Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Checks and balances

Dec 17th 2013 new
When I was in school we were told that the Fed. Gov. has a system of checks and balances to keep the judicial, the executive, and the legislative branches in check. It appears that they never existed, or that they have been a complete failure.
Executive branch...out of control
Congress....insanity
Judicial.....nothing is final, just shop your case around until you get what you want, while the Supremes sit on their over paid, under worked hands.
(Hopefully this topic will generate some posts in these underwhelming forums. Too many lurkers???)
Dec 17th 2013 new
ya think??
Dec 17th 2013 new

I think you could not have described the system any more eloquently. BUT there is always a BUT. What other system do we have & do we really want to trade it with any third world country?

Just a thought, That is why I stay out of politics. There is no good answer.

Thanks

Dec 17th 2013 new

I think you could not have described the system any more eloquently. BUT there is always a BUT. What other system do we have & do we really want to trade it with any third world country?

Thanks

Dec 17th 2013 new
(quote) Ann-1007504 said:

Thanks

I don't think we need another system, Ann, we just need to make checks and balances work.
Dec 17th 2013 new
(quote) Tom-54311 said: When I was in school we were told that the Fed. Gov. has a system of checks and balances to keep the judicial, the executive, and the legislative branches in check. It appears that they never existed, or that they have been a complete failure.
Congress....insanity
Judicial.....nothing is final, just shop your case around until you get what you want, while the Supremes sit on their over paid, under worked hands.
(Hopefully this topic will generate some posts in these underwhelming forums. Too many lurkers???)

I think one thing throwing the whole sequence of checks and balances out of whack is the extreme lobbying done over the last quarter of a century. I suspect lobbying has always had some kind of influence but I don't think such large amounts of money were used. And it seems the amount of money gets larger and larger.

I wish they could do something about this.

Dec 17th 2013 new
(quote) Tom-54311 said: When I was in school we were told that the Fed. Gov. has a system of checks and balances to keep the judicial, the executive, and the legislative branches in check. It appears that they never existed, or that they have been a complete failure.
Congress....insanity

I don't find STM underwhelming. I usually learn something all the time from reading
St. Thomas More.

Dec 17th 2013 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said:

I don't find STM underwhelming. I usually learn something all the time from reading
St. Thomas More.

The forums are pretty slow compared to 4 or 5 years ago.
Dec 17th 2013 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said:

I think one thing throwing the whole sequence of checks and balances out of whack is the extreme lobbying done over the last quarter of a century. I suspect lobbying has always had some kind of influence but I don't think such large amounts of money were used. And it seems the amount of money gets larger and larger.

I wish they could do something about this.

You nailed it Marianne. We have elected representatives who answer to lobbies, not their constituents who put them in office. The best government lobby money can buy. $4.2 Billion spent in the last Presidential election- I suppose you could call it the Campaign Industrial Complex.
Dec 17th 2013 new
(quote) Tom-54311 said: The forums are pretty slow compared to 4 or 5 years ago.
There is probably a natural ebb and flow to the forums. Are you talking about all the forums or just STM?
Posts 1 - 10 of 11