Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

I am praying as I am starting to write my column here at CM. My friend, always say 'if God's Will' at the end of our conversation. It was irritating at times, nit that I am anti-christ or what. But it was a form of a tease that I don't get an answer. Imagine if we are going to meet, and the other will say if God's will'. Lol...it isn't a holy Word of God but a teasing guy that likes to annoy you!
Jan 8th 2014 new
(quote) Roselle-937050 said: I am praying as I am starting to write my column here at CM. My friend, always say 'if God's Will' at the end of our conversation. It was irritating at times, nit that I am anti-christ or what. But it was a form of a tease that I don't get an answer. Imagine if we are going to meet, and the other will say if God's will'. Lol...it isn't a holy Word of God but a teasing guy that likes to annoy you!
The article I link to below contains some writings of St. Francis de Sales on determining God's will.

www.goodcatholicbooks.org

If you search the Internet for ["discerning God's will"] you will get many hits; Be careful, as much of this is just personal opinion, and anyone can create a blog and publish anything they want for free. One reason God gives us the canonized saints through the Church is so we have role models to follow in areas such as this; it is best to seek out and follow the advice of the saints.



Jan 8th 2014 new
I believe that God's will is only one: 'For all of us to go back to Him and internalize to be God's children' But Saying 'if God's Will' has been accepted in many cultures for centuries that it confuses or blurrs the true meaning of it. That it turned out to be like an offering of all our troubles, all our woes, all the misgivings and tragedies that we encounter. But is it right to say that it is' God's Will'? I do offer to God all my problems, but when He doesn't answer my prayers. I do say that it was His Will before and even there is bitterness in my heart...i pray to understand. Until one day I woke up and realized, it was never God's Will. Things happen as consequences, resultinh from wrong decisions, laziness or risky behavior on my part or by another person. See God is no part of evil doing...He will never allow it....but we (man) do let evil come to us. We are part of everything that happens to us. God gave us intelligence to know and think what is right...He gave us the body to be able to do what we need to do and be his instrument...He gave us free will to choose and decide... So for my friend who cannot decide for himself, who depends on God's sign, who is lazy to do actions to achieve his dreams, and who thinks by doing so he becomes holy....better think twice...
Jan 8th 2014 new
(quote) Roselle-937050 said: I believe that God's will is only one: 'For all of us to go back to Him and internalize to be God's children' But Saying 'if God's Will' has been accepted in many cultures for centuries that it confuses or blurrs the true meaning of it. That it turned out to be like an offering of all our troubles, all our woes, all the misgivings and tragedies that we encounter. But is it right to say that it is' God's Will'? I do offer to God all my problems, but when He doesn't answer my prayers. I do say that it was His Will before and even there is bitterness in my heart...i pray to understand. Until one day I woke up and realized, it was never God's Will. Things happen as consequences, resultinh from wrong decisions, laziness or risky behavior on my part or by another person. See God is no part of evil doing...He will never allow it....but we (man) do let evil come to us. We are part of everything that happens to us. God gave us intelligence to know and think what is right...He gave us the body to be able to do what we need to do and be his instrument...He gave us free will to choose and decide... So for my friend who cannot decide for himself, who depends on God's sign, who is lazy to do actions to achieve his dreams, and who thinks by doing so he becomes holy....better think twice...
Nothing happens that is not God's will: sometimes it is His active will, more often it is His permissive will, whisch must allow for outcomes He would not actively will if humans are to have free will, Keep in mind that all suffering is not evil; in fact, suffering is necessary for our salvation: youtu.be

Your understanding of free will seems to be very seriously in error. God gave us free will so that we can decide to accept His will or reject it. However, free will is not free license to do as we please. If we do not follow our consciences -- properly formed consciences -- then there will be consequences. God does indeed expect us to actively seek out His will: through study, prayer, and sacrifice. Because of the effects of original sin, God's will may not be obvious, and sometimes it can be a struggle to discern, especially when we are not spiritually prepared to do so. We can't expect to just wake up one day ans see the truth: more often than not, such "revelations" are the work of the angels of darkness attempting to use our weaknesses to lead us astray.

God always answers our prayers, just not necessarily in the way we expect: the answer may be "yes"; or it may be "no, but here is something better" (although often we may not think it is better), or "not now". Unfortunately, all too often we use the misguided humanistic notion of free will to give lip service to God then ignore Him and go off on our own when the answer we get is not the one we want. Some decisions must be made at a specific point in time, but many do not -- we can wait; the problem is we don't want to.

