Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Happy New Year, Fellow Wizards, It's old wizard James here, to water down your Champagne. You must excuse me, as I rarely drink, and I'm sitting here alone. In various forums, including those outside of CM, I've brought up the issue of NSA spying on ordinary American citizens. By "ordinary", I mean anyone with a cell phone, and apparently an Internet connection. I mentioned how this was very likely a violation of the 4th Amendment, which says: "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Unlike the rather clumsy wording of the 2nd Amendment, the 4th Amendment is simple and elegant. I would like for everyone to watch a short video from The Young Turks: www.youtube.com All information on telephone calls are required to be turned over to the NSA for "processing". This of course started under Bush, but there were those of us who had a faint hope that things might change. How foolish we were. But what is interesting is that the Republicans, who otherwise hate Obama, are with him on this. And aside from a few lonely Democrats, so is the other side. If I were to mention anything about registering guns, all heck would break loose. Somewhere else on STM, a bunch of wizards are arguing over some "mountain man" who hates gays, and thinks marrying 15 year old girls is okay. But the Government violating our privacy? Hey, man, were cool with that. I'm not cool with that. If the Government wants my phone records or the contents of my computer, they can serve me with a warrant. I'll even make tea for them. But don't do it behind my back. I promise I'm not a terrorist. I've never been able to get any traction on this issue. Maybe this time, we can get a discussion going. James party
Jan 01 new
(quote) James-17080 said: Happy New Year, Fellow Wizards, It's old wizard James here, to water down your Champagne. You must excuse me, as I rarely drink, and I'm sitting here alone. In various forums, including those outside of CM, I've brought up the issue of NSA spying on ordinary American citizens. By "ordinary", I mean anyone with a cell phone, and apparently an Internet connection. I mentioned how this was very likely a violation of the 4th Amendment, which says: "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Unlike the rather clumsy wording of the 2nd Amendment, the 4th Amendment is simple and elegant. I would like for everyone to watch a short video from The Young Turks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1AZHEkmm0g All information on telephone calls are required to be turned over to the NSA for "processing". This of course started under Bush, but there were those of us who had a faint hope that things might change. How foolish we were. But what is interesting is that the Republicans, who otherwise hate Obama, are with him on this. And aside from a few lonely Democrats, so is the other side. If I were to mention anything about registering guns, all heck would break loose. Somewhere else on STM, a bunch of wizards are arguing over some "mountain man" who hates gays, and thinks marrying 15 year old girls is okay. But the Government violating our privacy? Hey, man, were cool with that. I'm not cool with that. If the Government wants my phone records or the contents of my computer, they can serve me with a warrant. I'll even make tea for them. But don't do it behind my back. I promise I'm not a terrorist. I've never been able to get any traction on this issue. Maybe this time, we can get a discussion going. James
Hi James

" Shall not be violated "

I agree.
Jan 01 new
(quote) James-17080 said: Happy New Year, Fellow Wizards, It's old wizard James here, to water down your Champagne. You must excuse me, as I rarely drink, and I'm sitting here alone. In various forums, including those outside of CM, I've brought up the issue of NSA spying on ordinary American citizens. By "ordinary", I mean anyone with a cell phone, and apparently an Internet connection. I mentioned how this was very likely a violation of the 4th Amendment, which says: "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Unlike the rather clumsy wording of the 2nd Amendment, the 4th Amendment is simple and elegant. I would like for everyone to watch a short video from The Young Turks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1AZHEkmm0g All information on telephone calls are required to be turned over to the NSA for "processing". This of course started under Bush, but there were those of us who had a faint hope that things might change. How foolish we were. But what is interesting is that the Republicans, who otherwise hate Obama, are with him on this. And aside from a few lonely Democrats, so is the other side. If I were to mention anything about registering guns, all heck would break loose. Somewhere else on STM, a bunch of wizards are arguing over some "mountain man" who hates gays, and thinks marrying 15 year old girls is okay. But the Government violating our privacy? Hey, man, were cool with that. I'm not cool with that. If the Government wants my phone records or the contents of my computer, they can serve me with a warrant. I'll even make tea for them. But don't do it behind my back. I promise I'm not a terrorist. I've never been able to get any traction on this issue. Maybe this time, we can get a discussion going. James
Hi James.

jooic, could you list a link where the mountain man states he hates gays ?

jooic, what is the legal age for marriage in the state where that vid was recorded at the time it was recorded ?

jooic, does the Church have a uniform binding age for marriage ?

