Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

Self Care

Dec 28th 2013 new
Question for all the parents:

What do you do for self care?

How often do you give yourself time for self care?

I'm a mommy, therapist to felons, and I'm done for the day. I feel like when I do take time out for myself I'm still tired and then broke from having spent the money; massage, nails, hair.

Just thought I'd ask and get some advice from my fellow single parents?
Dec 28th 2013 new
(quote) Tricia-877261 said: Question for all the parents:

I'm a mommy, therapist to felons, and I'm done for the day. I feel like when I do take time out for myself I'm still tired and then broke from having spent the money; massage, nails, hair.

I absolutely schedule it...and unless there's illness/dire emergency....I work around it for everything else.

After my schedules for all 7 kids/teens are pretty established for the semester/sports/dance rehearsal season..I find the LONGEST period of time...that I could possibly be free...after work...etc., and I BLOCK schedule...Back to back eautician/nail tech in that same time period...if it's too long a time to be away...I try to do back to back appointments...one day and next day...so that my month ticks along....and I am not making 16,000 appts-too much!

Hope this helps... I have learned to ask for pickup/dropoff help THAT ONE DAY, too.
I do not ask for help generally since these 7 are my responsibility...but i do scout out help if I am cutting it close time wise to get across town....just on that one "time for me" day!

It makes me feel so much more like a person in addition to mother/professional...and it does soooo give me a lift! I can spoil myself! It feels great...just that one set of appointments! :)

Dec 28th 2013 new
bless you both................my daughter is part of a day spa which of course I cannot afford weeping

but she gives me coupons/ideas
Dec 28th 2013 new
(quote) Tricia-877261 said: Question for all the parents:

Tricia,

This is one of my New Year's resolutions. I like to get my eyebrows waxed -- so much faster -- but I've gotten to wear I only get there like once every two or three months. I get a manicure about twice a year. I'd like to get on a better routine with that and with getting my hair cut -- I do that on a whim about twice a year as well. . .it is time.
Jan 3rd 2014 new
(quote) Barbara-863769 said: I absolutely schedule it...and unless there's illness/dire emergency....I work around it for everything else.

I echo Barbara's approach--schedule it! In addition to grooming type self-care, getting out is important to me-- I belong to a Meet-up International Dining Group & Salsa group. There are several ethnic festivals I look forward to, plus other activities I enjoy. Short version: schedule what you find enjoyable!
Jan 3rd 2014 new
Salsa!!!!! Awesome, Joan....you are so doing the right thing for yourself...I would LOVE the opportunity for Salsa!

Keep those creative ideas coming...I enjoy them vicariously!!! biggrin
Jan 3rd 2014 new
(quote) Barbara-863769 said: Salsa!!!!! Awesome, Joan....you are so doing the right thing for yourself...I would LOVE the opportunity for Salsa!

Keep those creative ideas coming...I enjoy them vicariously!!!
Barbara, go to "meetup.com," I bet you find salsa and/or other latin dancing in Tallahassee. Schedule it wink
Jan 6th 2014 new
I just cling to the hope of having one night every other weekend! Typically 1-2 of the 5 kids will not want to go to their dad's for various reasons...but every third or fourth time I get them all to go for at least 1 night....then it is me time!

And my 2 besties keep me sane through texting/email/calls...even if for only a few seconds, you gotta have a release!
Jan 6th 2014 new

Hmmm. Wondering what you mean by "self-care"? scratchchin

It doesn't have to involve money. I get "recharged" by a long walk along, or coffee/brunch with a friend, or a long bubble bath.

Jan 7th 2014 new
I love to escape by sitting down with a good book when the kids are sleeping, at friends, or just gone for a couple hours. I also enjoy journaling or sitting down by the river or outside with a mountain view. It doesn't need to cost a lot of money for "self-care" because caring for yourself emotionally with allow you to feel more energized. It is hard as a single parent to get some quiet time to recharge your batteries. I try to take advantage of any opportunity to do so and if my house is messy because of it...well...it'll get done another day. You are important too.
Posts 1 - 10 of 13