Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

occupations

Jan 08 new

once upon a time I wanted to be a professional photographer but without training that job flew out the window along with many other ideas.

Today, I had a lovely chat with my computer repair guy on this subject. He told me he always wanted to be a photographer but, like me, didn't have the training. His good friend who was a professional photographer asked him to help him with a photo shoot of a wedding. Danny told me he didn't go at the last minute simply because he chickened out. He has always regretted his decision not to go. The what ifs and what could have been bother him to this day. I told him that God had other plans for him that day. He even said that there was a possibility that the shop would have gone under leaving him w/o a job. His friend still has that studio though so that really bothers him.

I told him what my mother used to tell my brothers when they asked her for advice on jobs. She would say, if I had a crystal ball then I could tell you exactly which job to take. Take the job you like the best then see how it goes.

He is very successful with his computer repair shop. He's been in the same location for 22 years! I hope he knows how successful his is.

is there any dream job that you wished you had pursued?

Jan 09 new

Connie....no need to give up your interests and goals. You can build skills with all types of training. Adult evening classes...local colleges...contacts from the local photo store....books...dvd video programs and even, on-line educational tools and programs.....

You'll be surprised to find how well you can progress. Good luck.

Jan 09 new

I never "wanted" to be anything in particular, but I did plan to be a college professor. Life got in the way.

Re: choosing. Back in the 1920s my father and his brother were both looking for work. One day two letters with job offers arrived for Dad from employers he'd contacted. His mother handed one to him and the other to his brother. Dad spent the rest of his life in the advertising field and Harold in real estate, because those were the jobs their mom randomly handed them.

Jan 09 new
(quote) Joan-939568 said:

Connie....no need to give up your interests and goals. You can build skills with all types of training. Adult evening classes...local colleges...contacts from the local photo store....books...dvd video programs and even, on-line educational tools and programs.....

You'll be surprised to find how well you can progress. Good luck.

Hi,

I asked Danny if people ask him to let them learn his field from helping him. He said all the time. He doesn't have room for anyone in his small workshop. I always wanted to ask a photographer for that favor but nevever got my nerve up to follow thru. I am returning to college soon so will take classes that interest me. I haven't given up on my dreams. Always thinking about my future
Jan 09 new

I work my dream job each day. I am a horsemanship coach (along with the coaching, I write books on horse training, sell a product I invented for horses and of course teach people how to ride and horses how to be ridden).

I do work as a scientist during the week as well to pay the bills since the age old answer to "How do you make a small fortune in horses?" is answered with "Start with a large fortune". I enjoy being a scientist but my dream was/is being a horsemanship coach and I made sure 8 years ago to make the dream happen and to this day I keep it alive.

Jan 09 new
A story my high school physics teacher told the class back ca. 2001: after graduating from college with degree, he applied to multiple jobs, one was with a trucking company and another was with the school district he ended up with, that is mine.

He never heard back from the trucking company, so he interviewed for the teaching position. As far as I know, he has been there ever since.
Jan 09 new
I have a degree in ghaphic design... but worked on marketing most of my life... 2 years ago I was invited to work as a fundraiser an this is te job of my life! I totally love it!
Jan 09 new

I've always loved to write and imagined writing for a newspaper. In high school, my mom had met the owner of a local paper and told him about me. He said to give him a call. I never did. I went on to study journalism in college and didn't think it was for me. I got into small business work instead and that's where I am now. I get to write a lot of the marketing material our company uses and design many of the forms and handouts. It's one of my favorite parts of the job. I still always have a book idea rumbling around in my head, but one of my happiest moments was having an article written in a grief magazine that was picked up by several others.

P. S. My daughter landed a job as an intern writer for our county newspaper this year. She's still in high school and the editor has taken her on as his prodigy.I don't know who was more excited, me or her!

Jan 09 new
Well, not sure if this counts or not since I am pursuing it now, but my dream job is to be able to write fiction full-time. The odds of being successful enough that you can do that are pretty much on par with winning the lottery, but that won't stop me from pursuing it anyway :)
Jan 10 new
I'm actually pretty happy with where I am now. I used to want to be in the military but given recent health issues, probably wouldn't have been the best slot for me.

Posts 1 - 10 of 48