Just me, I feel that the " gotcha " technicalities are obscuring the real question : who has freedom in this culture ?
Jan 01 new
Bernie, what does "jooic" mean? Jim party
Jan 01 new
Hi Bernie, Someone at least partially agrees with me party Jim party
Jan 01 new
(quote) James-17080 said: Bernie, what does "jooic" mean? Jim
Sorry, James. just out of idle curiosity
Jan 01 new
(quote) Bernie-645443 said: Sorry, James. just out of idle curiosity
No problem, Bernie. I wish to point out that this is not a thread on "Phil Robertson" (someone I never heard of before last week). I do hope we can stay on topic :-) But I will address your questions. Robertson apparently does not hate gays, but thinks that "You got to marry these girls when they are about 15 or 16. They'll pick your ducks. You need to check with mom and dad about that, of course." As for Church rules on marriage in your mid-teens, I would say that you have to jump through hurdles getting a Church wedding as an adult. Getting married in your teens has to be harder. Here in Chicago, back in the 1970s, a teen girl got married whilst attending a Catholic girls high school. They expelled her. Why? I don't know. But that's what they did. The teen's parents lodged a protest. I don't know what happened after that. Anyway, I would like politely beseech wizards to stay on the topic of the thread. Jim party
Jan 01 new

I've never been able to get any traction on this issue. Maybe this time, we can get a discussion going. James

-------------------------

James, you may want a discussion, but there is not much to say. The Government is
taking away our rights, as they do with lots of other things. They enforce what they
want to, and vice versa.

On the news they reported that Google and many other web companies, who hoard
and then utilize private information for their own selfish reason, have been asking
the US Government to stop spying. The news thought it was kind of ironic.

One point that was made by Judges was that when one is in public, there should
not be an expectation of privacy. Maybe that statement is being carried out to
apply to a very broad set of standards, like phones and the internet.

It is just one more instance where the Government does what it wants to do and
it diminishes our rights as US Citizens. And God knows how many precious lives
over the centuries, fought to give Americans their freedoms and rights.

Jan 04 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said:

I've never been able to get any traction on this issue. Maybe this time, we can get a discussion going. James

-------------------------

James, you may want a discussion, but there is not much to say. The Government is
taking away our rights, as they do with lots of other things. They enforce what they
want to, and vice versa.

On the news they reported that Google and many other web companies, who hoard
and then utilize private information for their own selfish reason, have been asking
the US Government to stop spying. The news thought it was kind of ironic.

One point that was made by Judges was that when one is in public, there should
not be an expectation of privacy. Maybe that statement is being carried out to
apply to a very broad set of standards, like phones and the internet.

It is just one more instance where the Government does what it wants to do and
it diminishes our rights as US Citizens. And God knows how many precious lives
over the centuries, fought to give Americans their freedoms and rights.

Hi Marianne et alia,

I hope you and the other wizards will forgive my absence. Migraines are hell.

I respectfully disagree with you. I think there is a lot to say. Back in the 1870s, New York City was basically run by a group of men in an organization called Tammany Hall. Tammany Hall was the Democratic organization of New York City. And the head of Tammany Hall was William "Boss" Tweed. It's estimated that Tweed and Tammany ripped off the taxpayer to the tune of between $1,000,000,000 and $7,000,000,000, a fabulous sum in 1871. By comparison, the United States bought Alaska from Russia for $7,200,000.

An implacable foe of Nast was Thomas Nast. in 1871, he published what arguably might be the most poignant cartoons in American History. I'd post it here, but I'm foiled by the changes in the editor. If you look at my profile, you will see the Thomas Nast cartoon of the Tammany Tiger shredding Colombia, with her sword and shield broken.

Just because a bunch of 18th Century dead white men wrote our rights on a pieces of hemp, does not mean they are cast in stone. We must constantly remain diligent, lest our rights disappear before our eyes. How easy it can happen that our rights disappear. We have Senator Lindsey Graham on Fox News saying, in effect, "Hey man, go ahead and look at my records, I've got nothing to hide." Even for Lindsey Graham, this is a breathtakingly asinine statement.

Author and lawyer James Bamford, the author of the NSA books the Puzzle Palace and Body of Secrets, compares Obama spying On allL Americans To East Germany During The Cold War. It is incredible that most Americans are so nonchalant about this. I don't understand this. Mention anything about keeping guns out the hands of felons and doing background checks, and people go ballistic. But hey, you can have all my information, including the times I ordered out for pizza and those naughty 1.900 calls I made.

No, you can't. Not if I can help it. I don't call 1.900 phone sex lines, but that is nobody's business. This is not East Germany, and none of us should stand by and watch the security apparatus of the United States turn into the Stasi. There's a famous line from the movie Sneakers, and here it is: "The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little ones and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons." I've worked on and off with computers for 30 years. How true it is.

