Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

I wasn't properly catechized growing up, although I have worked diligently the last two years digging deeeper into catholicism and the churches teachings. I especially love watching journey home with marcus grodi, listening to scott hahn and tim staples. My question is, how can someone say they are catholic, but not abide by the teachers teaching? What I mean, is when I view profiles, I see where men say NO to the teachings of the church in regards to premarial sex and NO to contraception? hmmmm, anyone get bothered by that? I know I can just move onto the next profile and everyone has free will and can believe what they way, but there was a reason why Jesus left the authority to Peter, afterall, our Popes can be traced all the way back to peter.....

15 Jesus saith to them: But whom do you say that I am?

16 Simon Peter answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answering, said to him: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven.

18 And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.

So because Peter was given the authority to bind and loose, so the keys are passed......

So I am just venting because I don't believe alot of people here on catholicmatch.com understand fully what it is to be catholic. We can justify sin in our lives as much as we want, and check the boxes to NO so that we go against the teachings. So some people who check the box NO to premarital sex, really? or check NO to the teachings of contraception? They go hand in hand. Sex is a beautiful thing from God and sex is between a husband and wife where no contraception should be a part of a marriage. We are to procreate.....

Nov 10 new
Hi Sharon, Yes, I especially get concerned when a person says "No" to the teachings of the church regarding pre-marital sex. I also am very concerned when a person answers "No" to sanctity of life. But let's look at pre-marital sex: By definition, fornication is sex between 2 unmarried persons. So, pre-marital sex is fornication. Christians need to read the Bible: In the gospel of Matthew 15:19-20, Jesus makes it clear that fornication is a serious sin. So, my point is that it is not just the church that teaches fornication is sin, it is also Jesus Himself who says it is sin. Also see 1 Corinthians 6:9. I would bet that some people would argue that as long as 2 people love each other, that pre-marital sex is ok. But, I believe true love waits. As Jason Evert, a well-known chastity speaker, said: "Lust cannot wait to get, but true love will wait (until marriage) and give". Tragically, some people have the mentality that if you add "love" to the equation, then that justifies any action. But I disagree. True love is sacrifice and true love will wait. There are no exceptions to God's commandments. If someone says that pre-marital sex is ok as long as the couple loves each other, then I would challenge them and say: well if we're going to talk about love, let's see what Jesus says about love....... Jesus said "If you love me, you will obey my commandments" (John 14:15). Jesus commands us that fornication (pre-marital sex) is sin. Yes, sex is a wonderful gift from God....a gift only for husband and wife. We are happier if we do it God's way.
Nov 10 new
Hi Sharon,

We all wonder about that. At some point, if the interest is there, one can ask them "why" they don't. I've also seen "no" to the Eucharist! Figure that one out....
Nov 10 new
lately anyone viewing my profile says that they rarely attend mass
Nov 10 new
(quote) Susan-857876 said: lately anyone viewing my profile says that they rarely attend mass
Really, Susan? On Mass, most I see do say weekly or regular Sunday Mass.
Nov 10 new
(quote) Sharon-975094 said:

So I am just venting because I don't believe alot of people here on catholicmatch.com understand fully what it is to be catholic.

THAT is the truth.

Don't forget to model and (gently!!!!!) teach them.
Nov 11 new
One of the best Catholics I met on this site was a 4//7. Better than many 7/7's I've communicated with.
Nov 11 new
Who are we to say who's catholic and who isn't? We don't know the state of someone else's soul or what lies deep in their hearts. It's better to approach one another with compassion and tolerance rather than censure and dismay.

theheart
Nov 11 new
Well said David.
Nov 11 new
(quote) David-364112 said: .
Who are we to say who's catholic and who isn't? We don't know the state of someone else's soul or what lies deep in their hearts. It's better to approach one another with compassion and tolerance rather than censure and dismay.

Seems to be a conflict in your statements David. scratchchin David said: One of the best Catholics I met on this site was a 4//7. Better than many 7/7's I've communicated with.
Posts 1 - 10 of 189