Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Any Eastern Catholics here?

Nov 30th 2013 new
I am a Latin Catholic myself, but have been attending a local Byzantine Catholic mission (meets the first and third, and when applicable the fifth Sundays of the month and for Divine Liturgy and Vespers on other important days) for the past one and a half years now. I would love to take my children, if any, to a Byzantine church when they are older, and if I marry a Byzantine, also raise them in it.

(Some of our fellow Catholics, including my own family do not appear to be aware of these ancient churches which follow Eastern traditions but are in full communion with the Successor of St. Peter in Rome [yes, I am also quite aware that St. Peter went to Antioch] and which are loyal to his teaching authority. They think that the Eastern Orthodox are the only Eastern Christians out there. My hope is to at least expose my children to Eastern Catholicism, if not outright raise them in it.)

I have also been attending a Maronite Catholic parish for the past three years as well.

Just a simple poll: are there any other Eastern Catholics here?

(Kindly do not turn this into a Latin vs. Eastern thread, or it may be locked up.)
Nov 30th 2013 new
Yes I joined the Eastern Rite 20 years ago,but do not attend.They now hold the position that the Holy Spirit only proceeds from the Father (like the Orthodox).Clearly against defined Dogma.That is why I no longer attend.They have a beautiful Litury and Traditions,but they hold heresy.They claim ROme backs their belief.
Nov 30th 2013 new
From what I have been reading, the Ukrainian Greek Catholics do not appear to have the excesses of the other Byzantines and appear to be staunchly loyal to the Holy Father.

How long did you attend Eastern churches?
Nov 30th 2013 new
(quote) Paul-1022284 said: From what I have been reading, the Ukrainian Greek Catholics do not appear to have the excesses of the other Byzantines and appear to be staunchly loyal to the Holy Father.

As I recall,I did phone the Ukrainians as well as others in the Eastern RItes here in Los Angeles area to confrim what they believe.The Ukrainians are no different.The Romanians at least have it correctly in their Missal,but if you ask them (Priests) they will tell you ,that you can belive in the Filioque,or not believe in it.I attended many years off and on.Was married in the Byzantine,and received my declaration of Nullity from them,since I am A Byzantine Catholic .I wish I could take it back now!.Be forewarned
Nov 30th 2013 new
Take it back,I mean,I would have never officially changed Rites.I had such high hopesfor the Eastern Catholic RItes.
Nov 30th 2013 new
One Sunday,years after I changed RItes,the Priest announce the change of dropping the Filioque.The original Nicene Creed was written without the Filioque,but was added later.It is a dogma that you have to believe it.Rome gave the Eastern Catholics permission to change the Creed to the Original,but they must believe in the Filioque.They do not however,and they lead the laity astray.The biggest kept secret of heresy in the modern Church! wide eyed faint
Nov 30th 2013 new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said: Yes I joined the Eastern Rite 20 years ago,but do not attend.They now hold the position that the Holy Spirit only proceeds from the Father (like the Orthodox).Clearly against defined Dogma.That is why I no longer attend.They have a beautiful Litury and Traditions,but they hold heresy.They claim ROme backs their belief.
The actual line in the Creed is that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father in the East, and the Father and the Son in the West. In actuality you can say the Eastern line without error, since in fact the Spirit proceeds from the Father through the Son.

Easterners and Western Theologians do agree on that.

www.catholic.com

Nov 30th 2013 new

EUGENIUS IV 1431-1447

COUNCIL OF FLORENCE 1438-1445

Ecumenical XVII (Union with the Greeks, Armenians, Jacobites)

Decree for the Greeks *

[From the Bull "Laetentur coeli," July 6, 1439]

691 [The procession of the Holy Spirit] In the name of the Holy Trinity, of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, with the approbation of this holy general Council of Florence we define that this truth of faith be believed and accepted by all Christians, and that all likewise profess that the Holy Spirit is eternally from the Father and the Son and has His essence and His subsistent being both from the Father and the Son, and proceeds from both eternally as from one principle and one spiration; we declare that what the holy Doctors and Fathers say, namely, that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father through the Son, tends to this meaning, that by this it is signified that the Son also is the cause, according to the Greeks, and according to the Latins, the principle of the subsistence of the Holy Spirit, as is the Father also. And since all that the Father has, the Father himself, in begetting, has given to His only begotten Son, with the exception of Fatherhood, the very fact that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Son, the Son himself has from the Father eternally, by whom He was begotten also eternally. We define in addition that the explanation of words "Filioque" for the sake of declaring the truth and also because imminent necessity has been lawfully and reasonably added to the Creed.
Nov 30th 2013 new
(quote) Steven-706921 said: The actual line in the Creed is that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father in the East, and the Father and the Son in the West. In actuality you can say the Eastern line without error, since in fact the Spirit proceeds from the Father through the Son.

Easterners and Western Theologians do agree on that.

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/filioque

As long as they believe the correct way,no problem.It was explained to us at The Byzantine Church to mean the same as the Orthodox.
Dec 1st 2013 new
(quote) Paul-1022284 said: From what I have been reading, the Ukrainian Greek Catholics do not appear to have the excesses of the other Byzantines and appear to be staunchly loyal to the Holy Father.

Paul,if they check out okay,then go for the Ukrainian Rite.I do love thier Liturgy.Good luck to you . theheart
Posts 1 - 10 of 24