Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of prayer life, posting prayers of the Church and prayer requests.

Saint Jude is the patron saint of lost causes and desperate situations.
Learn more: Saint Jude

prayer for homeless

Nov 10 new
a huge problem locally around us.

..............a very high percentage of folks, are mentally ill with huge deficits in services.
Nov 10 new
Praying rosary theheart
Nov 10 new
Susan,

Thank you for your prayers for the homeless. Serving the homeless is my vocation; a very rewarding vocation.
There are a myriad of reasons for homelessness, especially a lack of affordable housing. A minimum wage job hardly supports housing costs (rent and utilities). If the workplace is not within walking distance or a bicycle is not practical transportation costs must be included as well.
The wage gap is a huge barrier for many families. As income rises slightly, other resources (such as food stamps, childcare vouchers, housing subsidies, medicaid) can fall off leaving a family even more financially vulnerable. An excellent presentation of the dilemma of the wage gap is on youtube if you Google - "Circles Initiative", "wage gap", and youtube. It is the Adams County Circles Initiative link. It is well worth the 5 minutes to view it.

Again, thank you for prayers for the homeless.

Nov 10 new
(quote) Ken-1025595 said: Susan,

Thank you for your prayers for the homeless. Serving the homeless is my vocation; a very rewarding vocation.
There are a myriad of reasons for homelessness, especially a lack of affordable housing. A minimum wage job hardly supports housing costs (rent and utilities). If the workplace is not within walking distance or a bicycle is not practical transportation costs must be included as well.
The wage gap is a huge barrier for many families. As income rises slightly, other resources (such as food stamps, childcare vouchers, housing subsidies, medicaid) can fall off leaving a family even more financially vulnerable. An excellent presentation of the dilemma of the wage gap is on youtube if you Google - "Circles Initiative", "wage gap", and youtube. It is the Adams County Circles Initiative link. It is well worth the 5 minutes to view it.
Again, thank you for prayers for the homeless.

I see the reasons for homelessness as 1) mental illness 2) drugs/alcohol 3) choice. I do NOT see the reasons being lack of availability of low income housing or of minimum wage jobs. I work at a very low income school. These families are literally given EVERYTHING by our government. They do NOT have to work for ANYTHING. It is a serious tragedy!! They are given a backpack filled with school supplies at the beginning of the school year and within the first week they have "lost" everything. SO we give them another one. This process continues throughout the entire year. Our country provides WAY too many handouts, including "free housing". The real tragedy is the lack of mental INSTITUTIONS. Those suffering from mental illness should be required to be on treatment and in a living facility that monitors their behaviors and access to drugs/alcohol. I would be willing to put my tax dollars towards the institutionalizing of our mentally ill and take my tax dollars away from those who are homeless because of choice or addictions. The lack of jobs to sustain a family is a tragedy brought on by cooperate greed and a current administration that supports more taxation.
Nov 10 new
imho the lack of mental health services is the main culprit
Nov 10 new
Susan, I join you in praying for the homeless.

Being poor means being an illness, an accident, or a paycheck away from living on the streets. Homelessness and poverty are inextricably linked. There is also the issue of domestic violence. Domestic violence is the second leading cause of homelessness among women. Battered women who live in poverty are often forced to choose between abusive relationships and homelessness. Nationally, approximately half of all women and children experiencing homelessness are fleeing domestic violence.

In my own county (Miami-Dade), the total number of homeless persons on the street on an average night is 1,347. Most people who experience homelessness (83%) are homeless for a short period of time, and usually need help finding housing or a rent subsidy. A small portion (17%) is homeless for long periods of time or cycle in and out of homelessness. They need permanent supportive housing.

Nov 10 new
Praying theheart hug
Nov 10 new
(quote) Susan-857876 said: a huge problem locally around us.

..............a very high percentage of folks, are mentally ill with huge deficits in services.

Oh my goodness. Here too.

Praying rosary theheart

Nov 10 new
(quote) Susan-857876 said: a huge problem locally around us.

Praying Praying Praying theheart
Nov 10 new
(quote) Joan-529855 said: Our country provides WAY too many handouts, including "free housing". 
I am not aware of "free housing" for any families except those with $0 income. All HUD dollars in the programs we administer require families to pay 30% of their income toward housing. A single parent working at minimum wage, making around 13-14 thousand a year, will be paying about $400/month for their "free housing". Hopefully, they have childcare vouchers or another large portion of their check will go for that. Transportation costs can also eat up a check. Attempting to get out of this situation can be even more difficult.

In regards to institutions - I do not believe tax payers want to pay the high costs of institutionalization. Permanent housing is often even less expensive than running homeless shelters. The cost of someone actually living on the street can be astronomical. Emergency room costs from illness associated with living outdoors with medical ailments can run over $100,000 a year compared to the much more economical costs of permanent safe and affordable housing. Helping someone navigate being discharged from the hospital with no supports is a true lesson in respect for other's situations. Calling agencies to assist with the costs of colostomy bags while dealing with homelessness is something people should not have to deal with in our society. On Veteran's Day let us remember the homeless Veterans who sacrificed so much for our freedom.
Posts 1 - 10 of 28