Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

The New Year is about to begin. I wondered if anyone wanted to share my resolution to get healthier?

I saw this guy on EWTN speak about preventing Alzheimer's disease which is sweeping the western world.

www.youtube.com

His programme is D.E.A.R. is about Diet, Exercise, Accentuating the brain, Rest & relaxation. See the 8 minute clip attached.

I am going to be working on this through Lent till Easter Sunday.

Starting Weight: 310 lbs
Easter Sunday: 260 lbs
Want to lose: 50 lbs

If anyone wants to give this a go you don't have to post your weight, just how much you want to lose.

Mark
Ps. Disclaimer - I'm not a healthcare professional. Please consult your doctor before starting any weight-loss programme. Good luck!

Dec 29 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said:

If anyone wants to give this a go you don't have to post your weight, just how much you want ...

Hi Mark,
Congratulations on your courage in not only resolving to do this but also announcing it here. I will be praying for you.
I also like that this addresses diet, exercise, brain work, and r and r.
It wouldn't hurt me to lose a few pounds but for me the primary goal will be that balance of a consistently healthy diet, adequate exercise, study and rest and relaxation.
I work full time about an hour from home so maintaining a balance in these areas is both vital and difficult during this season of my life.
My effort for today began with doing the Praise Moves DVD I bought after someone suggested it in another thread ..here I should admit that I don't quite make it through the beginner workout yet but I am making it further than I did the first week....and then working with my boys to put a good dinner in the crock pot and bread machine before leaving for mass.
Thanks for starting the thread! wave
Dec 29 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: The New Year is about to begin. I wondered if anyone wanted to share my resolution to get healthier?

I saw this guy on EWTN speak about preventing Alzheimer's disease which is sweeping the western world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7iBEF9b2vc
Hi Mark,

I am committed to a healthier year. Since my husband was killed, I have had an exceptionally difficult time with eating properly, so I am wanting to put this task as a priority along with increasing my physical stamina etc.

My younger brother would do program after program and due to some medications he had to take etc was always frustrated by the scale. About three years ago now, he decided to just think about getting healthier and ignore the weight part of it. That was the first time he was happy about his program -- he improved his stamina, range of motion etc and now three years later the weight is no longer an issue and he feels better than he has in years. So I am going to try and keep that attitude as well :-).

It will be nice to keep tabs with others and see our progress. Count me in.

Lauren
Dec 29 new
Hi Mark! I'm all about getting healthier in the New Year. My goals are to:

Faithfully take my supplements
Eat more nutritiously
Increase my activity level, and
Calm my mind and body

I hope to check in with you and everyone else to support each other and monitor our progress.

Happy New Year! Chelle
Dec 29 new
My place of employment had a biggest loser contest from Halloween to Christmas and I already lost 20lbs. I'm still hoping to lose another 10-15. I think this will be the harder part. I am so competitive that it was pretty easy to lose the first 20. Now that the contest is over I have to motivate myself! We'll see how it goes. I already have so much more energy and the desire to exercise. That is always a plus!
Dec 29 new
count me in.. but more about dealing with employees
[and people in general] in a more christian way.

having two sons who think ketchup is a vegetable,
I wonder how they are still breathing laughing

there is life after junk food it seems rolling eyes
Dec 29 new
Great going! I saw few of these episodes where the Priest & the Dr. discussed avoiding dementia. Glad you have reminded us. Maybe we can put it to practice.
Dec 29 new
(quote) Susan-857876 said: count me in.. but more about dealing with employees
[and people in general] in a more christian way.

having two sons who think ketchup is a vegetable,
I wonder how they are still breathing

there is life after junk food it seems
lol Susan ketchup is a vegetable, not only that it is a staple. When I was a kid I used to eat ketchup sandwiches all the time. . .in fact I just bought bread and a new bottle of ketchup. . . hmmmmm.
Dec 29 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: Starting Weight: 310 lbs
Easter Sunday: 260 lbs
Want to lose: 50 lbs

That's basically three pounds per week for 16 weeks. It isn't impossible to lose weight that quickly, but most successful dieters are going to lose weight at the rate of 1-2 pounds per week, not three. Consider adjusting your time frame accordingly, and good luck with your fitness goals!
Dec 30 new
Thanks for the initiative.
I would love to lose the extra weight that I put on the past two years.
I plan to exercise regularly.I started spinning again this month.Swimming more than once a week would be another great whenever possible.
I also have to try to pack my lunch and a fruit for work so that I'll eat a healthier meal,skip or eat late .

Posts 1 - 10 of 73