Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

What is Common Core?

Nov 7th 2013 new
This is to get some people thinking about the issue of Common Core. I did not know much about it before six weeks ago and then I attended a weekend conference on it and since then I have been researching about it and I am not liking what I see at all. I was wondering how much you all know about the issue of the proposed Common Core issue in our education system. I know it can vary by state but in my state of KS it has been accepted and I am concerned about the future education of our nation. 45 states have signed on to it and four of them do not allow it at all. The states that accepted it signed on to it in 2009 and it is slowly being implemented and from what I can tell the main pressure is to get Catholic schools and private schools to sign on to it and then the Catholic schools are controlled by an NGO and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the system shares its information with the Feds. Has anyone heard of it and if so then what do you all know about it? I have heard some talks on it but I do not understand it very well because I am totally new to the concept.
Nov 7th 2013 new
I don't know but how is this going to play on the future of parents right to home school their children. I was just wandering since they are trying to get catholic and parochial schools to sign on.
Nov 8th 2013 new
Bernard - I stumbled across a sample lesson online. It was supposedly an English lesson where students were tasked with rewriting confusing sentences in a more compact form. The theme was the president with sentences such as the president's job is very hard, the president's job is to make sure laws are fair. See a pattern emerging?

Nov 8th 2013 new
(quote) Bernard-974944 said: This is to get some people thinking about the issue of Common Core. I did not know much about it before six weeks ago and then I attended a weekend conference on it and since then I have been researching about it and I am not liking what I see at all. I was wondering how much you all know about the issue of the proposed Common Core issue in our education system. I know it can vary by state but in my state of KS it has been accepted and I am concerned about the future education of our nation. 45 states have signed on to it and four of them do not allow it at all. The states that accepted it signed on to it in 2009 and it is slowly being implemented and from what I can tell the main pressure is to get Catholic schools and private schools to sign on to it and then the Catholic schools are controlled by an NGO and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the system shares its information with the Feds. Has anyone heard of it and if so then what do you all know about it? I have heard some talks on it but I do not understand it very well because I am totally new to the concept.
Bernard,

I believe that you will find this very recent news report interesting and useful. I saw it just a few days ago on EWTN. It is a news interview discussing Common Core and some of the implications and concerns for Catholic and public schools.

Scroll down to "EWTN News Nightly" and pick on the show "EWTN NEWS NIGHTLY WITH COLLEEN CARROLL CAMPBELL - International Religious Freedom"
www.ewtn.com

I don't recall exactly where in the video the Common Core subject is discussed. I believe that the discussion was about 10-15 minutes long.

Ed
Nov 8th 2013 new
(quote) ED-20630 said: Bernard,

I believe that you will find this very recent news report interesting and useful. I saw it just a few days ago on EWTN. It is a news interview discussing Common Core and some of the implications and concerns for Catholic and public schools.

Scroll down to "EWTN News Nightly" and pick on the show "EWTN NEWS NIGHTLY WITH COLLEEN CARROLL CAMPBELL - International Religious Freedom"
http://www.ewtn.com/multimedia/video.asp

I don't recall exactly where in the video the Common Core subject is discussed. I believe that the discussion was about 10-15 minutes long.

Ed
Bernard,

The Common Core discussion starts 3 minutes and 50 seconds into the news report noted in my prior post.

Ed
Nov 10th 2013 new
I would be surprised if Common Core was not implemented in my one party state, the People's Republic of Maryland, but we see in the video that it is.
Nov 10th 2013 new
(quote) Bernard-974944 said: This is to get some people thinking about the issue of Common Core. I did not know much about it before six weeks ago and then I attended a weekend conference on it and since then I have been researching about it and I am not liking what I see at all. I was wondering how much you all know about the issue of the proposed Common Core issue in our education system. I know it can vary by state but in my state of KS it has been accepted and I am concerned about the future education of our nation. 45 states have signed on to it and four of them do not allow it at all. The states that accepted it signed on to it in 2009 and it is slowly being implemented and from what I can tell the main pressure is to get Catholic schools and private schools to sign on to it and then the Catholic schools are controlled by an NGO and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the system shares its information with the Feds. Has anyone heard of it and if so then what do you all know about it? I have heard some talks on it but I do not understand it very well because I am totally new to the concept.
Bernard,

There was a very good discussion of Common Core on EWTN "The World Over" 11/7/2013 show. Below is the link to the video. Just click on the link below, then scroll to the show shown below:

WORLD OVER - 2013/11/07 - BILL O'REILLY, JENI STEP...
World Over - Raymond Arroyo - Bill O'Reilly, Jeni Stepanek - Bill O'Reilly, Common Core Controversy, Jeni Stepanek
www.ewtn.com

Ed
Nov 10th 2013 new
I know people who are very involved in trying to stop Common Core in California. It's bad.
Nov 12th 2013 new
(quote) ED-20630 said: Bernard,

There was a very good discussion of Common Core on EWTN "The World Over" 11/7/2013 show. Below is the link to the video. Just click on the link below, then scroll to the show shown below:

WORLD OVER - 2013/11/07 - BILL O'REILLY, JENI STEP...World Over - Raymond Arroyo - Bill O'Reilly, Jeni Stepanek - Bill O'Reilly, Common Core Controversy, Jeni Stepanek
http://www.ewtn.com/multimedia/video.asp

Ed
Common Core is being discussed today on EWTN's Open Line radio show. I believe there is an on-line audio archive.

On this show they mentioned the group Pittsburgh Catholics Against Common Core, which has a web site with a great deal of information regading the problems with Common Core.

www.pghcatholicsagainstcommoncore.com

Nov 12th 2013 new
Crisis Magazine has published a number of articles on Common Core. Here is a link to one, Cross Purposes: Catholic Education and Common Core; there are links to several others at the end of that article.

tinyurl.com

Posts 1 - 10 of 16