Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

We'll start off really simple, on one side we have a leader who helped to bring about a somewhat peaceful end to a very oppressive system and on the other hand we have one who brought about very oppressive laws against a select group of people along with supporting the redefinition of marriage (this can't really happen but you get what I mean).

Who would of thought that these two were one in the same m? In light of his life what's your take on Nelson Mandela?
Dec 12 new
Nelson Mandela was a terrorist and a thug. It's comical to look at how he was lauded by our President, yet he was on the US terrorist watch list until 2008. He did nothing to bring peace to South Africa, but destroyed the economy and prosperity of it.
Dec 12 new
(quote) Jose-1011376 said: We'll start off really simple, on one side we have a leader who helped to bring about a somewhat peaceful end to a very oppressive system and on the other hand we have one who brought about very oppressive laws against a select group of people along with supporting the redefinition of marriage (this can't really happen but you get what I mean).

Who would of thought that these two were one in the same m? In light of his life what's your take on Nelson Mandela?
I think we should pray for his soul and leave the rest up to the Supreme Judge.

It's not out place to judge Nelson Mandela (or anyone else). Specific acts, yes, but not as a person.

Dec 12 new
Jerry not to make a direct comparison either way but would you say that Mother Teresa and Hitler are equals apart from actions?
Dec 12 new
I just thought it was funny how he was portrayed on Fox News this week. Like he was a hero of our times. Can't really speak to whether or not he was. Mostly because I don't remember it. And I was at an age when I should have.

Like they were showing this music video. And I'm like "I remember "We Are The World" but I sure don't remember this". I did got to bed and included him in my prayers.

But after reading what I've read here I don't know if I should have. scratchchin
Dec 12 new
Eric were to pray for all the dead, I'm just stating facts.
Dec 12 new
(quote) Jose-1011376 said: In light of his life what's your take on Nelson Mandela?
Jose, like most of us, he did good & bad things. The fact he almost single handedly brought an end to the evil regime of Apartheid, is an immense legacy. The fact he was aware of his short-comings and often referred to himself as a sinner speaks of his own humility. The fact he spent nearly 30 years in jail and left without any apparent malice; speaks of his forgiveness.

However, when peaceful means failed he turned to violence and again as President by instituting Abortion.

His overwhelming legacy will be his work to successfully dismantle a country savaged by racism & separatism.
I pray the country doesn't descend into chaos again and I'm fairly sure, on the balance, his achievements outweighed the negatives.
Dec 12 new
Mark I can take nothing away from what was a brilliant man, however it's hard for me to praise him. Now I'm not saying this is my personal condemnation of the man to hell however it's my understanding that all the reforms he rightfully fought for are meaningless if the people who were intended to enjoy them are simply not around to do so.
Dec 12 new
(quote) Jose-1011376 said: Mark I can take nothing away from what was a brilliant man, however it's hard for me to praise him. Now I'm not saying this is my personal condemnation of the man to hell however it's my understanding that all the reforms he rightfully fought for are meaningless if the people who were intended to enjoy them are simply not around to do so.
I take your point, however, outside the US, politics is more than just abortion. Sanctity of life issues would include, euthanasia, war, the economy, climate change and much more.

I don't support his pro-choice stance but name me a world leader who has banned abortion?
Dec 12 new
Mark first thing is first, Abortion is fundamentally more dangerous than any of the issues as it robs the person of the most fundamental right, life before all others.

* Mandela actually went ahead a replaced very restrictive abortion laws in his country to include extremely lax ones. But you want a leader, go look at Putin or in the Dominican Republic for example.

www.lifenews.com.

Bishop Tobin said it best.
Posts 1 - 10 of 60