Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Hello,

I am very new to CM and still haven't figured out all that is available here. I see here that the forums are kind of an encourging each other section so....

One of the benifits I see in having a significant other in our lives the nurturing and affirmation that our human nature needs to be emotionally healthy. Well, as an older adult my kids are grown and out of town, obviously my parents are gone and friends are not always available.

Any ideas or sugestions of what to do or where to turn when it just seems to get too hard, too many disapointments.. just a general lack of attention?

I am a very faith filled person, involved in many activities and am very giving. I don't want to wine but sometimes it feels like I do all the giving and no one notices that I have needs too. So! How do I reach out to others to say Hey, it's my turn! and what do I do when that doesn't work?

Thanks all. I hope this works!

Theresa

Nov 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Theresa-1009639 said: Hello,

I am very new to CM and still haven't figured out all that is available here. I see here that the forums are kind of an encourging each other section so....

One of the benifits I see in having a significant other in our lives the nurturing and affirmation that our human nature needs to be emotionally healthy. Well, as an older adult my kids are grown and out of town, obviously my parents are gone and friends are not always available.

Any ideas or sugestions of what to do or where to turn when it just seems to get too hard, too many disapointments.. just a general lack of attention?

I am a very faith filled person, involved in many activities and am very giving. I don't want to wine but sometimes it feels like I do all the giving and no one notices that I have needs too. So! How do I reach out to others to say Hey, it's my turn! and what do I do when that doesn't work?

Thanks all. I hope this works!

Theresa

Welcome, Theresa, to the forums!

Yes, support and encouragement are part of what you can get from the forums. Reaching out with our needs is a way to possibly get them filled. I am eager to read other people's posts in your thread, as your malady is also occasionally my malady too. I have been a servant, a giving person for most of my life, but was taken for granted for that giving as well. And a number of times, this ewer ran dry and no one was willing to fill it back up so that it could continue to give. That thirst can drive ya batty!

If we are here to grow in our relationship with the Lord, it could be that He is calling us nearer to Him through these dry times, through our emptiness and neediness. He desires that we look not to the world for our re-filling, but to Him. I don't know--maybe you & I were too long a Martha. Maybe we need to be Mary and sit at Jesus' feet now for extensive times, listening to Him, and this could be our refreshing so that we can continue to give to others.
Nov 3rd 2013 new
Here's another thought:
Have you heard how, when we feel hungry, it's not always food that our body is needing--sometimes it is actually thirsting for water rather than for food?
And have you ever had the experience of "I have nothing to wear" when the closet is full, or "there's nothing to eat" when the cupboards are overflowing?
The same could be the hunger for support or attention that we occasionally feel. Sometimes we're concentrating on one particular answer, or looking in one particular place for satisfaction of our need--but we either have blinders on and don't see what's there, or we're looking in the wrong place for what it is we lack, or we're just plain stubborn and dissatisfied and proud. Other times, it could be the evil one who whispers to us about our lack even when Bountiful is right before us.
Nov 3rd 2013 new
welcome to the forums, Theresa.....[my daughter's name minus the ''h'']. There are very knowledgeable and friendly folks here.
Nov 3rd 2013 new
Hello Theresa biggrin scratchchinMuch of what you mention has been my feelings before.One of the beauties of Catholic Match for me, is the joy of writing to men and women here as friends...I can't tell you how much this has meant for me,something I've never had before .The giving and receiving of prayer and kind words
is a true balm.God bless. rose
Nov 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Lina-796057 said: Here's another thought:
Have you heard how, when we feel hungry, it's not always food that our body is needing--sometimes it is actually thirsting for water rather than for food?
And have you ever had the experience of "I have nothing to wear" when the closet is full, or "there's nothing to eat" when the cupboards are overflowing?
The same could be the hunger for support or attention that we occasionally feel. Sometimes we're concentrating on one particular answer, or looking in one particular place for satisfaction of our need--but we either have blinders on and don't see what's there, or we're looking in the wrong place for what it is we lack, or we're just plain stubborn and dissatisfied and proud. Other times, it could be the evil one who whispers to us about our lack even when Bountiful is right before us.
Great post, Lina! angel
Nov 3rd 2013 new
What a great first post---and Forum Topic, besides! :-) Thanks!

I have been nurturing my mind and heart lately with an intense Scripture class---Rather than just reading one gospel or chapter in its entirety and studyingthis class has me frantically hopping around the Good News in the OT/NTand totally overwhelming me (a good thing!) with great heavenly minded guidancecomparing, and threading prophecy with promise. Very engaging...I also try to get adequate rest, nutrition, and fresh airto keep me balanced.

When I am weak in Spirit, which is often, I simply must lean on Abba Father's shoulderI cannot make it without Gracetotal Gracebut I do my fair share at trying to keep myself nurturedand He has to do the rest for me!

My deceased husband was my biggest fanand real supporterand without himI simply had to discipline myself to get in the Word daily. It lifts my Spirit and puts my mind on things above. I forced myself to speed-walk for exercise, and I make myself eat on a standard 3 times a day schedule. So structure, discipline, and tons of talking to Godhas helped

So, I work to keep "dancing" and follow His lead :-) CM Forum offers a neat community for support and great discussion, too. Still raising teenagers makes it hard to think clearly enough to post, but I do read CM daily too, and I value the companionship for this journey to learn God's will. Again, welcome, Theresa! Barbara
Nov 4th 2013 new
(quote) Theresa-1009639 said: How do I reach out to others to say Hey, it's my turn! and what do I do when that doesn't work?

Theresa, 'if it doesn't work'---if others can't give you what you need to feel appreciated, then reach out to those who probably can't even tell you 'thanks'--like the elderly & disabled.
There are millions of these folks who need someone to reach out to them, because they're truly alone, lonely and forgotten. The kindness you show to them, might only be known to you and God. But your heart will change. You get a Gold Star! theheart You get a Gold Star!
Then at night, take a warm bath, pray, get to bed early, tell God to take care of things while you sleepand the next morning, get up/grab some nourishment/pray, and start over again---
Self nurturing heart is really just the simple things that you and God supply, so you can continue to serve.
Nov 8th 2013 new
but don't stop searching for things that are self nurturing
Nov 8th 2013 new
I'm headed to a BE retreat this weekend.
Posts 1 - 10 of 12