Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

I base the fact the Pope is a Socialist because HE SAID SO FROM HIS OWN MOUTH, he is a Jesuit Priest and gave the reason for not living in the ArchBishops palace in Buenos Aries as it was elitist and cut him off from the people of his diocese.
I think the American responders, who will attack me as usual and call me all names possible, should first learn the difference between Socialism the equality of resourses for all needs and Communism the Tea Party off the Left wing.
The Free Market System is not made by the True Church but a development of te Puritain ForeFathers of America.
You should also recognise the majprity of the Worls are Socialist Governments but the majority of the worlds Governments ARE NOT COMMUNIST or FASCIST if you are a Tea Party member.
Oh moderator dont defend me, you never do and never agree, just be civil or at least see the others are comparitively civil, after all I dont want another Reformation. Let the joust commence
Jan 05 new
(quote) Patrick-624504 said: I base the fact the Pope is a Socialist because HE SAID SO FROM HIS OWN MOUTH, he is a Jesuit Priest and gave the reason for not living in the ArchBishops palace in Buenos Aries as it was elitist and cut him off from the people of his diocese.
I think the American responders, who will attack me as usual and call me all names possible, should first learn the difference between Socialism the equality of resourses for all needs and Communism the Tea Party off the Left wing.
The Free Market System is not made by the True Church but a development of te Puritain ForeFathers of America.
You should also recognise the majprity of the Worls are Socialist Governments but the majority of the worlds Governments ARE NOT COMMUNIST or FASCIST if you are a Tea Party member.
Oh moderator dont defend me, you never do and never agree, just be civil or at least see the others are comparitively civil, after all I dont want another Reformation. Let the joust commence
How does what he says make him a socialist?

Among socialists there are elitists. IN fact, the most vocal socialist group are college professors, the most elitist people in the world.We are all plebeians compared to them. We are the great unwashed that only they can teach. and for an absolute fact they know better what is good for us then we do, even though they never apply those same rules to themselves.

As a group, the elites of socialism all suck at the public teat, absorbing tax dollars taken from the great unwashed, whom they are working their tales off for, and wasting those on their better than average salaries and wasteful programs.

Pope Francis is nothing like them. So I come back to my question: How does what he said make him a socialist?
Jan 05 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: How does what he says make him a socialist?

Among socialists there are elitists. IN fact, the most vocal socialist group are college professors, the most elitist people in the world.We are all plebeians compared to them. We are the great unwashed that only they can teach. and for an absolute fact they know better what is good for us then we do, even though they never apply those same rules to themselves.

As a group, the elites of socialism all suck at the public teat, absorbing tax dollars taken from the great unwashed, whom they are working their tales off for, and wasting those on their better than average salaries and wasteful programs.

Pope Francis is nothing like them. So I come back to my question: How does what he said make him a socialist?
Hi Patrick and Paul,

Good morning :-)

At least 3 people on Fox News, the source of information for all too many CM, really does not like what Francis is saying:

mediamatters.org

Those of us who live in the real world know that just because three knuckleheads of Fox say something, that does not make it true. But these guys are not entirely clueless. They know that the faith people have in the current economic system is shaky at best. For the Pope to come along and attack that system is a real threat. They have this binary way of thinking whereby "if you are not with us, you are against us". This is a textbook case of a false dichotomy.

If you're curious about the Pope's socialist leanings, perhaps you should contact Rush Limbaugh. But before you do, read this:

mediamatters.org

You write "among socialists there are elites". Bill Maher, on his show Real Time With Bill Maher, talked about this. Paraphrasing, he said "When I'm ill, I want to go to an elite doctor. For education, I want to go to an elite university. If I need surgery, I want an elite surgeon. But amongst conservatives, "elite" is b∙a∙d. So unless you're a dirt farmer from Kansas, you're with the terrorists".