Senator Saxby Chambliss said that "I haven't heard one complaint about the spying." Yes, that's because few of us knew the extent of it. So write your senators and congressmen. Speak up. Let them know that if they don't fix this, they may be out of work the next election.

Some wizards might have wondered why I brought up that guy with the beard, and that show, whatever it is. I did that to put matters in perspective. It's a matter of triage. This spying is like a cancer which is metastasizing. We need to get upset about this. I'm starting to notice that the definition of "terrorist" is rather fluid. What are we going to do if some limousine liberal in a high post decodes that pro-life groups are "terrorists"?

James ☺
Jan 04 new
(quote) James-17080 said: Hi Marianne et alia,

I hope you and the other wizards will forgive my absence. Migraines are hell.

I respectfully disagree with you. I think there is a lot to say. Back in the 1870s, New York City was basically run by a group of men in an organization called Tammany Hall. Tammany Hall was the Democratic organization of New York City. And the head of Tammany Hall was William "Boss" Tweed. It's estimated that Tweed and Tammany ripped off the taxpayer to the tune of between $1,000,000,000 and $7,000,000,000, a fabulous sum in 1871. By comparison, the United States bought Alaska from Russia for $7,200,000.

An implacable foe of Nast was Thomas Nast. in 1871, he published what arguably might be the most poignant cartoons in American History. I'd post it here, but I'm foiled by the changes in the editor. If you look at my profile, you will see the Thomas Nast cartoon of the Tammany Tiger shredding Colombia, with her sword and shield broken.

Just because a bunch of 18th Century dead white men wrote our rights on a pieces of hemp, does not mean they are cast in stone. We must constantly remain diligent, lest our rights disappear before our eyes. How easy it can happen that our rights disappear. We have Senator Lindsey Graham on Fox News saying, in effect, "Hey man, go ahead and look at my records, I've got nothing to hide." Even for Lindsey Graham, this is a breathtakingly asinine statement.

Author and lawyer James Bamford, the author of the NSA books the Puzzle Palace and Body of Secrets, compares Obama spying On allL Americans To East Germany During The Cold War. It is incredible that most Americans are so nonchalant about this. I don't understand this. Mention anything about keeping guns out the hands of felons and doing background checks, and people go ballistic. But hey, you can have all my information, including the times I ordered out for pizza and those naughty 1.900 calls I made.

No, you can't. Not if I can help it. I don't call 1.900 phone sex lines, but that is nobody's business. This is not East Germany, and none of us should stand by and watch the security apparatus of the United States turn into the Stasi. There's a famous line from the movie Sneakers, and here it is: "The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little ones and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons." I've worked on and off with computers for 30 years. How true it is.

Senator Saxby Chambliss said that "I haven't heard one complaint about the spying." Yes, that's because few of us knew the extent of it. So write your senators and congressmen. Speak up. Let them know that if they don't fix this, they may be out of work the next election.

Some wizards might have wondered why I brought up that guy with the beard, and that show, whatever it is. I did that to put matters in perspective. It's a matter of triage. This spying is like a cancer which is metastasizing. We need to get upset about this. I'm starting to notice that the definition of "terrorist" is rather fluid. What are we going to do if some limousine liberal in a high post decodes that pro-life groups are "terrorists"?

James ☺
Hi James,

" What are we going to do...."

First, elect a congresscritter with an intact spine. Use Alinsky tactics : for the short term, as distasteful as it is, make politics personal. Pick a topic and make it part of daily interactions/conversations. Just a phrase ridiculing the current program can be more effective than a Cray full of reasoned arguments. Find 10 people that you see/talk to daily or weekly who aren't "true believers ". For the next ten months have a humorous comment on the news for them. Each person will potentially respond to a different thread being broken from the official narrative. Remember, in the current system, an opposition voter who can be made to question far enough to pass on the election ( those who stayed home in 2012 for example ) lower the threshold for your own side. These over time may become supporters of your preferred group.

Even if your district/state seems to be horribly numerically unfavorable, keep at it, in 2008 and 2012 many races were decided by a couple votes per precinct.

Second, esp. in states / districts that seem locked for the opposition, tell your conngresscritter you are watching, and that your potential vote depends on specific items. Let him / her hear footsteps : tell her / him that you expect to see a public pronouncement on these items, and that failing such statement, you will actively proselytize for his / her opponent. Mention how many relatives / friends with whom you will be in contact as the election approaches.

Third, tell all your friends / family / networks to do likewise.

Some look at polling data and conclude that the current order is finished, and that a majority of voters are just waiting for a " good reason " to bail ( RR vs. JC 1980 )

Give them the " good reason ", or " ....if you build the stadium.... "

And of course, as the old 60's stencilled slogans said : " Resist, now more than ever ! "
Posts 1 - 10 of 31