Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

error: Post not found!

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

SSPX a cult?

Nov 10th 2013 new
I heard this SSPX is some sort of cult, does anyone have information on this? surprised

I would HATE to get involved with something that goes against the Chruch's teachings or our beautiful new Pope Francis. Please help!
LOCKED
Nov 10th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-860764 said: I heard this SSPX is some sort of cult, does anyone have information on this?

I would HATE to get involved with something that goes against the Chruch's teachings or our beautiful new Pope Francis. Please help!
Ask Bernard.
LOCKED
Nov 10th 2013 new
I don't think it is and I think you should find out all the information you can, both pro and con so you can make up your mind. I quit judging people and their faith and quit condeming people for their beliefs who am I to judge. I used to judge people and their beliefs, but now I don't. I am always interested in peoples beliefs and why, you can learn a lot that way. Just my thoughts.
LOCKED
Nov 10th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-24315 said: I don't think it is and I think you should find out all the information you can, both pro and con so you can make up your mind. I quit judging people and their faith and quit condeming people for their beliefs who am I to judge. I used to judge people and their beliefs, but now I don't. I am always interested in peoples beliefs and why, you can learn a lot that way. Just my thoughts.
I don't like to judge either. That is why I am asking in here becuase there are so many smart people who seem to know about all this stuff. I just want to be sure I am always on the "right" side of Our Lord. So if you can direct me to some information of the pros and cons I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you.
LOCKED
Nov 10th 2013 new
(quote) Joan-529855 said: Ask Bernard.
Which Bernard? I will ask will he give me truthful answers?
LOCKED
Nov 11th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-860764 said: I heard this SSPX is some sort of cult, does anyone have information on this?

I would HATE to get involved with something that goes against the Chruch's teachings or our beautiful new Pope Francis. Please help!
Using the word "cult" applied to any religious movement is a problematic thing.

Today the word has mostly negative connotations. But the Church itself often uses the word in very positive ways. For example, the Sacred vessels used in the celebration of the Mass are correctly referred to a Objects of cult.

Whoever used it in describing the SSPX obviously meant it to be derogatory. In the negative sense like that, I would think that the SSPX is not a cult.

It is, however, a movement with absolutely no canonical standing in the Church. Although it has not been formally pronounced as being in schism by the Church, it is, as the term is used in the language of diplomacy, a de facto schismatic organization. That is, that although they recognize the duly elected Pope as the Head of the Church, they do so only on their own terms, dissenting in some essential ways from the teachings and discipline of the Church.

The Vatican continues to negotiate with them to bring them into full Communion. But they appear to be pulling further and further away. Some parts of them, the FSSP, have actually returned. Other parts of it have split off and fallen into virtually heresy, the sede vacantis people.

In my opinion, Rome is wasting its time and should formally pronounce them in schism and wash their hands of them.


LOCKED
Nov 16th 2013 new
While I do not attend their Masses, I do not think it is a waste of time to work with them, as it is the Lord's desire that "all should be one", and that he will never stop until the erring have returned.

They have a lot of things in their favor, including their love of the Sacred Liturgy, whereby our Lord is made present to us once more, in the Sacred Host.

I used to think that once Pope Benedict XVI retired, the Church should be done with them. However, if we decide that we will not deal with them anymore, we should also be fair to the Protestants as well and declair the ecumenical movement a failure, for they are not all that similar to us in terms of dogma. At least the SSPX has valid priests and a Eucharist.
LOCKED
Nov 16th 2013 new
(quote) Paul-1022284 said: While I do not attend their Masses, I do not think it is a waste of time to work with them, as it is the Lord's desire that "all should be one", and that he will never stop until the erring have returned.

They have a lot of things in their favor, including their love of the Sacred Liturgy, whereby our Lord is made present to us once more, in the Sacred Host.

I used to think that once Pope Benedict XVI retired, the Church should be done with them. However, if we decide that we will not deal with them anymore, we should also be fair to the Protestants as well and declair the ecumenical movement a failure, for they are not all that similar to us in terms of dogma. At least the SSPX has valid priests and a Eucharist.
When I said that the Church should be done with them, I meant that the Church should tell them this is what you must do to be fully in Communion. No negotiation.

It did that with Luther, Calvin, King Henry VIII. It was they who separated themselves. The same with the SSPX.

As far as the ecumenical movement is concerned, the Church always has that line drawn in the sand. In effect, it says, we can talk but you must accept the dogmas and subject yourself to the disciplines and to Rome. We can adapt to non-essentials but never to the essentials.
LOCKED
Nov 22nd 2013 new
I do not believe they are in schism, especially after listening to this:

youtu.be

They most definitely are not a cult, nor are they teaching anti-catholic doctrine. I do think, that there is a lot of mis-information being spread around about them though. And that is unfortunate.
LOCKED
Nov 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Tom-956451 said: I do not believe they are in schism, especially after listening to this:

http://youtu.be/ze9yhQ88DdY

They most definitely are not a cult, nor are they teaching anti-catholic doctrine. I do think, that there is a lot of mis-information being spread around about them though. And that is unfortunate.
While it is true that they me seem to be more in-line with Catholicism than other Catholics, the fact is that they are not recognized by the Church; this is all any of us need to know about them.
LOCKED
Posts 1 - 10 of 200