Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

error: Post not found!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Last week -- in atypical overwhelming bi-partisan unity -- the House of Representatives passed a measure (H.R. 2083) that would allow schools to require teachers, coaches, and janitors to be subject to criminal background checks. The measure would allow the school to deny employment to any who had been convicted (not suspected, indicted, or accused -- but convicted) of past felonies. The measure would also allow the school to take a pass on any previously convicted sex-offender. The measure will now head to the Senate.

The Senate is majority Democrat in party affiliation, and Democrat candidates rely heavily upon huge disproportionate contributions to their campaign funds from the unions to get re-elected. So now Majority Leader Harry Reid is being lobbied hard by the teachers' unions to kill the bill, or direct fellow Democrats to vote it to defeat. (You can encourage Reid to ignore them by calling his office at 202.224.3121.)

tinyurl.com

Oct 28th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Last week -- in atypical overwhelming bi-partisan unity -- the House of Representatives passed a measure (H.R. 2083) that would allow schools to require teachers, coaches, and janitors to be subject to criminal background checks. The measure would allow the school to deny employment to any who had been convicted (not suspected, indicted, or accused -- but convicted) of past felonies. The measure would also allow the school to take a pass on any previously convicted sex-offender. The measure will now head to the Senate.
The Senate is majority Democrat in party affiliation, and Democrat candidates rely heavily upon huge disproportionate contributions to their campaign funds from the unions to get re-elected. So now Majority Leader Harry Reid is being lobbied hard by the teachers' unions to kill the bill, or direct fellow Democrats to vote it to defeat. (You can encourage Reid to ignore them by calling his office at 202.224.3121.)

http://tinyurl.com/m4lwjke

Hi Jerry,

It's nice to know that the House can agree on something these days, particularly the idea that children should be protected from criminals. I've looked at the bill, and I don't see anything on the surface that should generate any controversy.

I'm curious as to why a teacher's union would be against this.

Jim ☺
Oct 28th 2013 new
The National Teachers Association has been infiltrated with communistic and a very liberal agenda for decades. They are pro-choice and are often a place where some individuals that would prey on child find a niche due to the NEA support of alternate lifestyles. I was surprised that this would not be done as an employment requirement and it reaffirmed the awful moral state of our public schools.
Oct 28th 2013 new
Kristin, thanks for starting a topic to pray for the passage of this legislation!

www.catholicmatch.com

Oct 28th 2013 new
As a public school teacher I am absolutely sick to my stomach. After my son completed second grade we found out that his teacher had been sexually assaulting the little girls in the class the entire year. He had already been accused of sexually fondling little girls several years earlier but the parents did not press charges so he slipped under the radar. My son watched as his teachers face was plastered all over the news for days. He said, "I wish they would stop showing my teacher on TV". THIS IS DISGUSTING!! The next year I homeschooled our kids and they didn't return to school until they were in high school. I am SICK that the teacher's union would not support protection of our children.
Oct 28th 2013 new
(quote) Kristin-926543 said: The National Teachers Association has been infiltrated with communistic and a very liberal agenda for decades. They are pro-choice and are often a place where some individuals that would prey on child find a niche due to the NEA support of alternate lifestyles. I was surprised that this would not be done as an employment requirement and it reaffirmed the awful moral state of our public schools.
I am an elementary teacher and when I was hired at my new school (about 8 years ago), I was fingerprinted. I figured they were doing some sort of background check. Since I don't have any sort of criminal past, I wasn't worried, but it never entered my mind to ask what sort of background check they actually do.

I am fully in support of any sort of deeper background check and can't believe I've read that it's been said that "people should have 'chances' to overcome their background". Yes they should, but not when working with kids. www.foxnews.com
Oct 28th 2013 new
rolling eyes Hannah Maluyao |
October 25, 2013 | 4:08 a.m. PDT
PDT
story

Staff Reporter

Pedophilia Now Classified As A Sexual Orientation

In the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM V), the American Psychological Association (APA) drew a very distinct line between pedophilia and pedophilic disorder. Pedophilia refers to a sexual orientation or profession of sexual preference devoid of consummation, whereas pedophilic disorder is defined as a compulsion and is used in reference to individuals who act on their sexuality. www.neontommy.com
Oct 28th 2013 new
I'm saddened...but also confused. I've been volunteering, training, and/or employed in daily 1:1 and group contact with children for nearly 20 years now, in five states over the years. I've needed to undergo criminal background checks, with fingerprinting, and obtain child abuse clearances at every stop. These were required for employment. Is it not already the case that any of the entities who hired me would have denied employment, if any of these had not come back clean? Is this a reluctance to make it a federal, rather than a state mandate? Might it just be that there is a desire to keep it in the hands of the states?
Oct 28th 2013 new
(quote) Rebecca-443773 said: I'm saddened...but also confused. I've been volunteering, training, and/or employed in daily 1:1 and group contact with children for nearly 20 years now, in five states over the years. I've needed to undergo criminal background checks, with fingerprinting, and obtain child abuse clearances at every stop. These were required for employment. Is it not already the case that any of the entities who hired me would have denied employment, if any of these had not come back clean? Is this a reluctance to make it a federal, rather than a state mandate? Might it just be that there is a desire to keep it in the hands of the states?
But were you a member of the teacher's union?

Oct 28th 2013 new
Upon closer reading, Jerry, no, I have never a member of the union. I was somehow assessed "fees" anyway, (not dues, but of course, the same monetary amount yearly, by "coincidence".) but have always refused to join. Now I know my instincts were good, eh?

The American Speech-Language and Hearing Association has taken flak for not aligning with the NEA before. Let's hope my professional association is smart enough to take the heat on this issue, too.

Posts 1 - 10 of 62