Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

www.forbes.com

I wanted to share some of my experience with online dating scammers. Yes, I was an unwitting victim. And I want to help educate others so they can avoid what I went through. Forewarned is forearmed.

Here is a typical first letter.... www.romancescam.com

The Germans have a website dedicated to my 1st scammer:
www.anti-scam-forum.net

Have you run into any of these fakers?

Virginia

Dec 28th 2013 new
Dear Ginia,
I am a 51 year old handsome man who very much likes his catholic identity. I having filled out the 7/7 questionaire to affirm my desire for a lasting and satisfying love affair with a totally catholic woman. I am prepared to fulfill her every catholic wish. I am desiring to be open to as many childrens as God would will for us. I only want to make my catholic princess the happiest woman in the church and in our love nest. School plays are my favorite activity as am little grandchildren, even if they spits up on my shirt.
Signed,
A very catholic prince in shining armor.
Dec 28th 2013 new

You two are too funny. It will be fun to watch your thread develop, Ginny.

Dec 28th 2013 new
(quote) Ginia-1026653 said: http://www.forbes.com/sites/billsinger/2013/02/15/fbi-warns-about-online-dating-scams/

I wanted to share some of my experience with online dating scammers. Yes, I was an unwitting victim. And I want to help educate others so they can avoid what I went through. Forewarned is forearmed.

Here is a typical first letter.... http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=32858&sid=8a6e36fb782142884e8aa84e4a86626a

http://www.anti-scam-forum.net/showFullThread_1309434280.htm

Virginia

WOW. I just checked the second link and could see these are all going to provide very valuable information.

Thank you for this Ginia and I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

I've had a few close call, but thankfully, recognized there was something wrong right away. Scammers might not always be easy to spot but there definitely are similar traits to look for. I think many of us want so much to find that special someone that we ignore signs right in front of us that make us think in the back of our minds "hym, that was strange" as we continue reading in the hopes that that fleeting thought was just our mistake. Being new and inexperienced at online dating sites is the worst if you don't have a friend or mentor to guide you. I never knew or expected just how many scammers there are online.
Dec 28th 2013 new
(quote) Ginia-1026653 said: http://www.forbes.com/sites/billsinger/2013/02/15/fbi-warns-about-online-dating-scams/

Here is a typical first letter.... http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=32858&sid=8a6e36fb782142884e8aa84e4a86626a

http://www.anti-scam-forum.net/showFullThread_1309434280.htm

Virginia

Hi Ginia,

I have run into them in droves. Awhile back --- several months ago we had a thread on this topic and I wrote a huge detailed post about them because I was rather incensed by them. Suffice it to say, the first one was supposedly a 30 year military guy currently stationed in the Middle East etc with a young son who was in the care of his elderly uncle who had also raised him. . .I had some serious red flags with the guy and kept waiting for the shoe to drop. . . he began mentioning his son complaining of serious stomach pains -- I encouraged him to get his uncle to take him to the doctor as it could have been an appendicitis, blah, blah -- sure enough that is what the doctor decided (a week or more later) and he would need surgery but they wouldn't do it until they had received 1500 dollars. Some serious issues with this scenario:
1. if truly military this kid would have been covered on his father's Tri-care
2. the military would have made sure all details of the kiddo's care had been outlined before deployment
3. the father would have made child support/funding arrangements for the kiddo before deployment
4. An appendicitis is an urgent medical need and a hospital would have operated and worked out a payment plan later.
5. having waited this long the chance that the kiddo was still alive with a by now burst appendix and massive internal infection would have been a miracle.

Anyway I didn't bite at helping with the $1500.. . elder uncle scrounged together all but $350 -- he asks if I would help -- I said absolutely: give me your sons full name, the hospital where the surgery will take place and I will call immediately and set up the payment.

Not good enough, his uncle was very proud I should just send him the money via Western Union. . . I stick to my guns, if you want my help this is the only way I can do it. . .I got all sorts of hateful emails after that --- how could I do that and let a child suffer, blah, blah

My son in the meantime who was deployed was having a fit. He emailed the guy and got him to email back. Josh took the email and forwarded it to their security detail. Yep somewhere from Africa far, far away from Kabul. . .anyway Josh taught me how to get the IP address as well and look it up for destination.

Bottom line these guys all follow the same scripts with minor variations. Watch out for these especially: guys who are supposed to be in the military and guys who are engineers - self employed - and building massive bridge projects mostly on their own dime and are stranded -- I know of a fella who was taken for $3000 he took out a loan for and then was completely frantic to come up with another $50,000 for his "love" who was stranded and playing all the guilt cards on the guy, including but this other guy is giving me $25,000 -- how can i marry you if you can't help me. This poor fella was already massively depressed and desperate for love and this nearly undid him. I spent most of a day getting someone to him to keep him from doing something really stupid.

I guess I am still incensed. In my FB other messages I have over 100 messages from these guys. I have only run into one or two from here and they didn't survive long. But, other venues are more accessible to them.