Yes, I suppose there are elitists on the left who practice the maxim "do as I say and not as I do". Do you believe that practice is limited to socialists who are elitists? If you do, keep in mind Rush Limbaugh's drug addiction and problems with the law. The only reason the case was not prosecuted is that Limbaugh paid out $35,000. Now that is elite treatment.

What "wasteful programs" do you suggest cutting?

James ☺
Jan 05 new
(quote) Patrick-624504 said: I base the fact the Pope is a Socialist because HE SAID SO FROM HIS OWN MOUTH, he is a Jesuit Priest and gave the reason for not living in the ArchBishops palace in Buenos Aries as it was elitist and cut him off from the people of his diocese.
I think the American responders, who will attack me as usual and call me all names possible, should first learn the difference between Socialism the equality of resourses for all needs and Communism the Tea Party off the Left wing.
The Free Market System is not made by the True Church but a development of te Puritain ForeFathers of America.
You should also recognise the majprity of the Worls are Socialist Governments but the majority of the worlds Governments ARE NOT COMMUNIST or FASCIST if you are a Tea Party member.
Oh moderator dont defend me, you never do and never agree, just be civil or at least see the others are comparitively civil, after all I dont want another Reformation. Let the joust commence
Hi Patrick and Paul,

I've been away too long. Please forgive some grammatical errors.

James ☺
Jan 05 new
(quote) James-17080 said: Hi Patrick and Paul,

Good morning :-)

At least 3 people on Fox News, the source of information for all too many CM, really does not like what Francis is saying:

http://mediamatters.org/video/2013/12/03/foxs-varney-attacks-pope-francis-comments-on-in/197108

Those of us who live in the real world know that just because three knuckleheads of Fox say something, that does not make it true. But these guys are not entirely clueless. They know that the faith people have in the current economic system is shaky at best. For the Pope to come along and attack that system is a real threat. They have this binary way of thinking whereby "if you are not with us, you are against us". This is a textbook case of a false dichotomy.

If you're curious about the Pope's socialist leanings, perhaps you should contact Rush Limbaugh. But before you do, read this:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/12/15/pope-francis-rebukes-marxist-attack-from-rush-l/197273

You write "among socialists there are elites". Bill Maher, on his show Real Time With Bill Maher, talked about this. Paraphrasing, he said "When I'm ill, I want to go to an elite doctor. For education, I want to go to an elite university. If I need surgery, I want an elite surgeon. But amongst conservatives, "elite" is b∙a∙d. So unless you're a dirt farmer from Kansas, you're with the terrorists".

Yes, I suppose there are elitists on the left who practice the maxim "do as I say and not as I do". Do you believe that practice is limited to socialists who are elitists? If you do, keep in mind Rush Limbaugh's drug addiction and problems with the law. The only reason the case was not prosecuted is that Limbaugh paid out $35,000. Now that is elite treatment.

What "wasteful programs" do you suggest cutting?

James ☺
First off a program to cut Federal Payrolls by 10% a year for the next 3 years would make a wonderful start. Then require all future pay raises for civil servents to be strictly on a merit bases and not automatic pay raises if they did not screw up royally. and managed to just stay on the job for another year. In fact, just freezing all pay for Federal workers until the pay in the private sector for similar jobs catches up. And by pay rate I mean including all bennies. Cut out all cost of living increases which is just a way of solidifying inflation.

Then we can save a lot by walking away from the nonsense "alternative energy' subsidies.Knock out the "carbon credit" program.

Restore sanity in some other "energy" related programs like getting rid of the good ole light bulb and force people to use the far more dangerous to the environment fluorescent bulbs. Oh yes the silly electric cars that may save us from the horrors of all those smog inducing chemicals but cost more money for battery replacement as well as providing a future source of even more dangerous ground water pollution garbage.

A few billion can be saved if we stop all the nonsense spending on "man-made" global warming projects. The lessons that are there from the computer millennium problem are there to be learned. Billions in Federal and private money wasted on complete silliness.

