Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

False compassion

Nov 14 new
O boy some on here need to read up on Catholic Teaching rather then going around promoting a false sense of compassion. How can we say we love out fellow man or have compassion towards them when we see them in sin and dont even bother to try and correct them?

"Catholic doctrine tells us that the primary duty of charity does not lie in the toleration of false ideas, however sincere they may be, nor in the theoretical or practical indifference towards the errors and vices in which we see our brethren plunged but in the zeal for their intellectual and moral improvement as well as for their material well-being...."

Pope Saint Pius the Xth

Sure I understand we need to be careful at times in our approach no doubt, but to say that because I'm a sinner, and I am, this somehow removes from me the requirements and duties as a Catholic is so dubious. If this were the case Christ would'nt need to establish a Church, one which would be headed by sinners on Earth, afterall were all sinful. We should all pause and contemplate the works of Mercy we are called to do as Catholics.

I'll quote Pope Saint Pius once more:

"True, Jesus has loved us with an immense, infinite love, and He came on earth to suffer and die so that, gathered around Him in justice and love, motivated by the same sentiments of mutual charity, all men might live in peace and happiness. But for the realization of this temporal and eternal happiness, He has laid down with supreme authority the condition that we must belong to His Flock, that we must accept His doctrine, that we must practice virtue, and that we must accept the teaching and guidance of Peter and his successors.

Further, whilst Jesus was kind to sinners and to those who went astray, He did not respect their false ideas, however sincere they might have appeared. He loved them all, but He instructed them in order to convert them and save them. Whilst He called to Himself in order to comfort them, those who toiled and suffered, it was not to preach to them the jealousy of a chimerical equality. Whilst He lifted up the lowly, it was not to instill in them the sentiment of a dignity independent from, and rebellious against, the duty of obedience. Whilst His heart overflowed with gentleness for the souls of good-will, He could also arm Himself with holy indignation against the profaners of the House of God, (Those who seek to compromise what it means to be Catholic for example) against the wretched men who scandalized the little ones, against the authorities who crush the people with the weight of heavy burdens without putting out a hand to lift them.

He was as strong as he was gentle. He reproved, threatened, chastised, knowing, and teaching us that fear is the beginning of wisdom, and that it is sometimes proper for a man to cut off an offending limb to save his body. Finally, He did not announce for future society the reign of an ideal happiness from which suffering would be banished; but, by His lessons and by His example, He traced the path of the happiness which is possible on earth and of the perfect happiness in heaven: the royal way of the Cross. These are teachings that it would be wrong to apply only to one's personal life in order to win eternal salvation; these are eminently social teachings, and they show in Our Lord Jesus Christ something quite different from an inconsistent and impotent humanitarianism.'

Pope St. Pius X, 'Our Apostolic Mandate'

I'm not stating nor seek to state that a 7/7 person is better then any other score, of course it depends on the heart and intentions of said individuals. However with this stated its a crime against love its very self not to try and help our fellow Catholics improve their lives in all matters. When we grow up and accept this cross we'll truelly grow in holiness as well, after all a Saint affects those around them by shining the love of God on others, not putting this light under a bushel.
Nov 14 new
sorry, not on topic but my heart is for the disenfranchised and nobody can hear anything until they are fed and housed.
Nov 16 new
Thank you, Jose, for posting this!
To allow a sinner to go on in his or her sin is akin to a doctor allowing a person's gangrene to keep spreading without giving the patient treatment options. In light of this analogy, there is no real compassion involved in allowing a person to keep sinning, for eventually the "gangrene" will destroy the body.
Nov 16 new
(quote) Susan-857876 said: sorry, not on topic but my heart is for the disenfranchised and nobody can hear anything until they are fed and housed.
What does it matter if a man has gained the whole world but has lost his soul?

Forgive my impromptu recalling of that bible passage, but it's one which rings eternally true. The truly disenfranchised are those who lack a person who loves them enough not just to feed them but to truly love them. What is love? Christ is love. What is love based on? Truth, how can a lie be loving when it contradicts truth? Recall that Christ is the logos, the very truth of the universe as much as he is love and so anything that seeks to either deviate from truth or silently/passively accept error is also acting against true love.
Nov 21 new
The truth also knows that you cannot split being dogmatic and being pastoral. As far as we know, Jesus preached first before he healed. Otherwise, people, being the sneaky critters that they are, would have gone home as soon as they got what they wanted, without waiting for the homily. (That's probably why we have communion after the homily. And why some folks leave straight after communion.) But they wouldn't have come to listen either if they weren't going to be healed.

Both Susan and you are correct. If Christians are not known to care about what it truthfully means and feels to be 'disenfranchised', they will have no cred for talking about more surpassing truths.
Nov 22 new
"Those who do not know must be taught, not punished. We do not hit the blind. We lead them by the hand." St Dionysius
Nov 30 new
by circumstances, I find myself surrounded by the mentally challenged
and the most ignored/passed over. [they have the same appetite for faith as everyone else]
Posts 1 - 7 of 7