here I have found many friendships with other women and men and acceptance from like-minded folks. This is a good place to meet - at least online - a variety of good people.
Oct 26 new
(quote) Karen-856326 said: Larry - I have wondered this since the day I joined. This is supposed to be a Catholic site and yet very few men agree with 7/7, usually the point of disagreement is premarital sex. There are profiles where they agree with 0/7 and never or rarely go to mass. Why they are on this site is a mystery. This has nothing to do with your level of education but rather their level of faith.

Still there are many who wholeheartedly accept all church teaching. In my months here I have found many friendships with other women and men and acceptance from like-minded folks. This is a good place to meet - at least online - a variety of good people.
welcome, Larry.

..............pretty much what Karen said, goes for me also......
Oct 26 new
(quote) Larry-938763 said: This is a first post for me, and please note I am not condemning or judging anyone. I am very interested in a woman's position on church teaching, as are most women about a mans'. Now what I don't understand: A woman says she agrees with most teachings. She has accepted all but contraception. She has already said she agrees with papal infallibility, but rejects the encyclical Casti Connubii (Pius XI) which clearly says NO to contraception. This is not something grey, but clearly defined and infallible. Please help me to see the logic, cuz the % of selective rejection is beyond my comprehension. These are college women and I am just a high school grad. Remember, this is not me judging anyone, I clearly do not understand!
God Bless
Larry (Omaha)
There are various reasons why people respond "No" to the faith questions, especially those on per-marital sex and contraception. For the contraception question, common reasons given are (a) because they feel it is OK to use hormonal contraceptives to treat medical problems; (b) they wouldn't use them, but they don't feel it is right to dictate to others; and (c) contraceptives should be an option when there is a maternal medical condition that would make pregnancy life-threatening.

Note that (a) is permitted by Church teaching as long as the person is not sexually active while receiving the treatment; while (b) and (c) are contrary to Church teaching, they are less likely to give rise to a conflict in a given relationship than a situation where one would feel inclined to use contraceptives herself.

Because of the wide range of reasons a given person might answer a specific question "No" as well as the possibility of converting one who disagrees with the teaching, even broadly, I think that when one encounters another person they are otherwise interested in, they treat the answers to the faith questions as yellow flags rather than red flags and engage the person in a discussion about the issues at the appropriate time (N.B. I am NOT suggesting that challenging them on their responses in an initial contact -- something that does happen, and more often than not has a result that is quite opposite that which was desired).

Oct 26 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Note that (a) is permitted by Church teaching as long as the person is not sexually active while receiving the treatment;
Jerry....Is this saying that a married couple could not get get intimate? Being on the required medication could be a lifetime thing. I'm just curious.
Oct 26 new
(quote) Johnny-975202 said: Jerry....Is this saying that a married couple could not get get intimate? Being on the required medication could be a lifetime thing. I'm just curious.
Yes, it does. There are several things to keep in mind:

The hormonal contraceptives all function as abortifacients when they fail to suppress ovulation.

The medical conditions they are used to treat are not life-threatening.

There are alternative forms of treatment for most, if not all, of these conditions that are not morally objectionable. If your physician is not aware of the alternatives, find one who is. Some resources are NaPro Technologies, the Pope Paul VI Institute,and various Catholic physicians' associations.

Moral issues aside, hormonal contraceptive have potentially serious side-effects and complications from long-term use.

Oct 26 new
She needs to read "Humanae Vitae".
Oct 26 new
(quote) Barbara-948415 said: Alas, I think you DO understand: they agree with papal infallibility in THEORY, but when they actually have to LIVE by it, they revert back to their own wishes. People find other ways of saying, but that is what they are actually doing.

My advice (which you did not ask for) is to stick to your beliefs and pay attention to those of others,too. and know when they are not compatible.

Take care!
Ignorance of the teachings too, rather than seeking the reasons behind the NO' s folks just rather not obey and do what they want! It's amazing how a little knowledge and research goes a long way!!
Posts 1 - 10 of 27