Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Weary of reading the verbal clashes between The Faithful and The Infidels, I wonder why CM includes any other questions whatsoever before reaching the "Almighty Absolutely Essential That You Score a Perfect 7" set of hand-picked exam questions.

Thus, as an active, enthusiastic person who is neither atheist not agnostic, nor Jewish, Protestant, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Native American, Rastafarian, Mormon, or any other organized religion that anyone is welcome to add to the list - but one who was born into a Catholic family, baptized, received the Sacraments of First Holy Communion, First Penance, was Confirmed, married (twice) within the Church, witnessed the Christening of both of my children, and brought them up in a Seemingly Catholic household, (and yes, they received the appropriate Sacraments when the time came around), I ask the members of CM the following:

Would you, or would you not, support the reorganization of CatholicMatch to begin the screening process with the 7-of-7 Questions, in order to ensure that only true Catholics, as defined by those 7 questions, are admitted as members of CM? (Assuming such a process would survive any challenges based on the US Constitution.)

Please provide a brief basis for your response.

(This is not intended to elicit flippant, personalized, or sarcastic responses, but to gather some measure of the relevance of other personal traits, qualities, preferences, or situations in the absence of a perfect score on the "7". The hope is that such a dichotomous query will encourage objective,forthright responses and free up a lot of time wasted in attempting either to convert the converted, or to convert the un-convertable.)

Dec 27th 2013 new
(quote) Maura-1030942 said: Weary of reading the verbal clashes between The Faithful and The Infidels, I wonder why CM includes any other questions whatsoever before reaching the "Almighty Absolutely Essential That You Score a Perfect 7" set of hand-picked exam questions.

Thus, as an active, enthusiastic person who is neither atheist not agnostic, nor Jewish, Protestant, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Native American, Rastafarian, Mormon, or any other organized religion that anyone is welcome to add to the list - but one who was born into a Catholic family, baptized, received the Sacraments of First Holy Communion, First Penance, was Confirmed, married (twice) within the Church, witnessed the Christening of both of my children, and brought them up in a Seemingly Catholic household, (and yes, they received the appropriate Sacraments when the time came around), I ask the members of CM the following:

Would you, or would you not, support the reorganization of CatholicMatch to begin the screening process with the 7-of-7 Questions, in order to ensure that only true Catholics, as defined by those 7 questions, are admitted as members of CM? (Assuming such a process would survive any challenges based on the US Constitution.)

(This is not intended to elicit flippant, personalized, or sarcastic responses, but to gather some measure of the relevance of other personal traits, qualities, preferences, or situations in the absence of a perfect score on the "7". The hope is that such a dichotomous query will encourage objective,forthright responses and free up a lot of time wasted in attempting either to convert the converted, or to convert the un-convertable.)

HI Maura,

I would not support the reorganization of CM to begin with the 7 of 7 in order to ensure that only true Catholics are admitted, Because:

1. These seven of seven are for me merely informational. They do not in any way comment on the true Catholicity of an individual. At best they may represent where a person is in their faith journey and at the best they provide a set of topics that would be of interest in discussion to me.

2. This list could just as easily be the twelve points of faith found in the Apostolic and Nicene creeds. (while the seven of seven covers most of them, we could make it even more foundational.)

3. My faith journey is mine and mine alone. I am called to engage, to live, to experience others in that process. Perhaps I offer a perspective to another that they have not considered, perhaps they to me.

4. As a method of swift sorting of potential mates it works much like the GRE or the ACT an act which only limits a large pool to a smaller pool for ease of management. If being a strict adherent to the seven of seven is important to a person then by all means they should utilize it in that function. For others, like me it is merely auxillary information, which should I pursue knowing more I can ask about. Their response would be what provided enough information to make a decision based on continuing or not in pursuing a match with someone.

