Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

The pope recently spoke of the times during a homily at a mass at the Vatican. Here is a report.

www.catholicnewsagency.com

Dec 18th 2013 new
(quote) Jim-624621 said: The pope recently spoke of the times during a homily at a mass at the Vatican. Here is a report.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/end-times-will-bring-greater-persecution-to-christians-pope-says/#.UpnHqKeIchM.facebook

Interesting.

When reading the document "Gaudium Evangelii", the last sentence of point 59 reads thus:

"We are far from the so called "end of history", since the conditions for a sustainable and peaceful development have not yet been adequately articulated and realized."

I was stunned when I read these words. I was always taught and believe the Church teaches that none of us know this, including any pope. Thus it behooves us to always be on our guard. Our life on earth for one, could end in an instant. And Christ will come when we know not, not even a pope.

So I am trying to wrap my head around the message the pope is sending. HOW does Pope Francis know this about the state of this world?

Dec 18th 2013 new
(quote) John-971967 said:

Interesting.

When reading the document "Gaudium Evangelii", the last sentence of point 59 reads thus:

"We are far from the so called "end of history", since the conditions for a sustainable and peaceful development have not yet been adequately articulated and realized."

I was stunned when I read these words. I was always taught and believe the Church teaches that none of us know this, including any pope. Thus it behooves us to always be on our guard. Our life on earth for one, could end in an instant. And Christ will come when we know not, not even a pope.

So I am trying to wrap my head around the message the pope is sending. HOW does Pope Francis know this about the state of this world?

It is difficult to tell at times whether the pope's words are just being set up and used by the Left for their own evil ends, or whether the pope is treading new ground and taking the church into uncharted waters. I want to believe he is a good pope with good intentions. Clearly, the Bible states that Jesus said no one knows the day nor the hour but only His Father in heaven. However, we can know the season as in the development of a fig tree when it sprouts, and Jesus gave us some signs to look for happening at the same time to know when He was near, even at the door. Are we seeing those signs now? We have been seeing many of them for years now. It is interesting timing that it will be 100 years since Fatima in 2017. Is that significant for us? It would seem that the entire 20th Century was one war after the next, all the while technology increased. It is mind numbing to think about all of this.

For me now, it is just best to worry about the present, and thank God for this gift of my life at this time, and seek His will to serve Him where I am and whatever happens.... happens, and it is inevitable, and it is God's plan for the world.

Dec 18th 2013 new
Is the Pope talking about the theological end of history or the term used by secular philosophers (Marx, Francis Fukuyama) to describe the highest point of human development? I think the context of paragraphs 59 and 60, which are grouped under the theme No to inequality which spawns violence, suggests he is talking about the latter. Google 'End of history'.
Dec 18th 2013 new
(quote) Roystan-340472 said: Is the Pope talking about the theological end of history or the term used by secular philosophers (Marx, Francis Fukuyama) to describe the highest point of human development? I think the context of paragraphs 59 and 60, which are grouped under the theme No to inequality which spawns violence, suggests he is talking about the latter. Google 'End of history'.
When we reach the end of history, I'll move to New Zealand because it won't happen there until at least 25 years later.
Dec 18th 2013 new
maybe closer to 40 laughing years
Dec 18th 2013 new
This reminds me of a book on the reading list in school.

en.wikipedia.org
Dec 18th 2013 new
Oh, you stop bullying the kid sister or we'll come around and slap your cat.
Dec 18th 2013 new
8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 All this I will give you, he said, if you will bow down and worship me.

Can the end time be a time of great peace, prosperity and behaviour which corresponds to moral uprightness, with all problems solved, with no abortions because everybody believes that abortions are abominable, no marriage breakdowns because everybody believes in honouring the marriage vow ... and where almost nobody believes in God but in the proved ability of technology and human benevolence to manufacture an earthly paradise?

Does the devil really get a thrill out of abortion, contraception, dishonesty, poverty, violence, the misuses of sex and all the other human dysfunctions?

The devil's only power on earth is the ability to tempt. No temptation, no sin. In offering to withdraw temptation from all the kingdoms of the world in return for a simple genuflection, wasn't the devil offering Jesus (and us) a world of perfectly simulated holiness, a situation that matches the real thing in every particular except the counterfeit worship?

Does the devil really want chaos on earth? Dysfunctional systems, such as the Roman Empire, eventually collapse. Wouldn't the devil prefer a stable, replicating system of functional systems on earth all not-worshipping God? Well, if he wants this, he'll need a world free of abortion, contraception, dishonesty, poverty, violence, the misuses of sex, etc. etc.

He offered Jesus a bargain with humans as hostages: "Worship me and human sin and suffering will end right now because you can run all the kingdoms of the world as you want."

The Pope refers to this, I think, when he says that under the pagan powers, people will be able to do many beautiful things except worship God. You can do beautiful things without worshipping God, if the devil wants to let you. All Lucifer did was reject God's authority. There's nothing in the book that says he wanted to replace the holiness of Creation up until that time with disease, decay and death. More likely than not, he was happy to let things run the way they always had as long as he was the boss.

Perhaps the signal for the end time is not turmoil and tribulation in the world but turmoil, tribulation, doubt and despair within the community of believers because they can see that nobody is worshipping God and yet everything is brilliantly peachy.

Dec 18th 2013 new
(quote) Jim-624621 said: It is difficult to tell at times whether the pope's words are just being set up and used by the Left for their own evil ends, or whether the pope is treading new ground and taking the church into uncharted waters. I want to believe he is a good pope with good intentions. Clearly, the Bible states that Jesus said no one knows the day nor the hour but only His Father in heaven. However, we can know the season as in the development of a fig tree when it sprouts, and Jesus gave us some signs to look for happening at the same time to know when He was near, even at the door. Are we seeing those signs now? We have been seeing many of them for years now. It is interesting timing that it will be 100 years since Fatima in 2017. Is that significant for us? It would seem that the entire 20th Century was one war after the next, all the while technology increased. It is mind numbing to think about all of this.

For me now, it is just best to worry about the present, and thank God for this gift of my life at this time, and seek His will to serve Him where I am and whatever happens.... happens, and it is inevitable, and it is God's plan for the world.

I hear you Jim, and I share your sentiments. For a brief moment, that statement also brought the remembrance of the "millennialism" heresy. But that is also a huge stretch. I need to just chill on this and focus on what I really should: Advent.

Posts 1 - 10 of 20