Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

R C wealth

Dec 20th 2013 new
is there a way to liquidate some to provide for a need of the poor
eg for water and food in a poor country.
Dec 20th 2013 new
Liquidate some what?
Dec 20th 2013 new
(quote) Susan-857876 said: is there a way to liquidate some to provide for a need of the poor
The American taxpayer provides much for poor countries, far too much for those that do not need it, or deserve it. We could be a lot more fair in how we distribute that same amount.
Dec 20th 2013 new
(quote) Susan-857876 said: is there a way to liquidate some to provide for a need of the poor
What is RC wealth?
Dec 20th 2013 new
a member of our parish intercessary prayer group this week had recently been to the vatican
and commented that the Vatican could sell a few rugs or paintings and subsidise water purification for a country with the amount it sold for .
Dec 20th 2013 new
(quote) Susan-857876 said: a member of our parish intercessary prayer group this week had recently been to the vatican
and commented that the Vatican could sell a few rugs or paintings and subsidise water purification for a country with the amount it sold for .
More than likely a large portion of the money would end up lining the pockets of the local politicians...

Dec 20th 2013 new
I thought it was money belonging to the catholic church.
Dec 20th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: More than likely a large portion of the money would end up lining the pockets of the local politicians...

... And the "painting and rugs", etc. would likely be sold into private art collections where they would be unavailable for public viewing and appreciation from that day forward. I propose that those rather priceless and irreplaceable things be left safely at the Vatican where they can be appreciated by all, for generations (and centuries) to come.

Ed
Dec 20th 2013 new
(quote) Susan-857876 said: I thought it was money belonging to the catholic church.
Are you talking about money or artifacts? I thought you were referring to the latter until you specifically said money. The Church already gives tons of money. As for selling art and other treasures, your heart is in the right place but it isn't very efficient to sell off unique sacred art just to raise money for charity. The auctioneer - Sotheby's or whomever - takes a huge cut and the market for art is very illiquid and volatile.
Dec 20th 2013 new
The Roman Catholic Church has probably given more time, money and gifts to the world then we will ever understand this side of heaven. With Jesus's grace consider all of the saints, religious groups, missionaries etc. etc. Once when watching EWTN Mother Angilica commented that when she was building the new temple, many people were writing to complain that it was too "grand' even though five families had pledged to pay for everything. Her comment was why does it always have to be "cheap" when it comes to God. I think what she was trying to say is -we always want the best for ourselves but God comes second. If we all live our lives in accordance to total Catholic truth and grace this world probably would have very little hungry, poor living conditions etc. I live near the city of Detroit (which has declared bankruptcy) and the Detroit Institute of Arts is under fire from the city pensioners because of the five percent of the artwork that the city bought years ago. To my knowledge the remaining 95% of the artwork was donated (my last visit there showed that the Ford family probably donating at least one third of the art work) and it is interesting that the pensioners feel entitled to sell the art for their lost pensions due to city corruption and mismanagement. Can you see the similarities to this situation?
Posts 1 - 10 of 15