Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

This is an interesting article about Chris West's take on TOB:

tinyurl.com

[Moderator's Note: truncated URL in hyperlink corrected.]

Nov 11 new
The priest's actual article looked interesting, too.
Nov 11 new
It was very interesting and telling, in my opinion, about the craze surrounding him. I would like to know, in addition to this, whether or not he is doing it deliberately? I wonder if he came up with it on his own, or if someone put him up to it?
Nov 11 new
Dr. Alice von Hildebrand's comments regarding Christopher West's presentation of ToB may be found at www.catholicnewsagency.com

There was a rather length discussion about Christopher West and ToB in the CM forums earlier this year that may be worth reading:

www.catholicmatch.com

Nov 12 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Dr. Alice von Hildebrand's comments regarding Christopher West's presentation of ToB may be found at http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/document.php?n=999

There was a rather length discussion about Christopher West and ToB in the CM forums earlier this year that may be worth reading:

http://www.catholicmatch.com/forums/topics/posts.html?topic_id=187322

Thanks Jerry. I remember reading Alice von Hildebrand's criticism and it's quite powerful. Believe it or not, there are more clergy that are opposed to West than people are being led to believe. I have talked to priests who have stated hesitations aboutvwhat he is doing.
Nov 14 new
One of the main criticisms I have heard, is that he seems to open up the door to rationalizing sin. I can definitely see that. He seems to emphasize to his audiences that because people desire something, that desire must be automatically good. If one reads encyclicals of various popes, one thing they emphasize is training oneself to desire godly things.
Nov 15 new
This really is a trip. We are literally going through this in the men of faith group at my Church right now.
Nov 17 new
(quote) Herbert-1016655 said: This really is a trip. We are literally going through this in the men of faith group at my Church right now.
Exactly. The "Young Adults Ministry" seems to center around his writings which seem to have nothing to do with Catholicism.
Nov 17 new
(quote) Greg-902815 said: Exactly. The "Young Adults Ministry" seems to center around his writings which seem to have nothing to do with Catholicism.
Anytime a lay person takes it upon themselves to interpret writings by the Church fathers, of which Blessed John Paul will certainly be counted, without training, without sanction, one must take their expoundings with a large salt lick.

Chris West has made a tidy career for himself, setting himself up as (rightfully or not) the authority on ToB. One always has to ask "To what purpose?"

When a distinguished commentator such as Dr. VonHildebrand questions it, who has the wisdom of age, study, and experience behind her (and her husband, RIP), I'd tend to err on the side of wisdom than PR.

Nov 17 new
(quote) Bryan-7889 said: Anytime a lay person takes it upon themselves to interpret writings by the Church fathers, of which Blessed John Paul will certainly be counted, without training, without sanction, one must take their expoundings with a large salt lick.

Chris West has made a tidy career for himself, setting himself up as (rightfully or not) the authority on ToB. One always has to ask "To what purpose?"

When a distinguished commentator such as Dr. VonHildebrand questions it, who has the wisdom of age, study, and experience behind her (and her husband, RIP), I'd tend to err on the side of wisdom than PR.

When using the term "Church Fathers" we need to be careful.

In the classic meaning of the term, John Paul II will never be considered a "Church Father" because by definition the last "Church Father" died well before the year 600 AD.

When the term is used imprecisely to indicate either a great teacher or a great leader (or both) of the Church, then yes, John Paul II is definitely counted among them. More appropriately, after he is Canonized, he will probably be recognized as a "Doctor" of the Church. If not right away, at some relatively short time in the future.

Posts 1 - 10 of 44