Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Lately, I've noticed more than half of the site's members--male and female--have graduate degrees, MBAs and doctorates. I have a mere bachelors degree and that seems barely good enough.

Is that a trend?
Nov 29th 2013 new
I don't have a degree, but I've worked hard all my life. I think there is more importance placed on having a degree today in order to succeed or stand out in today's marketplace. I certainly expect my children to go to college as I want them to have any advantage attainable. More than a trend, it seems a matter of economics.
Nov 29th 2013 new
Josh, I never went to college after High School. I chose to follow in my fathers footsteps and be a farmer after school. Not a smart thing to do in the 80's when the farm economy was in the pits. Looking back I wish I would of attended some post secondary type of schooling. But does this make me dumb? If I was to put together a resume it would say I have served on the Board of directors of a company that has annual sales of over 500 million dollars for the past 15 years. I am treasure for a non profit organization that has over 1800 members and I serve on a rural fire board that is in charge of setting the budget for buying equipment and supplies for the volunteer fire and rescue teams.
I attend several workshops every winter and I remember one of the speakers once made a comment on levels of educated people. From the dirty work to the brains behind NASA, we have all types of jobs to be filled regardless of what level of education you may have.
Nov 29th 2013 new
I have never seen a demographic breakdown of CM members. Naturally, there are folks of all kinds here, but I think that you will find that we tend to be:
- better educated
- non-television watchers
- political conservatives

two cents

Nov 29th 2013 new
(quote) Kevin-696435 said: Josh, I never went to college after High School. I chose to follow in my fathers footsteps and be a farmer after school. Not a smart thing to do in the 80's when the farm economy was in the pits. Looking back I wish I would of attended some post secondary type of schooling. But does this make me dumb? If I was to put together a resume it would say I have served on the Board of directors of a company that has annual sales of over 500 million dollars for the past 15 years. I am treasure for a non profit organization that has over 1800 members and I serve on a rural fire board that is in charge of setting the budget for buying equipment and supplies for the volunteer fire and rescue teams.
I attend several workshops every winter and I remember one of the speakers once made a comment on levels of educated people. From the dirty work to the brains behind NASA, we have all types of jobs to be filled regardless of what level of education you may have.
Folks often get confused between intelligence, adaptability and creativity and this broad category called education. They are not the same and often they don't even go together. (And this is coming from a teacher! I certainly value education.) I know lots of people with masters, JD's and doctorates that I wouldn't trust to pack a sack lunch.
Nov 30th 2013 new
thank you for all your responses. I am asking b/c I just have a BS in journalism and am looking to see whether or not getting an MA will make me more marketable. (I am considering an MA in public relations, because journalism is a dying field in small town America where I live).

Having an MA should improve my standing in society...I think.
Nov 30th 2013 new
I may get boo'ed out of the park, but in my field, the folks with all those
extra letters after their name got there by staying at work instead
of raising their kids [nothing to do with intelligence]
Nov 30th 2013 new
You'll never get boo'd out of the park! CM people respect opinions of others even when they differ from their own. The strong points of view from all people makes this Forum a stimulating, interesting, sometimes funny and at times challenging read. You are one of my favorite contributors. We have quality contributors.
Nov 30th 2013 new
Actually, when I see MBA on a person's profile, it can be a bit intimidating. A bachelor's or a master's is what I am comfortable with, but it is really up to God. So, if he wants to give me someone who makes a decent amount of money without a college education or someone with three masters, I choose to go with His plan.
Nov 30th 2013 new
(quote) Susan-857876 said: I may get boo'ed out of the park, but in my field, the folks with all those
extra letters after their name got there by staying at work instead
of raising their kids [nothing to do with intelligence]
Oh, c'mon???

I was 50 years old when I earned my MA. My children were grown and out of the house. After my divorce I landed a job as a Resource Room Teacher in Special Ed. I was not licensed to teach Special Ed so I went back to grad school again and earned an endorsement in LD while teaching full time.

So please don't minimize how much hard work and commitment it takes to get "those extra letters after their name"
Posts 1 - 10 of 43