Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Do you pass out candy?

Oct 31st 2013 new
I live in an appartment complex and so we do not give out candy.
Oct 31st 2013 new
No, I just pass out!

(rimshot)
Oct 31st 2013 new
I always did pass out candy when I had a kid or two at home to keep the dogs calm and quiet. Now that the kids are all on their own I keep the porch light off.

Trick or treating has changed. It used to be a neighborhood thing. Now parents bring children in by the carload to areas they suspect are more apt to give nice goodies.
Oct 31st 2013 new
Yes, usually. Before I leave for work, the last few years I've left a bowl of candy on the porch hoping the monsters will be honest. One year the weather was bad and there were actually 3 Reese's Peanut Butter cups left in the bowl. I think they were honest that year. Other times, I've come home to an empty bowl, a few discarded wrappers, a small mess. sorry One year some little devil stole my ceramic pumpkin.

Sometimes the really young kids come first with their parents and that's fine with me. I think the parents (I hope) will tell them to be honest and only take one or two pieces of candy.

I think the little boy next door is playing a trick on me. Lately, I've been finding a rubber mouse right next to my mailbox. I thought it was plastic at first, when I picked it up and it felt rubbery - it made me go - EEEK! laughing
Oct 31st 2013 new
(quote) Bernadette-363720 said: I live in an appartment complex and so we do not give out candy.
I have a lot of kids in my neighborhood and am always afraid I'll run out of candy. Always buy too much. Used to take it to work, but since I retired, A family down the street with 6 kids gets the surplus!
Oct 31st 2013 new
I give candy or toys to kids I know. It is rare that strangers go up to kids to give candy. That, of course, is a no no. There are also no children that live in the small building I live in.

Here, there are several ways kids trick or treat. Most people do not let anyone into buildings, so kids do not go to strangers apartments door to door usually. People who live in large buildings or complexes will let their kids trick or treat within the building/complex. People who don't live in a big buildings/complex will go to retail stores to trick or treat. The store owners are very accommodating. Many schools and community centers have parties for the kids. Going trick or treating to strangers homes is pretty much a thing of the past, and rarely do people wait in their homes with the bowl of candy ready for trick or treaters. There is more collective community involvement and effort to ensure kids have a fun Halloween, which I think is great.

Oct 31st 2013 new
No. I wish the neighborhood was like it was when I was a kid. Everyone took their kids out then. But now, even though there are quite a few kids, very few go out, and there are too many that are way too old tobe trick or treating.
Oct 31st 2013 new
If you're willing to brave the freeway...come on down!!! The adults will be having a pizza party beforehand, and we'll be passing out candy til the candy runs out or the kids do...whichever comes first!!
Oct 31st 2013 new
Yes, lots of it!! My neighborhood (and probably a large part of Huntley) is like it was when I was a kid. Kids are EVERYWHERE trick or treating. Parents are with younger kids, with many of those parents also dressed in a costume. Someone is usually playing music on my street, loud enough for everyone to hear. Sometimes a neighbor may give out hot chocolate, if it's a really cold Halloween. Most neighbors have their houses with some sort of decoration.

I usually make a big pot of filling soup for my own kids, so when they stop on home to dump some of their candy, I can fill their stomachs in prep for round 2. Today, I also have fresh bread baking....so that'll be a nice treat.
Oct 31st 2013 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: I have a lot of kids in my neighborhood and am always afraid I'll run out of candy. Always buy too much. Used to take it to work, but since I retired, A family down the street with 6 kids gets the surplus!
Sure enough it's only 7:30PM and it's starting to rain. Stuck again with piles of candy.
Posts 1 - 10 of 30