Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Dear friends. A happy and blessed Sunday to you all. Is it a sin to attend mass while having influenza or cough? You know that you may spread the virus or infect other people in church with influenza virus even though you don't have intention to harm them. I know that while we are sick, it's OK not to attend mass. But is it a sin if we come to mass while we are sick?
Nov 3rd 2013 new
It's probably a good idea if someone IS sick attending with the flu or cough to nod at the sign of peace rather than shake hands.
Nov 3rd 2013 new
It's probably OK if you are wearing a burqa ... or sump'nlikit.
Nov 3rd 2013 new
It's surely not a mortal sin if you're not purposely trying to make other people sick. I really don't think it is a sin at all, since Jesus himself welcomed sick people and healed them during his ministry. But... out of courtesy... cover your coughs and sneezes and don't shake hands and nod you head or something as pointed out earlier.

If it's a flu and you really can't get out of bed anyway... I was always told that God understands if you can't make it to mass due to severe illness, but you still need to devote some special time to God. You can try doing a Eucharistic adoration from home with the site savior.org. They have a webcam which always shows the Eucharist in exposition.
Nov 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Anne-976912 said: It's probably a good idea if someone IS sick attending with the flu or cough to nod at the sign of peace rather than shake hands.
Thanks, Anne. That's true, to minimize the spreading of virus, we should avoid contact with other people while having flu. Sometimes the cough or sniff is unbearable.
Nov 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Robert-834944 said: It's surely not a mortal sin if you're not purposely trying to make other people sick. I really don't think it is a sin at all, since Jesus himself welcomed sick people and healed them during his ministry. But... out of courtesy... cover your coughs and sneezes and don't shake hands and nod you head or something as pointed out earlier.

If it's a flu and you really can't get out of bed anyway... I was always told that God understands if you can't make it to mass due to severe illness, but you still need to devote some special time to God. You can try doing a Eucharistic adoration from home with the site savior.org. They have a webcam which always shows the Eucharist in exposition.
Thanks Robert. Thanks for the website http://www.savior.org. I will check this website. God bless you.
Nov 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Roystan-340472 said: It's probably OK if you are wearing a burqa ... or sump'nlikit.
Roystan, sorry, I don't know about a burqa or sump'nlikit. Do people go to church wearing a burqa or what is that sump'nlikit? Thanks for your comment, anyway. scratchchin
Nov 3rd 2013 new
Not a sin, but if one is in a very infectious state and there's no place in the church to sit away from others, it might be best to stay home. There is usually a mass that's sparsely attended or a church that's so big that the sick person can keep a few pews away from the others.

Nov 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Melissa-407647 said: Thanks Robert. Thanks for the website www.savior.org. I will check this website. God bless you.
But why is it not a sin when someone causes other people to get infected while this person knows that he/ she is sick? The infection will cause discomfort and inconvenience to people who get infected. Furthermore, if the flu is the types that can cause fatality, such as SARS or H1N1 or bird flu or other type of dangerous virus, it will cause great suffering or even death. Isn't it causing other people to suffer against Jesus' teaching (which is love)?
Nov 3rd 2013 new
(quote) David-364112 said: Not a sin, but if one is in a very infectious state and there's no place in the church to sit away from others, it might be best to stay home. There is usually a mass that's sparsely attended or a church that's so big that the sick person can keep a few pews away from the others.

Thanks David.
Posts 1 - 10 of 37