Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for those who have lost a spouse and need support or who can provide support to those who have.

Saint Paula is the patron saint of widows and Saint Stephen is the patron saint of deacons
Learn More: Saint Stephen and Saint Paula

What is your spirituality in praying for your beloved spouse? Do you pray for their soul at all? If so, how often, how intently? If they received Viaticum and/or The Anointing of The Sick or were able to give a good Confession shortly before there death, do you still pray for their soul? if so, why; if not, why not.

Do you also do works of mercy for the living in reparation for any temporal punishment they may have to " work off' in purgatory to attain god's Mercy?

I am nterested to read the posts on this topic.

Bob
Jan 8th 2014 new
(quote) Bob-1048419 said: What is your spirituality in praying for your beloved spouse? Do you pray for their soul at all? If so, how often, how intently? If they received Viaticum and/or The Anointing of The Sick or were able to give a good Confession shortly before there death, do you still pray for their soul? if so, why; if not, why not.

Do you also do works of mercy for the living in reparation for any temporal punishment they may have to " work off' in purgatory to attain god's Mercy?

I am nterested to read the posts on this topic.

Bob
Bob,
I do pray for the deceased, especially my parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, and husband. Not big drawn out prayers but more of "Eternal rest grant unto them O Lord... many times throughout the day. They all received the Last Rites. For friends and acquaintances or the world's people in general I do pray for God's mercy, also. These prayers may be longer and just as fervent. My elementary Catholic education set in my heart and soul and mind the Purgatory state for most of us. So, I'm acutely aware that my spouse and loved ones most likely aren't in heaven--yet. Or if they are, they "did time" in Purgatory. I have Masses said on their birthdays and other important dates--20+ each year.

In the ambulance on the way to the ECU, I prayed the Divine Mercy Chaplet, Act of Contrition, Our Father, and many ejaculations--both for his recovery and for his eternal soul.

I, myself, don't think that I will go straight to heaven. Though I do penance here on earth and have had more than my share of hardships, trials,sorrowful times, I see time in purgatory for me. I hope that my children will pray for my soul.

Works of mercy performed to "work off" purgatory or attain God's mercy? Well, again, from childhood it was instilled in me and I continue to practice the Corporal and Spiritual works of Mercy. Not consciously for me or my loved ones, but for the greater honor and glory of God.

Interesting OP.
Chris
Jan 9th 2014 new

Frankly, I don't pray for my husband or my parents -- because all of them died after receiving the last services of the Church. I trust they are in good hands.

However, I pray for those who have no one to pray for them -- particularly perpetrators of crimes I read about in the newspapers.

Jan 9th 2014 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said:

Frankly, I don't pray for my husband or my parents -- because all of them died after receiving the last services of the Church. I trust they are in good hands.

However, I pray for those who have no one to pray for them -- particularly perpetrators of crimes I read about in the newspapers.

There are several reasons we should pray for our loved ones when they are near or after their death, even when we think there is no need:

Unfortunately, in modern times many priests do not include the Apostolic Pardon, a plenary indulgence that remits temporal punishment after death, when they administer Anointing of the Sick. The Apostolic Parson is a separate blessing; it is not part of the administration of the sacrament.

Anointing of the Sick is not a magic "get out of hell free" card: the person receiving the sacrament must be properly disposed when they were last able. If a person is obstinately unrepentant of a mortal sin as they approach death, the absolution granted with the Anointing will not be valid, the same as with the sacrament of Penance. This is why it is important to pray throughout life for the grace of final perseverance and that we specifically request the Apostolic Pardon along with Anointing of the Sick,

It is generally held that prayers can be applied retroactively as long as we are not praying for a change to an outcome that is known to us.

Finally, prayers are never wasted. If we pray for the repose of a soul that cannot be helped by the prayers, they will be applied to another soul that does need them.

Jan 17th 2014 new
I asked for the apostolic pardon for my husband, and he received viaticum and last rites. He was also baptized in the hospital. So, I believe he is in Heaven, but I have many masses said for him anyhow..
Jan 17th 2014 new
I continue to pray for my deceased husband Mike, who would have been 49 yesterday (1/16). I pray that he is praying of me and our daughters!! I hope his fingers are worn to the bone by the time I get to heaven from all the rosaries he has said for us! rosary
Jan 18th 2014 new
I've had several masses intentions said for my husband since his death and pray for him at nearly every mass as the deceased are mentioned in the prayers of the faithful. I do still think of him often and many of my conversations with God include him. I have a sense he is in already in heaven though he made many mistakes on this earth, as have I. Early on I asked for signs that he was and I have been given those signs. May all our loved ones that have gone before us go live forever in the light of Christ.
Apr 23rd 2014 new
I also pray for my wife and wonder if I am doing any good..I am afraid to ask for a sign thinking that would be putting him to the test...But I sure would like a sign... How did you ask if it isn't to personal..
hope to hear from you Ed
Posts 1 - 8 of 8