Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

This question constantly pops up on interviews and is my least favorite question because none of the answers make any sense and I actually wish there was a fill-in-the-blank option or "none of the above" option on some of them. So, I recently came up with a list of some possible answers for this question and I was wondering what you all think, okay? Here goes:

"What is your idea of adventure?"

1) Wearing a San Francisco Giants jersey at Dodger Stadium.
2) Trying to sit through "2001: A Space Odyssey" without falling into a deep coma.
3) Listening to Ozzy Osbourne narrate his autobiography on CD without a translation. BTW when did we start having subtitles in this country in English for people who speak English?
4) Walking into a bad crime area and announcing "Hey! Who wants to play 'The Knockout Game' now? I'm gonna knock you out! Mama said knock you out!" Yeah, probably not a good idea.
5) Swimming in shark-infested waters in Thailand.
6) Trying to log into the Obamacare website without receiving a "404 error".
7) Karaoke singing to REM's "It's The End Of The World As We Know It" and whipping the crowd into a frenzy when they sing the one line that they know "Leonard Bernstein!"
8) Wearing a Boston Red Sox jersey at Yankee Stadium.
9) Ice skating with no protection for my body in case I fall. Seriously, I'm clumsy enough as it is. Must we had freezing water?
10) Having a copy of the "Steel Magnolias" DVD be visible in your Man Cave.

Okay, I'm done for now. What do you say? :)
Nov 26th 2013 new
What is considered to be adventurous or qualify as an adventure can vary wildly from person to person. I had a little adventure on vacation this year, hiking around South Manitou Island (part of the Sleeping Bear Dunes). During the 10+ mile excursion I spoke with two divers looking for a shipwreck, saw a dead cormorant, got a hilarious sunburn (it's best to not forget sunblock, especially when wearing a knee brace), tripped over a small boulder that was clearly out in the open, saw oodles of millipedes, got attacked by a swarm of flies for a couple of miles, and saw that my decision a few years ago to NOT climb down the perched dunes was a good one. Some people may think that what I did was quite dull, others may think I was a bit crazy, but I actually had loads of fun.

Other adventures:

1. Climbing up and down sand dunes.
2. Walking around Paris by myself when I was 19.
3. Traveling to England by myself when I was 23 to meet a strange man. :-)
4. Having a general idea of where to go on vacation and changing plans on a whim. (One time a blue jay was my sign that I should go to Ontario rather than stay in Michigan. Had I saw a robin I would have stayed!)
5. Hiking a new, long trail and discovering something exciting.
6. Eating the most disgusting sounding thing from a menu or trying on a dress that looks unflattering while on a hanger. In most instances I am pleasantly surprised.

For me, the best thing to do is go with my gut, be open to new experiences, and ALWAYS try to find the humor in any situation!

Nov 26th 2013 new
I always want to take my children along but this will be different

1. traveling in a historic place and exploring all there is to see

2. learning a sport with lessons during a sunny vacation

3. going to an isolated cabin alone with a pile of books

4. hiking with friends on a beautiful meadow

5. doing crafts with friends to decorate a worship venue

6. moving to a third world location again
Nov 26th 2013 new
I particularly like your #8 of Wearing a Red Sox jersey in Yankee Stadium, but adventures can be small as well as larger... I think that settling down and raising a family and a garden on a plot of land would be a wonderful adventure, but I also think that my idea of adventure encompasses things like Walking the Way of St. James and going on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land... right now my current adventure is driving in holiday traffic and attempting not to get run over while delivering packages for Fedex boggled A feat that is not accomplished without Praying
Nov 26th 2013 new
(quote) Jeff-406043 said: This question constantly pops up on interviews and is my least favorite question because none of the answers make any sense and I actually wish there was a fill-in-the-blank option or "none of the above" option on some of them. So, I recently came up with a list of some possible answers for this question and I was wondering what you all think, okay? Here goes:

"What is your idea of adventure?"

1) Wearing a San Francisco Giants jersey at Dodger Stadium.
2) Trying to sit through "2001: A Space Odyssey" without falling into a deep coma.
3) Listening to Ozzy Osbourne narrate his autobiography on CD without a translation. BTW when did we start having subtitles in this country in English for people who speak English?
4) Walking into a bad crime area and announcing "Hey! Who wants to play 'The Knockout Game' now? I'm gonna knock you out! Mama said knock you out!" Yeah, probably not a good idea.
5) Swimming in shark-infested waters in Thailand.
6) Trying to log into the Obamacare website without receiving a "404 error".
7) Karaoke singing to REM's "It's The End Of The World As We Know It" and whipping the crowd into a frenzy when they sing the one line that they know "Leonard Bernstein!"
8) Wearing a Boston Red Sox jersey at Yankee Stadium.
9) Ice skating with no protection for my body in case I fall. Seriously, I'm clumsy enough as it is. Must we had freezing water?
10) Having a copy of the "Steel Magnolias" DVD be visible in your Man Cave.

Okay, I'm done for now. What do you say? :)
laughing Glad I followed this link over to St. Pete's!

Maybe breaking social norms like standing backwards in an elevator full of people or singing out loud the words to a store's Musak track. Giving your best wave to every oncoming car so they wonder who you are (this works in the country - maybe wouldn't try this in a big city - little too much adventure eyepopping).

Starting a one person flash mob. And having the confidence to carry it through to the end. biggrin

Training your dog how to jump up and take hats off of people's heads. And then letting the dog loose among a convent of sisters. (FYI - I didn't make this up. This is a story my sister the Sister told me - fortunately they have a good sense of humor!) tongue
Nov 26th 2013 new
What about:

1. Meeting a new man at CM
2. Learning a fifth language ( not from touch, though)
3. Volunteering with World Health Organization in Uganda and Kenya
4 A profession such as a nurse - midwife ( CNM) or an obstetrition ( every day is an adventure)
5 Climbing Annapurna
6. Sleep under the stars
5. Deep thinking...........
Nov 26th 2013 new
(quote) Kristen-878108 said:
  Giving your best wave to every oncoming car so they wonder who you are (this works in the country - maybe wouldn't try this in a big city - little too much adventure ).

I get a lot of those looks when I meet a stranger on the road and give the friendly wave like you mentioned.
Nov 26th 2013 new
(quote) Kristen-878108 said: Maybe breaking social norms like standing backwards in an elevator full of people or singing out loud the words to a store's Musak track.
Ooo... I like those two! I would definitely need an audience of at least one person I know for the elevator, but I'd be fine singing on my own with the Muzak. That is unless it called for a duet...it would be pretty lame to try to take on "Islands in the Stream" by all by myself.
Nov 29th 2013 new
Stealing Mike Tysons tiger.
Driving a snowmobile as fast as I can over an open patch of water in the middle of Gull Lake.
Setting a bear trap off with my nose and living to tell about it.
I would list more but I doubt I would survive the first three.
Nov 29th 2013 new
I enjoyed your list, Jeff. thumbsup thumbsup

I might recommend a helmet for #9, it's a Canadian thing. Also, possibly a helmet for #4, although good running shoes might help more than the helmet in that scenario.
Posts 1 - 10 of 32