Feb 17th 2014 new
(quote) Roselle-937050 said: I believe that God's will is only one: 'For all of us to go back to Him and internalize to be God's children' But Saying 'if God's Will' has been accepted in many cultures for centuries that it confuses or blurrs the true meaning of it. That it turned out to be like an offering of all our troubles, all our woes, all the misgivings and tragedies that we encounter. But is it right to say that it is' God's Will'? I do offer to God all my problems, but when He doesn't answer my prayers. I do say that it was His Will before and even there is bitterness in my heart...i pray to understand. Until one day I woke up and realized, it was never God's Will. Things happen as consequences, resultinh from wrong decisions, laziness or risky behavior on my part or by another person. See God is no part of evil doing...He will never allow it....but we (man) do let evil come to us. We are part of everything that happens to us. God gave us intelligence to know and think what is right...He gave us the body to be able to do what we need to do and be his instrument...He gave us free will to choose and decide... So for my friend who cannot decide for himself, who depends on God's sign, who is lazy to do actions to achieve his dreams, and who thinks by doing so he becomes holy....better think twice...

Can I jump in?

I dont think this post will get a lot of input, because of where its hiding, so want to offer my thoughts. So it bugs Roselle, that her friend (maybe even possible boyfriend), uses the phrase if God wills it or if its Gods will, in their conversations.

Maybe their conversations are about should we meet? Or will I get this job? Or should I have the baked potato or mashed potato. And his comment always is if God wills it. Of course, that would annoy a smart, well educated, industrious person like Roselle, who seems to be stating that the person themself, can will their own actions. That a person shouldnt just wait around, for God to make it known or obvious for them to do something or another, with a sign. ((Im OK with signs. But I once heard a priest say, if you want something and forge ahead with doing it and it works out, then the fact that you got what you wanted, IS THE SIGN from God. ((Hindsight.))

In her second post:

Things happen as consequences, resulting from wrong decisions, laziness or risky behavior on my part or by another person. See God is no part of evil doing...He will never allow it....but we (man) do let evil come to us. We are part of everything that happens to us. God gave us intelligence to know and think what is right...He gave us the body to be able to do what we need to do and be his instrument...He gave us free will to choose and decide... So for my friend who cannot decide for himself, who depends on God's sign, who is lazy to do actions to achieve his dreams, and who thinks by doing so he becomes holy....better think twice...

Im gathering that she does understand that Catholic perspective of free will and personal responsibility. That evil is the absence of good. That God is all good and God doesnt will evil, He permits it. That evil exists and that we humans, freely choose to do evil or good. Her friend, not making decisions for himself, may be mistakenly thinking hes doing the right thing, by simply doing nothing, without an obvious or miraculous sign from God and the statement if its Gods Will. Its an interesting observation by Roselle. Id be inclined to concur with her. It would be irritating to hear that sort of comment when instead, the fellow could risk making a decision on his own.

It can be rather difficult to see The Will of God. Im still trying too, most days. Yet I keep forging ahead. And if it works out, then low and behold, it was the will of God. fluffy cloud fluffy

Feb 17th 2014 new
OK all of my apostrophes are missing. Where did they go?? I do know how to use them.

Testing""""""""
testing """""""

Feb 17th 2014 new
(quote) Molly-688164 said: OK all of my apostrophes are missing. Where did they go?? I do know how to use them.

Testing""""""""
testing """""""

Missing apostrophes

Are rarely catastrophes

But "no dangling modifiers"

Is something God requires.




Feb 17th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said:

Missing apostrophes

Are rarely catastrophes

But "no dangling modifiers"

Is something God requires.




Aw, that's poetic Paul.

(I think the missing apostrophes was due to my using a Pages document to pre-write one of my posts. Which I haven't done before. I was simply using 'Pages' on my Mac, to restore my faith in spell check. Apparently, CM's spell check evades me sometimes on here.)
Mar 3rd 2014 new
(quote) Roselle-937050 said: ... always say 'if God's Will' at the end of our conversation. It was irritating at times, ....
I would find it irritating at all times.
That's when you say, "That goes without saying, and no one likes a wise guy".
Mar 3rd 2014 new
(quote) Roselle-937050 said:  ... when He doesn't answer my prayers. I do say that it was His Will before and even there is bitterness in my heart...
I believe God always answers prayers. But, as you point out, sometimes we don't like the answer.
Posts 1 - 10 of 12