Getting the Feds out of education and health care will save even more billions both in tax money and unnecessary private spending generated thereby. At the same time we could actually see real improvement in both education and health care.

Oh a mere few millions could be saved by requiring Presidents to pay for their own and family vacations. And when I saw pay their own I mean including all costs.

That's just a beginning.

BY the way, I am not saying elitists don't exist in any other political or economic system. I was merely trying to show that the basis that was being used to brand Francis a socialist just don't prove what was stated to be the case.

A person is not a socialist because they are concerned for the poor or because they eschew privileges for themselves. Nor is someone a socialist just because they say that the basic necessities of life should be available to all. Nor is one a socialist for saying a rich man should do more for the poor.


Jan 05 new
(quote) James-17080 said: Hi Patrick and Paul,

Good morning :-)

At least 3 people on Fox News, the source of information for all too many CM, really does not like what Francis is saying:

http://mediamatters.org/video/2013/12/03/foxs-varney-attacks-pope-francis-comments-on-in/197108

Those of us who live in the real world know that just because three knuckleheads of Fox say something, that does not make it true. But these guys are not entirely clueless. They know that the faith people have in the current economic system is shaky at best. For the Pope to come along and attack that system is a real threat. They have this binary way of thinking whereby "if you are not with us, you are against us". This is a textbook case of a false dichotomy.

If you're curious about the Pope's socialist leanings, perhaps you should contact Rush Limbaugh. But before you do, read this:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/12/15/pope-francis-rebukes-marxist-attack-from-rush-l/197273

You write "among socialists there are elites". Bill Maher, on his show Real Time With Bill Maher, talked about this. Paraphrasing, he said "When I'm ill, I want to go to an elite doctor. For education, I want to go to an elite university. If I need surgery, I want an elite surgeon. But amongst conservatives, "elite" is b∙a∙d. So unless you're a dirt farmer from Kansas, you're with the terrorists".

Yes, I suppose there are elitists on the left who practice the maxim "do as I say and not as I do". Do you believe that practice is limited to socialists who are elitists? If you do, keep in mind Rush Limbaugh's drug addiction and problems with the law. The only reason the case was not prosecuted is that Limbaugh paid out $35,000. Now that is elite treatment.

What "wasteful programs" do you suggest cutting?

James ☺
It is disturbing to see how many flock to that news beacon known as "Fox News". Fox's loyalty is to the republican party, not to the Church. Yet for all their "outrage", isn't it interesting that their owner/boss(Rupert Murdoch) is a big time supporter of gun control? That's why when I see people hailing Fox as "fighting the good fight", I burst out laughing. World Net Daily and Infowars are much better, and have more integrity.
Jan 05 new
Psst, Fox News losing rating amongst young people:

www.newshounds.us

www.politicususa.com.

Jan 05 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: First off a program to cut Federal Payrolls by 10% a year for the next 3 years would make a wonderful start. Then require all future pay raises for civil servents to be strictly on a merit bases and not automatic pay raises if they did not screw up royally. and managed to just stay on the job for another year. In fact, just freezing all pay for Federal workers until the pay in the private sector for similar jobs catches up. And by pay rate I mean including all bennies. Cut out all cost of living increases which is just a way of solidifying inflation.

Then we can save a lot by walking away from the nonsense "alternative energy' subsidies.Knock out the "carbon credit" program.

Restore sanity in some other "energy" related programs like getting rid of the good ole light bulb and force people to use the far more dangerous to the environment fluorescent bulbs. Oh yes the silly electric cars that may save us from the horrors of all those smog inducing chemicals but cost more money for battery replacement as well as providing a future source of even more dangerous ground water pollution garbage.

A few billion can be saved if we stop all the nonsense spending on "man-made" global warming projects. The lessons that are there from the computer millennium problem are there to be learned. Billions in Federal and private money wasted on complete silliness.

Getting the Feds out of education and health care will save even more billions both in tax money and unnecessary private spending generated thereby. At the same time we could actually see real improvement in both education and health care.

