Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Dry hands

Dec 15 new
Please send me suggestion of how to heal my extreamly dry hands. I have done loations, vit E ...... Nothing seems to help. I do wash my as hands many times a day as I work children. My joints on back of hands are cracking and hurt. My blood tests are good but I am just stummed as what to do. Maybe I just need some male hand to drentch the ever day and night...lol. Any suggestions or male volunteers welcome. ;-)
Dec 15 new
You might want to try a moisturizing hand sanitizer instead of washing too frequently. It will kill germs and hopefully leave some protection as well. When you do wash, say before lunch and before you leave work, use an extra moisturizing soap.

It might take awhile for your hands to heal, so use lotions/oils frequently and a thick restorative cream every night. I'd consult a dermatologist for recommended brands of soaps and creams, if the problem persists. Good luck.
Dec 15 new
Good morning Bernadette

The best thing for what you describe is "BAG BALM". It was originally developed for farmers who hand milked their cows and took the roughness of their hands away. It can be purchased in any drug Stores in both a small or large green square can. I have used it for years when in the construction business and with my horses.

Good luck and God love

Philip

Dec 15 new
Also, make sure you are drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day. Wearing gloves in the cold will protect them from further damage.
Dec 15 new

Vaseline on the hands before bedtime, with cheap cotton gloves over.

Maybe only wash your fingertips, not the entire hand.

Dec 15 new
(quote) Philip-600116 said: Good morning Bernadette

The best thing for what you describe is "BAG BALM". It was originally developed for farmers who hand milked their cows and took the roughness of their hands away. It can be purchased in any drug Stores in both a small or large green square can. I have used it for years when in the construction business and with my horses.

Good luck and God love

Philip

I had to laugh at your suggestion. It is certainly a good solution. A picture of the Bag Balm product is shown below.

www.usaemergencysupply.com

I grew up on a farm and milked our cows twice a day. There is a reason there is a picture of a cow udder on the can. I am amused when I see this sold in fancy department stores. It can be found at nearly any veterinary store or large-animal supply store. We always had a can of it in the cow barn to put it on the cow udder ("bag" - hence the name) after we finished milking the cows. This was especially necessary when we used small calves to "finish up" the milking. They would sometimes bite the cows, creating cuts. If we didn't heal the cuts quickly, it became difficult to milk the cow (by hand) because we would squeeze the cuts and the cow would try to kick... Not a pleasant experience for the cow or for the person trying to milk the cow. This Bag Balm was also very necessary during the cold and windy winter months, as it would keep the skin on their udder from drying and cracking.

Ed
Dec 15 new
Hi Bernadette! I can also attest to the Bag Balm. We used it on my mom; in fact, the hospice nurses recommended it. Also, sesame or coconut oil can help. Both have anti-microbial properties that will help keep your skin germ-free for the children. As Marge suggested, slather any one of them on your hands and sleep in inexpensive white cotton gloves. Chelle
Dec 16 new
I also suffer from dry hands in the winter time. In the past, I have found that washing with Dove lotion soap, instead of regular soap, when I can helps tremendously.
Dec 16 new
(quote) Charley-998972 said: You might want to try a moisturizing hand sanitizer instead of washing too frequently. It will kill germs and hopefully leave some protection as well. When you do wash, say before lunch and before you leave work, use an extra moisturizing soap.

It might take awhile for your hands to heal, so use lotions/oils frequently and a thick restorative cream every night. I'd consult a dermatologist for recommended brands of soaps and creams, if the problem persists. Good luck.
Very welcome Charley to the forum smile
Dec 16 new
Thanks for the ideas. I will pick some balm cream to night. I woek in large infant, toddler, preschool sight. I can't wash only finger tips or use a hand sanitizer. Working as a full time sub....so bring my own soap is not going to work but all your other ideas are great and I will try them.
Posts 1 - 10 of 20