Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

"So faith, hope, charity remain, these three; but the greatest of these is charity."
+ 1 Corinthians 13:13

In another thread, someone mentioned the role of charity in shaping one's response to a situation presented in the OP. I believe God wills charity. I also believe most CMers would agree, but I wonder how CMers perceive charity and how CMers seek to activate charity in their lives.

So I ask...WHAT IS "CHARITY" TO YOU?

Thanks in advance; I look forward to reading your responses.

Abundant Advent blessings!
Dec 09 new
doing things for others at a cost to yourself.................
Dec 09 new

Dying to self and serving others. I'm working on it, but it's difficult.theheart

Dec 09 new
I try to help my kids learn charity by donating to our Good Shepherd Center -- both time and food/clothing/toys/etc, by preparing and serving meals to others, by selecting stars from our church's giving tree and purchasing gifts for others less fortunate. They love buying for babies, but this year by the time we made it to the tree to select stars, they were only people ages 64+ on the tree. One of my kids said, "We don't know anything about old people!" I laughed and ask them to look around -- there are people of all ages around! They had time to look and see people bundling up, enjoying chatting together, having trouble on the ice, looking lonely, having trouble walking or carrying things, etc. They opened their eyes to the needs of all ages and are looking forward to trying to figure out how to bless someone with their gifts. It's a start.
Dec 09 new
I know that's just one aspect of charity.
Dec 09 new
WHOA!! Look who's back in town!!!
clap wave
Dec 09 new
Doing things for others.
Even if there is NO cost to oneself. smile
Dec 09 new
Greetings

I believe we all know what Charity is and for the most of us we perform those monitary and social duties wonderfully.

With the advent of Christmas I would like to tell the story of a dear friend who had 5 children. Each Christmas and after the kids opened all their packages they were schooled with the charitable duty to take one of their presents and wrap it and take the to the family down the block who did not have the finances that my friend had.

The kids were trained that they could not select the least expensive gift but it must be one of quality value. Frank told me how very proud he was of his children and he shed many tears of joy when he saw their selected gift. BTW after we adopted a 14 year old from the Catholic Welfare , Frank also sought my help in adopting another child for his family.

Talk about love. Wow! Frank knew how to love. I have been blessed with his friendship for more than 40 years. He is in Heaven now and all I can say is Thanks for a beautiful lesson in Charity

God love

Philip

Dec 09 new
Charity....What comes to mind is a wonderful 90 old lady that was my mother's very best friend. This lady was very good to my mother when she was in her last year of life. Once Mom passed away I started visiting this wonderful, sharp, young minded, joyful 90 year old. I brought her suppers often, I brought her flowers, I brought her bags of books to read that I got from a local second hand book store. I sat and visited her and got as much out of the visits as I hope she did. In some small way I think I showed "charity." She has passed away I her miss her very much. Charity isn't only about giving money. Giving your time and attention to someone who could use a friend is "charity" to me.
Dec 09 new
(quote) Olivia-111035 said: "So faith, hope, charity remain, these three; but the greatest of these is charity."+ 1 Corinthians 13:13

In another thread, someone mentioned the role of charity in shaping one's response to a situation presented in the OP. I believe God wills charity. I also believe most CMers would agree, but I wonder how CMers perceive charity and how CMers seek to activate charity in their lives.

So I ask...WHAT IS "CHARITY" TO YOU?
Thanks in advance; I look forward to reading your responses.
Abundant Advent blessings!
Charity is another word for "Love". It is Faith, Hope and Love.

We naturally become charitable thru love.
So, what is love?
Posts 1 - 10 of 36