Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

By MICHAEL WARREN
Associated Press

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) -- Ultra-traditionalist Roman Catholics have openly challenged Pope Francis by disrupting one of his favorite events, an interfaith ceremony in the Metropolitan Cathedral meant to promote religious harmony on the anniversary of the beginning of the Holocaust.

The annual gathering of Catholics, Jews and Protestants marks Kristallnacht, the Nazi-led mob violence in 1938 when about 1,000 Jewish synagogues were burned and thousands of Jews were forced into concentration camps, launching the genocide that killed 6 million Jews. Before he assumed the papacy, Buenos Aires Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio and his good friend Rabbi Abraham Skorka led the ceremony every year.

A small group disrupted Tuesday night's ceremony by shouting the rosary and the "Our Father" prayer, and spreading pamphlets saying that "followers of false gods must be kept out of the sacred temple."

**snip**

"The cathedral was full, with people standing, prepared for a profound act of introspection, when a group of about 40 people began to recite from the Christian liturgy, the `Our Father,' and began to hand out little pieces of paper saying that Jews were blaspheming the place," Skorka said.

Skorka said protesters made cutting comments like "the Jews killed Jesus." He said one Jew confronted them, saying, "My grandmother died in Auschwitz," to which an activist replied, "Do you believe that lie?"

The Rev. Christian Bouchacourt, the South America leader of the Society of Saint Pius X, said Wednesday that the protesters belong to his organization and that they have a right to feel outraged when rabbis preside over a ceremony in a cathedral.

"I recognize the authority of the pope, but he is not infallible and in this case does things we cannot accept," Bouchacourt said in an interview with Radio La Red.

More at:
hosted.ap.org
Nov 26 new
If those in the Society of Saint Pius X have not been excommunicated, they sure need to be. They are an embarrassment to our Catholic faith and all of humanity.
Nov 26 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: If those in the Society of Saint Pius X have not been excommunicated, they sure need to be. They are an embarrassment to our Catholic faith and all of humanity.
Alas, last time I checked being an embarrassment was not grounds for excommunication.

Nov 27 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Alas, last time I checked being an embarrassment was not grounds for excommunication.

How true, Jerry.

If it were grounds for excommunication, I fear an awful lot of us would fall under the penalty of excommunication.

Anytime we act, which we cannot help doing being imperfect human beings, in a less than Christian way in our family, in our church or the world at large, we are an embarrassment to the Church.
Nov 27 new
This type of ignorance and hatred completely baffles me. It shouldn't -- I teach and encounter similar things in my students at times. But, ignorance such as this has to be an incredibly emotion filled choice because it has absolutely no rationality and must be exhausting to uphold against all of the credible, legitimate and factual evidence against their belief. That it is used to manufacture unfounded outrage and fuel cruelty and hate is shameful as well as sinful. I guess this group is our version of the Westboro Baptist Church.
Nov 27 new
The Rev. Christian Bouchacourt, the South America leader of the Society of Saint Pius X, said Wednesday that the protesters belong to his organization and that they have a right to feel outraged when rabbis preside over a ceremony in a cathedral.

Is it right that other faith leaders preside in a Catholic Cathedral?
Nov 27 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: The Rev. Christian Bouchacourt, the South America leader of the Society of Saint Pius X, said Wednesday that the protesters belong to his organization and that they have a right to feel outraged when rabbis preside over a ceremony in a cathedral.

What does he mean by 'preside'?

and spreading pamphlets saying that "followers of false gods must be kept out of the sacred temple."

Are Jews and Protestants followers of a false god? For that matter, are Muslims, accepted by the Church to be children of Abraham, followers of a false god?

Are Catholics, to all outward appearances in good standing with the Church, but destined to be told by Jesus that he never knew them, anonymous followers of a false god?

Nov 27 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: The Rev. Christian Bouchacourt, the South America leader of the Society of Saint Pius X, said Wednesday that the protesters belong to his organization and that they have a right to feel outraged when rabbis preside over a ceremony in a cathedral.

The Rabbi was not presiding. The local Bishop was. The rabbi was only reciting a prayer, which I presume thr representative from each faith tradition there also did.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Why is it that in all these instances there are those who ALWAYS assume the worst, especially when tey are entirely clueless as to what actually was going on.

Since the SSPX caused the disruption, it is safe to assume they were wrong. Why defend their actions?
Nov 28 new
It would be wrong to assume everything they do is invalid, since they carry-out valid Masses every week!
Nov 28 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: It would be wrong to assume everything they do is invalid, since they carry-out valid Masses every week!
Do they really?

Every Mass they say is an abuse of the Mass. Unless the SSPX priest or bishop had been licitly ordained by a Bishop in communion with Rome, their ordination was illicit although probably valid. And unless they have specifically and individually been given the proper faculties by their local Bishop in proper Communion with Rome, they have no right to celebrate the Eucharist. So, although the Mass might be valid, it too is illicit and, therefore, by definition, an abuse as bad as any abuse of the Novus they complain about.

Any abuse of the Mass, of any form, by anyone is a serious sin.

With no proper faculties from the Bishop of their diocese in proper communion with Rome (None of the SSPX Bishops have proper authority and are not in Communion with Rome) their administration of Sacraments like Confession and Matrimony are probably invalid as well as illicit, and a serious abuse.

So, as things now stand, your defense of their actions is misplaced. Instead of trying to defend their illicit actions, their continue disobediance and their virtual schismatic situation, as an apparent supporter, you should be working to bring them back into Communion wih the Church.
Posts 1 - 10 of 98