Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

VATICAN CITY

(AP) -- Russian President Vladimir Putin showed off his religious side

during a visit Monday to the Vatican, stopping to cross himself and kiss

an icon of the Madonna that he gave to Pope Francis. But Moscow's

improving relations with the Vatican went only so far: Putin didn't

invite Francis to visit.

The Vatican said

Monday that ecumenical relations between the Catholic and Orthodox

churches weren't really discussed during the 35-minute discussion

between Putin and Francis in the pope's private library, though Putin

brought greetings from Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill.

Rather,

the discussions between Putin and the pope, and then Putin and the

Vatican's top diplomats, focused on Syria and the role of Christianity

in society.

more at . . .
hosted.ap.org

_____________

Putin may be engaged in a dangerous ploy here, but the symbolism of the act is helpful.
Nov 25th 2013 new
(quote) Jack-752986 said:

VATICAN CITY

(AP) -- Russian President Vladimir Putin showed off his religious side

during a visit Monday to the Vatican, stopping to cross himself and kiss

an icon of the Madonna that he gave to Pope Francis. But Moscow's

improving relations with the Vatican went only so far: Putin didn't

invite Francis to visit.

The Vatican said

Monday that ecumenical relations between the Catholic and Orthodox

churches weren't really discussed during the 35-minute discussion

between Putin and Francis in the pope's private library, though Putin

brought greetings from Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill.

Rather,

the discussions between Putin and the pope, and then Putin and the

Vatican's top diplomats, focused on Syria and the role of Christianity

in society.

more at . . .
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_VATICAN_RUSSIA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

_____________

Putin may be engaged in a dangerous ploy here, but the symbolism of the act is helpful.
Hi Jack, Putin has an interesting history of religious gestures : www.youtube.com , www.chabadinfo.com
Nov 25th 2013 new
(quote) Bernie-645443 said: Hi Jack, Putin has an interesting history of religious gestures : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJnIsbo5uMs , http://www.chabadinfo.com/?url=article_en&id=27576
And let's not forget Our Lady's promise at Fatima regarding the conversion of Russia...

They may very well be the ones who save us from ourselves.
Nov 25th 2013 new
I recently watched Prime Time on EWTN and a guest (I am sorry I can not recall her name) was talking to Father Apostili about her recent trip to Russia. She said that many Catholic churches are active with many devout parishioners. At one church where their tour guide was showing them the church after Mass a Russian man asked if they (the tour group) were from the United States and when he was told yes he dropped to his knees and said "thank you for your rosaries for us". The Universal Living Rosary Association also has much information on their website about the present conditions in Russia. It is interesting that Arch Bishop Sheen in his lifetime said "We have Christ but not the Cross" and Russia has the Cross but not Christ and that maybe in the future that is what would happen-it is - we are not living the faith as we should here and are losing it and Russia is gaining it back due to their devoutness. May the Immaculate Heart of Mary triumph over Russia and President Putin's heart. Then we need to pray that she helps our President Obama and our country.
Nov 26th 2013 new
I tend to be hesitant to believe, after watching the morning news, but this does give some glimmer of promise Praying rosary
Nov 26th 2013 new
One of the leaders of the super powers can express some faith. Not like the other guy that slept thru 20 years with the Rev Wright.
Nov 26th 2013 new
good point, John
Nov 26th 2013 new
(quote) Kristin-926543 said: I recently watched Prime Time on EWTN and a guest (I am sorry I can not recall her name) was talking to Father Apostili about her recent trip to Russia. She said that many Catholic churches are active with many devout parishioners. At one church where their tour guide was showing them the church after Mass a Russian man asked if they (the tour group) were from the United States and when he was told yes he dropped to his knees and said "thank you for your rosaries for us". The Universal Living Rosary Association also has much information on their website about the present conditions in Russia. It is interesting that Arch Bishop Sheen in his lifetime said "We have Christ but not the Cross" and Russia has the Cross but not Christ and that maybe in the future that is what would happen-it is - we are not living the faith as we should here and are losing it and Russia is gaining it back due to their devoutness. May the Immaculate Heart of Mary triumph over Russia and President Putin's heart. Then we need to pray that she helps our President Obama and our country.
Thanks, Kristin, good post.
Nov 26th 2013 new
(quote) John-559440 said: One of the leaders of the super powers can express some faith. Not like the other guy that slept thru 20 years with the Rev Wright.
Putin may, as some have suggested,be just putting on an act. You still have to give him credit for at least knowing what kind of acts will gain the most positive and lasting impression.

Meanwhile, here in the US, our idiot-in-chief continues going about finding ways to antagonize the fairly large Catholic population of his country,a majority of whom put him into office twice in a row.

While Putin curries favor with his Catholic and Orthodox constituents, Obummer says it is time to close diplomatic relations with the Vatican/City/State.
Nov 26th 2013 new
I'm leaning towards the effect on the public watching all this
Posts 1 - 10 of 36