Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

Hello Everyone, just thought I put this topic out there for all to share in on. What person, or events led you to become the person you are today? For me its was my parents and for the work they put in steering me on the safe path of living. I give them credit and respect, and have become the person I am today because of them, in addition to the experiences along the way. Both have given me good insight into seeing what is good and what is bad in this world. Anyways, would like to get your opinions on this, thanks for reading.
Nov 16th 2013 new
William, great post. Like you I would start with my parents, who have given me such a great example of a loving relationship and love for their children. There are many people who helped form me to the person I am today. I would especially like to remember Fr. Sy Loehrlein, who was one of the best examples I ever had of humble service to God.
Nov 19th 2013 new
The one thing that led me where I am today was...when the French teacher decided that the French conversation topic would be "what I'm going to do after I finish high school". I had no idea, beyond attending junior college (my father's decision).

My teacher got in touch with my mother and demanded that they send me to university. Mom talked dad into it, I went, met the man I eventually married, joined Army ROTC, got stationed in Germany and other places, etc., etc..

Thank you, Mrs. West! wave
Nov 19th 2013 new
hmmmmmmmmmmm........ Lots of things but God has ALWAYS been nearby.................probably raising special needs kids more than anything else.............the isolation, the ignorant treatment by neighbours due to violence caused by autism............the clinging to true friends who knew what we had going on because they had special kids too.............the patience required to endlessly seek help for our needs..............the being asked to leave from theatres, gatherings, even church...................the excellent familiarity with all community services mainly police and emergency personnel until 15 years ago the child services were ok...........while I had teens not so good [cut backs]

so with 3 adults..........all tax payers,
I'm semi retired and take 4 hours/week of theology classes.

Nov 19th 2013 new
I'm in a philosophical mood so I'm going to take a different tack.

The things that made me who I am today are the really colossal screw-ups and failures, both mine and those of other people, that affected me. Those myriad 'rug pulled out from under me' experiences required me to step up and be more, be stronger and be better than I had ever thought possible. My parents' passing, various family tragedies and my divorce all served as crucibles for burning away the nonessential parts of me. They also required my total surrender to God if I were to survive.

I emerged with a stronger faith and a stronger sense of self. God knows what He's doing. Occasionally, I wish He'd let me in on it, but I hope and I trust.
Nov 19th 2013 new
Praying probably, I would rest in God's mercy also, as the bad times had a beginning and an end.

He has a wonderful sense of humour when things are challenging...........almost daily,
I get signs like a 'great parking spot' or 'the nicest veggies' or such like so I count my blessings theheart
Nov 19th 2013 new
(quote) Sam-427739 said: I'm in a philosophical mood so I'm going to take a different tack.

The things that made me who I am today are the really colossal screw-ups and failures, both mine and those of other people, that affected me. Those myriad 'rug pulled out from under me' experiences required me to step up and be more, be stronger and be better than I had ever thought possible. My parents' passing, various family tragedies and my divorce all served as crucibles for burning away the nonessential parts of me. They also required my total surrender to God if I were to survive.

I emerged with a stronger faith and a stronger sense of self. God knows what He's doing. Occasionally, I wish He'd let me in on it, but I hope and I trust.
I have only lost my father at this point, but I have to say ditto! Life made me who I am. We adapt and survive. Then we reconnect to our Blessed Lord and He provides the strength! He is said to look after fools and drunks and I have been both. Granted the drinking was a HS/ early college issue, but still I know I'm alive because He wanted me to be alive.
Nov 19th 2013 new
Having a bout of serious depression when I was 22 actually did wonders for my attitude. The petty, little things that seemed so big back then are the things I can't be bothered with today. Of course, I would not wish the same experience on anyone nor would I like to use it as a tool for personal growth again!
Posts 1 - 8 of 8