Oh a mere few millions could be saved by requiring Presidents to pay for their own and family vacations. And when I saw pay their own I mean including all costs.

That's just a beginning.

BY the way, I am not saying elitists don't exist in any other political or economic system. I was merely trying to show that the basis that was being used to brand Francis a socialist just don't prove what was stated to be the case.

A person is not a socialist because they are concerned for the poor or because they eschew privileges for themselves. Nor is someone a socialist just because they say that the basic necessities of life should be available to all. Nor is one a socialist for saying a rich man should do more for the poor.


Hi Paul et alia,

You wish to cut payrolls by about 27% by 2017. How would you do it? Who would you cut? You do understand that you would be putting roughly 73,500 people out of work, right?

I have a suggestion. Let us get out of Afghanistan. And let us stop being the world's policeman. We can't do it. Sometimes you have to fold and cut your losses to protect yourself. I'm not saying we should become appeasers or give in to creepy dictators like Kim Jong Un. But we can't engage in another Iraq, and Osama is dead. Let us get out.

Maybe pay for Congressmen should be on a merit basis. Considering that Congress's approval rating is 9%, lower than the Communist Party(!!) in some polls, this might be a good idea.

Saving energy is a good idea, The big energy hog in my home is my computer. I got rid of the tungsten bulbs, and replaced them with the fluorescent ones, and saved money. I don't know enough about electric cars to comment on them.

Despite the chilly winter, GW is real. I have books dating back to 1954, saying the planet is warming. And the computer millennium problem was quite real, and could have caused a mess if not fixed. Why so? Data bases and programs were originally designed to handle dates in a mmddyy format. Back in the early days of computing, space on hard drives was at a premium, and systems analysts had to make do (this is when a "large" hard drive had a capacity of 10 megabytes, and was as large as a refrigerator.) Time passed on, until someone in the 1980s noticed that the year 2000 was less than 20 years away, and billions of lines of code had been written, with dates still programmed as mmddyy. On the last day of 1999, 12/31/99 would become 01/01/00. Centenarians would find themselves newborn, sort sequences would be wrong (commercial computers spend most of their time sorting), and so on. It had to be fixed.

You want the Feds out of health care? As a 77 year old man, do you really not take advantage of Medicare? You collect Social Security, right?

I agree with your last paragraph.

James ☺
Jan 05 new
A Priest in my parish once quoted a Brazilian Bishop as saying "When I distribute food to the poor in Brazil, I am called a saint. When I ask why there are poor people in Brazil, I am called a communist."

Pope Francis is not socialist, as socialism is defined by Karl Marx. He is socialist as defined by Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, and other Unbridled Capitalism aficionados. If Pope Francis is socialist then so was Pope Leo XIII, and before you agree with that, read Leo XIII's encyclical Rerum Novarum, where he tears both socialism and unbridled capitalism to shreds.

If one cannot distinguish where the line is between socialism and social justice (the former red sand, the other gold sand), then it is wise not to go too close to the red sand, hence the pro-capitalism stances of JPII, and Benedict XVI. But, if you can distinguish where the line is, as Leo XIII could, and Francis can, then you should go as far to the left as you can without crossing the line.
Jan 05 new
Before you cut education, I have two questions:

1) Are you willing to pay parents enough to afford the tuition at private schools?

2) Why do you want to make it harder for teachers (like me) to find employment?

It is already hard enough to find employment in one of the most underpaid, under-appreciated professions in the nation. Why should we make that profession even more underpaid, under-appreciated, and harder to find work in?

When it comes to inflation, you sound like J.C. Dithers. Holding down Dagwood's salary doesn't slow inflation one iota, it only makes it harder for Dagwood to survive. If you want to curb inflation you have to freeze prices, not incomes.

The rest of your recommendations are sound, but I dare you to try to cut the pork barrel. No one who has pledged to do so has succeeded.
Posts 1 - 10 of 138