Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

All Boxed Up

Dec 10th 2013 new
Is anyone else seeing squares where other icons should be (like the gear & the star at the upper right, a little square to the left of Forum Nav or New Topic, etc)?
Dec 10th 2013 new
And now, all cleared up.
Dec 10th 2013 new
Probably a bad server in the server farm.
Dec 10th 2013 new
I restarted my computer, & all was well. Was just wondering whether others were experiencing the situation too.
Did you, Andrew?
Dec 10th 2013 new
That's all I ever seen since the format change
Dec 10th 2013 new
So you don't see a little v to the left of Forum Nav, you don't see a blue box with a + in a circle saying New Topic, you don't see a star with the number of Favorites online......?
Dec 10th 2013 new
have not noticed anything unusual at all here.. scratchchin
Dec 13th 2013 new
(quote) Lina-796057 said: Is anyone else seeing squares where other icons should be (like the gear & the star at the upper right, a little square to the left of Forum Nav or New Topic, etc)?
Lina,
I think you will find that when there is a VERY slow connection to CM (can happen for many many reasons - not necessarily due to your computer or CMs systems) as the page loads there are "place holder" icons that load prior to the actula final icons being displayed.
Normally a page will load so quickly that these types of place holder icons are never actually visible.

When I am using my phone as a hotspot for wi-fi to my laptop - I can experience the wierd boxes you mention appearing - where ever you would normally see a different icon.

The above is not necessarily the exact cause of the anomaly you experienced - but I have seen similar behavior to what you describe when I have a very slow connection on my computer.
Dec 13th 2013 new
Thanks, Dave! That's helpful to know. You provide a lot of good info here, whether computer-related or home-repair-related. biggrin
Dec 13th 2013 new
for a more technical explanation - the CM site relies on downloading and embedding a font to display many of the icons from the CSS style sheets. The letters load on your page prior to the font being completely downloaded to your browser - thus showing the odd characters you speak of. I am pretty sure that if you look at the icons in the images of the following link you will see the same types of squares you see here every once in a while as the page loads:

superuser.com

The reference is only to show the icons you have seen - the actual problem being described at the link has nothing to do why it shows that way here on CM - as mentioned earlier, it is simply a slow connection that can cause the odd behavior, and is only temporary.
Posts 1 - 10 of 10