5. that list is no guarantee that the individual really believes that, has their faith all figured out, or are in essence a person worthy of knowing. -- or more importantly, that the person believes or accepts but still struggles with it -- a far more genuine relationship I think when we get down to the nitty gritty. I know for myself -- not one of the 7/7 per se, I struggled mightily with the teachings on corporal punishment -- but after much prayer and reading and exploring came to be able to say that yes I accept this now and I can say why.

Hope that is what you had in mind in your query.
Dec 27th 2013 new
Praying as usual, I am 5 to 10 steps behind most but seeking tolerance and kindness Praying
Dec 28th 2013 new

To present a "seemingly" Catholic image while believing it not is a lie. It mocks and ridicules the Catholic institution when one's admissions of denial are expressed; it becomes a self inflicted, a cruel, punishment (a millstone) one ties to one's neck and seriously scandalizes those that listen to them. God have mercy upon such souls.

I truly pray that such persons can come to personal terms with the rules of the Maker (instead of one's rules imposed on God - good luck with that) before it is too late.

The answer is very simple really. You/I either truly believe that which is Catholic or you/I don't.

Why do persons want to belong to someone they have no faith in if not just to mock, ridicule and tear down? Or worse!!!

Dec 28th 2013 new
No, there is no need to reorganize this, for this is our faith. Our faith and the Church's teaching is what we believe.

The Church's teaching is what it is, and one needs to grow and understand this faith with God. Every one grows in their faith at different levels, for some it takes a longer time. Through prayer and with the guidance of the Holy Spirit we grow and recognize the truth.
Jesus is the Way, the Light, and the Truth.
We don't have the right to pick and choose what we want to believe. it is not easy to keep faithful and follow the teachings of the church. We are called to follow the Beatitudes, I assure you, that you will never finish working through the Beatitudes in your lifetime.
On the other hand, it is not healthy for our faith to have those with opposition to the teachings, rather those should try to understand and learn more about their faith and the teachings, instead of condemning them. Jesus is the invisible head of the Church. Maybe we could start to ask Jesus about it.
Dec 28th 2013 new
(quote) Maura-1030942 said: Weary of reading the verbal clashes between The Faithful and The Infidels, I wonder why CM includes any other questions whatsoever before reaching the "Almighty Absolutely Essential That You Score a Perfect 7" set of hand-picked exam questions.

Hi Maura,

Just me, I don't see a particular need to change the format. With only a couple exceptions, if I asked for clarification, a prompt, informative response came back.

Just me again, even if some of the sevens were negative, that is not an absolute deal breaker before discussion, if other aspects were positive, To get answers, I need to ask the questions.
Dec 28th 2013 new
Hi Maura,

While I understand where you are coming from, I believe that this would create a sort of doctrinal nit picking on the site. As it is, people are free to answer honestly on this site about the seven. If this site were to use the seven as a screening process, then you might get people who are dishonest about their answers just to get on this site. Our morals and doctrinal beliefs are very attractive to others who want a good husband or wife, yet they don't hold them themselves. There are many who would, shall we say, fly under the radar (and it is very easy to do) in order to be on this site. Believe me I have experienced this in my own life.

With the site structured as it is, I at least have a better chance for honesty in others.

Hope this helps,

David
Dec 28th 2013 new

Hello Maura;

Given that there are reasons for excluding certain "types" of Catholics from participating in "Catholic Match" ,a better reason for exclusion than a person's strict adherence to Catholic theology is the person's status in regard to being "free" to receive the Sacrament of Matrimony.

Since all CM members seeking to marry strictly insist on a Catholic marriage only , the inability of CM members to marry in the Church is a more serious impediment than issues of theology.

I am friendly with a female CM member who attends Mass in the same Church as I do, and she can marry in the Church because she was granted an Annulment. However, she admitted she was a "sinner" because as best I know she was having an "affair" with a non-Catholic man. I did not condemn her for this, but my intuition lead to conclude she was making a grave mistake, as indeed she was.

Posts 1 - 8 of 8