A couple of warning signs:
1. the story -- see the link Ginia posted
2. they cannot write like a native English speaker
3. the writing and interaction will be inconsistent -- some will be better and some will be poor - grammar wise -- because they are sitting in a room -- several of them and you are probably speaking to more than one.
4. they come on crazy strong
5. they are preying on the lonely and desperate for love
6. check their IP address
7. check for messages from mobile versus from web
8. if they give you a yahoo address and want you to talk on yahoo messenger -- BEWARE
9. copy and paste part of their letters into google and you will generally find a version on a scammer website
10. they whip out the guilt language if questioned or refused.

What can you do?
1. flat out reject them
2. get an email and check the IP address
3. report them to the admins of wherever they contact you from
4. report them to the military -- they have a website specifically for this.
5. warn others

I hadn't intended to write such a long response but these guys really bug the fire out of me.
Dec 28th 2013 new
(quote) Larry-994477 said: Dear Ginia,
I am a 51 year old handsome man who very much likes his catholic identity. I having filled out the 7/7 questionaire to affirm my desire for a lasting and satisfying love affair with a totally catholic woman. I am prepared to fulfill her every catholic wish. I am desiring to be open to as many childrens as God would will for us. I only want to make my catholic princess the happiest woman in the church and in our love nest. School plays are my favorite activity as am little grandchildren, even if they spits up on my shirt.
Signed,
A very catholic prince in shining armor.
LOL Larry -- sort of -- but the grammar is too good. You have to say: I was so captivated by your most beauty, wow, how did you get so beautiful. I will like to better know you. . . etc
Dec 28th 2013 new

Your title says it all, Ginny. If a remarkably handsome 33 year old is taking time to send me messages, something is amiss. Thank you for the detailed explanations.

More advice for Larry...Don't use capital letters or punctuation. We like to know when we're dealing with a scammer!

Dec 28th 2013 new
(quote) Lauren-927923 said: LOL Larry -- sort of -- but the grammar is too good. You have to say: I was so captivated by your most beauty, wow, how did you get so beautiful. I will like to better know you. . . etc
That's it, I am firing my scammers and hiring yours. Mine never tell me of my incredible beauty. However, I have received scores and scores of emails from various "widows" of everyone from African Secretaries of defense, to arms manufacturers. They always have millions to billions that they need to donate to ME, a worthy cause. Usually, it is to further some missionary work or as reparation of their sins, etc. They often just need me to handle the financial transaction in USA for them, and in exchange I get oogle bucks.

I don't know if women get these kind of scams or variations of them, but these appeal to my faith (Dearest Brother in Christ...etc). Most of my female scammers are on Christian Mingle (my guilty secret here). But for some reason they are always between 30 and 35 and they simply MUST have a relationship with a father figure, sometimes a grandfather figure. (No, I am NOT that old!) But I find them mildly amusing as opposed to infuriating. But then I always feel sorry for telemarketers. I envision a single mother working for minimum wage with a horrible supervisor harassing and threatening them with dismissal and ever increasing quotos.(shudder!)
Dec 28th 2013 new
I get scammers like this all the time too.
"You beauty touch my heart. I fall to your feet in ecstasy if you just looked my way and smile that stunning. Please to write to me at soonest. My heart stops until we meet." was my latest.
Think I should write him back?
Dec 28th 2013 new
(quote) Larry-994477 said: That's it, I am firing my scammers and hiring yours. Mine never tell me of my incredible beauty. However, I have received scores and scores of emails from various "widows" of everyone from African Secretaries of defense, to arms manufacturers. They always have millions to billions that they need to donate to ME, a worthy cause. Usually, it is to further some missionary work or as reparation of their sins, etc. They often just need me to handle the financial transaction in USA for them, and in exchange I get oogle bucks.

I don't know if women get these kind of scams or variations of them, but these appeal to my faith (Dearest Brother in Christ...etc). Most of my female scammers are on Christian Mingle (my guilty secret here). But for some reason they are always between 30 and 35 and they simply MUST have a relationship with a father figure, sometimes a grandfather figure. (No, I am NOT that old!) But I find them mildly amusing as opposed to infuriating. But then I always feel sorry for telemarketers. I envision a single mother working for minimum wage with a horrible supervisor harassing and threatening them with dismissal and ever increasing quotos.(shudder!)
Hi Larry,

Yes, the must profess your beauty, the breathtakingness of your smile and acknowledge your angelic origin. . .

I have had the widows of foreign dignitaries emails as well -- they are mild in comparison to the romance scammer.

They operate on what they think will endear another:

desperate and lonely widow -- needs overly fluffy love talk and a man just DYING to be with her -- works on their lonliness and perhaps vanity as well. . .

Older man -- needs attention of younger female --- works on their pride/vanity/self-esteem

Mother or wanting to be a mother -- my poor motherless child needs you. . .and so do I

That's what I find so infuriating -- that they make an entire living out of preying on people's emotions . . .

Posts 1 - 10 of 114