Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for those who have lost a spouse and need support or who can provide support to those who have.

Saint Paula is the patron saint of widows and Saint Stephen is the patron saint of deacons
Learn More: Saint Stephen and Saint Paula

The Church in her Widowhood

Jan 1st 2014 new

"Peace and joy, Pope Francis repeated. This joy, he said, is contained in Jesus dogmatic declaration: you have decided to reveal yourself not to the wise but to the little ones. Even in so many serious things, Jesus is joyful, the Church is joyful. She must be joyful. Even in her widowhood the Church is joyful in hope. Let us pray, Pope Francis concluded, that the Lord might give us all this joy."

I just read this in our bulletin. I have never thought of the church as widowed, yet she is. How does her journey compare to ours? There certainly have been times of struggle, of pain and loss, and aside from that, hope and joy.

There was a time after my husband's death, during adoration I was reflecting on the stations of the cross when I felt the warm rush of the Holy Spirit and I knew then that God totally understood my pain, my fear and my loss. It was a defining moment in my healing. I knew I would never be alone. It came from God, in his widowed church.

What enlightenment have you received through your loss? Has it given you hope for joy?

Jan 24th 2014 new
it has been closures and drawn to be faithful hug Praying theheart rosary rose rose rose
Jul 18th new
Thanks for sharing this beautiful image, Kathy...
The other image I've appreciated since my widowhood is that of Mary, beautifully captured by Michael McGrath as a middle aged woman with a teen aged son probably sweeping out the house to find that lost coin....

Jul 19th new
(quote) Ruthann-579700 said: Thanks for sharing this beautiful image, Kathy...
The other image I've appreciated since my widowhood is that of Mary, beautifully captured by Michael McGrath as a middle aged woman with a teen aged son probably sweeping out the house to find that lost coin....

How true, Ruthann.

I've been behind the broom many times in the past several years! Thank you for directing me to the artwork of Michael McGrath. I found it very intriguing.
Jul 19th new
(quote) Kathy-635104 said:

"Peace and joy, Pope Francis repeated. This joy, he said, is contained in Jesus dogmatic declaration: you have decided to reveal yourself not to the wise but to the little ones. Even in so many serious things, Jesus is joyful, the Church is joyful. She must be joyful. Even in her widowhood the Church is joyful in hope. Let us pray, Pope Francis concluded, that the Lord might give us all this joy."

I just read this in our bulletin. I have never thought of the church as widowed, yet she is. How does her journey compare to ours? There certainly have been times of struggle, of pain and loss, and aside from that, hope and joy.

There was a time after my husband's death, during adoration I was reflecting on the stations of the cross when I felt the warm rush of the Holy Spirit and I knew then that God totally understood my pain, my fear and my loss. It was a defining moment in my healing. I knew I would never be alone. It came from God, in his widowed church.

What enlightenment have you received through your loss? Has it given you hope for joy?

I too, Kathy, have received a "gift" from the Holy Spirit after Bob's passing.

I was in church on Good Friday, (the day before my confirmation and 6 mos, after Bob's death) and was kneeling and praying after the Veneration of the cross. I was so grief stricken and sobbing my heart out. I was also concerned that I wouldn't be able to get through the Easter Vigil and my confirmation without making a complete fool of myself by sobbing in front of the whole assembly, as I had yet to attend mass without crying.

Anyhow, as I was crying and trying to pray, I finally gave up and turned my hands upward and told our Lord......I can't do this anymore. I'm turning this over to you. I just quit praying and continued to cry with my hands turned upward. At some point I looked up (through the tears) toward the Altar, and there stood Jesus with his hands stretched out toward me. He told me to dry my eyes as Bob was safe with him and had arrived. I know this as sure as I know my own name is Linda, that the Holy Spirit was truly present and with me on that Good Friday. I felt the burden lifted from my shoulders at that very moment. A peace and calmness washed over me.

The next night at Easter Vigil I was confirmed and did not shed a tear, for I knew Bob and our good Lord were both present with me.
Jul 19th new
wave Linda that was truly a beautiful experience. Thank you for sharing!
Jul 19th new
(quote) Linda-624584 said: I too, Kathy, have received a "gift" from the Holy Spirit after Bob's passing.

I was in church on Good Friday, (the day before my confirmation and 6 mos, after Bob's death) and was kneeling and praying after the Veneration of the cross. I was so grief stricken and sobbing my heart out. I was also concerned that I wouldn't be able to get through the Easter Vigil and my confirmation without making a complete fool of myself by sobbing in front of the whole assembly, as I had yet to attend mass without crying.

Anyhow, as I was crying and trying to pray, I finally gave up and turned my hands upward and told our Lord......I can't do this anymore. I'm turning this over to you. I just quit praying and continued to cry with my hands turned upward. At some point I looked up (through the tears) toward the Altar, and there stood Jesus with his hands stretched out toward me. He told me to dry my eyes as Bob was safe with him and had arrived. I know this as sure as I know my own name is Linda, that the Holy Spirit was truly present and with me on that Good Friday. I felt the burden lifted from my shoulders at that very moment. A peace and calmness washed over me.

The next night at Easter Vigil I was confirmed and did not shed a tear, for I knew Bob and our good Lord were both present with me.
Linda,

Thank you for sharing this. It is truly beautiful. I met a widow last year just before she went through RCIA. She felt the same way and cried through every mass and worried about crying all through her confirmation. She did and when I hugged her afterwards, it was with the understanding that her husband was near and would have shared her tears of joy.

What a great gift to have received your vision. I know God speaks to is in so many incredible ways to calm our hearts and ease our way. May He continue to bless you as you go through this process
Posts 1 - 7 of 7