Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Ban Black Friday!

Nov 29 new

Americans are flocking to the shops for Black Friday, the bonanza US sales day held the day after Thanksgiving.

But its massive popularity - the term Black Friday has been used more than 2 million times on Twitter in the past 24 hours - has a dark side. The vast volume of shoppers has led to chaotic scenes and outbreaks of violence. Stampedes and shootings have plagued the day, resulting in four deaths and 56 injuries in the past five years.

There has been an online backlash against the day's rampant consumerism, to the extent of groups campaigning for a "Buy Nothing Day" to allow shop workers to spend more time with their families.

www.bbc.co.uk

Should Black Friday be banned?

Nov 29 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said:

Americans are flocking to the shops for Black Friday, the bonanza US sales day held the day after Thanksgiving.

But its massive popularity - the term Black Friday has been used more than 2 million times on Twitter in the past 24 hours - has a dark side. The vast volume of shoppers has led to chaotic scenes and outbreaks of violence. Stampedes and shootings have plagued the day, resulting in four deaths and 56 injuries in the past five years.

There has been an online backlash against the day's rampant consumerism, to the extent of groups campaigning for a "Buy Nothing Day" to allow shop workers to spend more time with their families.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-25153350

Should Black Friday be banned?

Banned? No. However, I would encourage a mass boycott.

Nov 29 new
Europeans have the running of the bulls, a tomato throwing festival, and chase a wheel of cheese over a cliff. The Japanese ride logs down steep hills. It's our version of controlled chaos over here in the colonies!
Nov 29 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: It's our version of controlled chaos over here in the colonies!
Controlled? Where?

Nov 29 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Controlled? Where?

Wh need a WYTBW* emoticon. If any of the artistically creative members want to take a stab at it, I'll create a special section on the emoticon web page for emoticons we wish we had. laughing

(* What You Talkin Bout, Willis)?

Nov 29 new
But what if lentils were extra cheap that day?
Nov 29 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Controlled? Where?

Well, here in my home, we "control" it by not participating. wink

I stopped going years (decades?) ago after it took over an hour just to find a parking space. Although I did consider trying the Thursday Midnight extension a few years back. But it was just more of the same, so I turned around and went home,
Nov 29 new
Well, at least until Walmart opens their doors! laughing
Nov 29 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Wh need a WYTBW* emoticon. If any of the artistically creative members want to take a stab at it, I'll create a special section on the emoticon web page for emoticons we wish we had.

(* What You Talkin Bout, Willis)?

Here ya go:
s1317.photobucket.com

24 x 26 pixels @ 8 bits per pixel
Gary Coleman (RIP) as Arnold Jackson of Diff'rent Strokes
Nov 29 new
Give it up to "Menards" though for being closed on Thanksgiving. biggrin

Posts 1 - 10 of 54