Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

GENEROUS DATE

Dec 20 new
How do you handle the overly generous date that overdoes it with the gifts?
Dec 20 new
(quote) Susan-857876 said: How do you handle the overly generous date that overdoes it with the gifts?
I would just, gently, tell him that I really don't need anything ............ well, except flowers ... those are the only gifts that I would consider accepting on a rather frequent basis. I would also tell him that with all those (other than flowers) gifts, I feel like my affections are being bought. Yes, there are many men who like to share their blessings (a sizable income) with others, but there are limits. I just am not comfortable with sensing that feeling like I'm being bought.

Good luck!

snowman fluffy snowman fluffy snowman fluffy snowman

Dec 20 new
it was a trial balloon [so to speak]. I should have that problem. eyepopping

I have seen something similiar here before and being Christmas time.
Dec 22 new
(quote) Susan-857876 said: How do you handle the overly generous date that overdoes it with the gifts?
Hi Susan! I actually broke up with my last boyfriend (among other reasons) because he wouldn't stopy buying me gifits. I told him that all I wanted was to be treated with caring and respect. Sadly, he just didn't get it! Chelle
Dec 22 new
You accept gifts graciously and say thank you. No one should dictate to anyone else how THEY should show kindness. Nor should anyone assume a gift means anything more than just what it is - a gift - a moment of kindness to bring you a moment of happiness or pleasure.

The other issues - feeling as though one is being 'bought' or not feeling respected enough, or feeling uncomfortable accepting those gifts - those are separate issues to address. If you truly feel the gifts are not being sincerely given without an ulterior motive - that's a personality or relationship issue that you must examine on your own - with or without the gift-giver - because the gifts themselves are not the real problem.

Just my 2 cents.
Dec 22 new
Generous date: how wonderful! I appreciate generous people so much! Really, it is a gift to meet
someone who enjoys being generous. I am so fortunate to receive such joy when I receive a gift.
Dec 22 new
My only experience with this was a nice man (whom I still consider a dear friend, btw) who started sending me flowers...but stopped talking or emailing to me.
boggled
Dec 22 new
I think we can all tell whether the gifts are sincerely given or not and we can acknowledge that. We may discern on our own how to react.
We may say thank you, or may say we are not able to accept them. Depending on what they are. Flowers are beautiful and always loved by men and women alike. If someone gives you an expensive gift and you are not "ready" for that, perhaps either the person can afford them and wants to be generous or maybe they are trying to "buy" your affection, you will know. Perhaps they are just excited to give. Hopefully not breaking the bank! The gift can be large or small. I would be leery if I knew they couldn't afford them.

I guess that is as individual as the person. Ice Skating present
Dec 23 new
At this time of year regifting comes to mind if they are not flowers or candy-sorry I can not pass on the chocolate this time of year.
Dec 23 new
(quote) Kristin-926543 said: At this time of year regifting comes to mind if they are not flowers or candy-sorry I can not pass on the chocolate this time of year.
God bless xmastree

-hypothetical question
Posts 1 - 10 of 25