Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Greetings! I'm curious about reactions when people see a "yes" response to "Considering Religious Vocation".

Personally, I checked "yes" because, though I believe I'm called to marriage, I hope to be open to God's call to a religious vocation, if that's His will. So it is a consideration. When I see that a man is considering a religious vocation, however, I tend to think to myself: "oh, I don't want to be an obstacle if that is the direction God is leading him". I wonder if men think something similar if they see "yes" on a lady's profile. I also wonder if this possible perception keeps people from answering honestly.

But, then again, if we're truly open to God's will, doesn't that include the possibility of a religious vocation (unless someone has dependents, of course)?!

Just wondering. scratchchin biggrin
Dec 28 new
Any thoughts????
Dec 28 new
Yes, don't make it harder for the poor male brain to process any more female subtleties than it has to.
Dec 28 new
(quote) Olivia-111035 said: Greetings! I'm curious about reactions when people see a "yes" response to "Considering Religious Vocation".
Personally, I checked "yes" because, though I believe I'm called to marriage, I hope to be open to God's call to a religious vocation, if that's His will. So it is a consideration. When I see that a man is considering a religious vocation, however, I tend to think to myself: "oh, I don't want to be an obstacle if that is the direction God is leading him". I wonder if men think something similar if they see "yes" on a lady's profile. I also wonder if this possible perception keeps people from answering honestly.
But, then again, if we're truly open to God's will, doesn't that include the possibility of a religious vocation (unless someone has dependents, of course)?!
Just wondering.
You know Olivia, just recently I had a man view my profile, which in his profile he was considering a vocation, but all the more, he was already a novice in a monastery. He was looking for friendship? I must say I was surprised and confused of what he was really doing.
I did think for a minute.... wow, he is two timing the monastery..... I know bad me. But I couldn't help it.

However, your point is really correct, yes, since we all say what God wills for us. Then we would have to rethink about that when we run across it in a profile. Most of the time, I think the person is being called to be in God's service and would be their friend but nothing more.
There is always much to talk about.
Dec 28 new
(quote) Roystan-340472 said: Yes, don't make it harder for the poor male brain to process any more female subtleties than it has to.
Hmm, that's a thought. Thanks, Royston.
Dec 28 new
(quote) Cindy-534370 said: You know Olivia, just recently I had a man view my profile, which in his profile he was considering a vocation, but all the more, he was already a novice in a monastery. He was looking for friendship? I must say I was surprised and confused of what he was really doing.
I did think for a minute.... wow, he is two timing the monastery..... I know bad me. But I couldn't help it.

However, your point is really correct, yes, since we all say what God wills for us. Then we would have to rethink about that when we run across it in a profile. Most of the time, I think the person is being called to be in God's service and would be their friend but nothing more.
There is always much to talk about.
Re the novice in a monastery:
Gosh, I'd assume participating in a site primarily purposed for matchmaking wouldn't be allowed. I mean, friend-making is a definite possibility and I've been blessed in that way on CM, for sure, but that just doesn't seem kosher to me. Interesting.

Re God's will:
Yeah, I just feel like saying "no" to even considering a religious vocation is akin to saying, "my will, not Yours, Lord". But maybe the CM question is more specific? Maybe the question means a person is in focused discernment regarding a religious vocation, and is actually researching and visiting communities or vocation directors, but still open to the marital vocation? In which case, my answer is "no" because I'm not doing all that - I'm on CatholicMatch hoping to meet my future husband!

Hmmmm scratchchin scratchchin scratchchin
Dec 28 new

Olivia

You seem like a very kind and honest soul, however this is a dating site, so if I look at a guy's profile and it says that to me it means he is not interested in marriage. Some of the profile's say they are widowed and are becoming deacons but that is different. I think it is honorable that you are putting God wishes first but a guy looking to date might see it differently.

Dec 28 new
(quote) Kristin-926543 said:

Olivia

You seem like a very kind and honest soul, however this is a dating site, so if I look at a guy's profile and it says that to me it means he is not interested in marriage. Some of the profile's say they are widowed and are becoming deacons but that is different. I think it is honorable that you are putting God wishes first but a guy looking to date might see it differently.

Thanks, Kristin. Yes, I think you are right, just as it causes me to go "hmmm" when I see a "yes" on a gentleman's profile.

Gosh golly geeeeeee-willagers, so much to consider in cyber-land, isn't there?!

flower
Jan 03 new
(quote) Olivia-111035 said: Greetings! I'm curious about reactions when people see a "yes" response to "Considering Religious Vocation".
Personally, I checked "yes" because, though I believe I'm called to marriage, I hope to be open to God's call to a religious vocation, if that's His will. So it is a consideration. When I see that a man is considering a religious vocation, however, I tend to think to myself: "oh, I don't want to be an obstacle if that is the direction God is leading him". I wonder if men think something similar if they see "yes" on a lady's profile. I also wonder if this possible perception keeps people from answering honestly.
But, then again, if we're truly open to God's will, doesn't that include the possibility of a religious vocation (unless someone has dependents, of course)?!
Just wondering.
Thank you Olivia as I had this question myself. I answered no to "Considering Religious Vocation." Earlier this year, I discerned a religious vocation. The Lord didn't open that door for me in all my feeble inquiries. The Holy Spirit then led me through the following events. I experienced a powerful transformation of healing of my heart. I began my consecration to Mary via St. Louis de Montfort. On the 15th day of the 33 day consecration, I was invited to be a service team member for a women's ministry. The ministry has fulfilled my desire to serve God and help others. I then decided to try Catholic Match and will see how the Lord Will unfolds for me.



Jan 04 new
I became Catholic because of a group of friars, so I tend to be drawn towards that lifestyle and have a lot of monk and friar friends.
I answered no to discerning a religious vocation because I've gone thru the discerning process with a religious vocation and it's not what I am called to. However, the monks and friars I know often have stories of dating, and possibly even mutually falling in love, but they realized thru that relationship or relationships that they were being called to religious life.
Should we shy away from someone who might do the same thing with us? I don't think so. Couples discern that they aren't meant to be together for all sorts of reasons. Being part of someone's discernment process for marriage or religious life would be awesome. As long as God's will being done is where we find our joy, what a fun adventure to take. biggrin
Just my two cents. wink
God bless!
biggrin

Posts 1 - 10 of 13