Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

I believe we are the greatest country the World will ever know because we were the Colony of a Non-Catholic country, Great Britain , and not the Colony of a Catholic country such as Spain.

I believe if we were the Colony of a Catholic country, we would be a theocracy that would not tolerate people not Catholic , and the Pope would be the de facto "ruler' of our nation.

The Founding Fathers , who were the greatest political thinkers the World has ever seen , men fully committed to human freedom and dignity , were without exception Anglo-Saxons who were British expatriates , and the governance of Britain at the time of the American Revolution was far superior to every other country in the World , including Catholic countries.

Jan 6th 2014 new

That is an interesting way to look at it.

I personally think that we are an offshoot of England, not Spain, and that
is why we have been so successful. I don't think any of the Hispanic
countries did as well as we did.

You may have mentioned an important point, though, about
Catholicism not being the primary religion of our background. We are
not a Catholic country though, but a Christian country.

Jan 7th 2014 new
And what is so neat is that I have met converts to the Catholic Church who where once Protestants or members of some New Age organization like Jehovah's Witnesses or Catholics who are returning home after going over to another faith.
Jan 7th 2014 new
There's probably a lot of truth to this.

This country was never a Catholic country. In addition to being a former colony of England and being made up of English citizens, it was also initially settled by Northern Europeans: the Dutch and the Germans. With their Protestant mindsets, they saw this as a place to create a heaven on earth, and were willing to wage war to do so. (Lest we forget, there was quite a bit of violence involved in assembling and maintaining this country.)

I would change the tense of your first sentence; there have been more than 50 million Americans murdered in the womb in this country since 1973. I don't care how much upward mobility this country offers anyone today; our greatness is gone.

Jan 8th 2014 new
God works in mysterious ways. He also chastises those whom he loves. And he loves Catholics.

Is this why Protestants seem to make better administrators than Catholics when it comes to running their home countries, and colonies where the vast majority of the population are European?

Is this why several hundred years after entering a mission greenfields with no competing religions except for the animism of a relatively few docile natives, Roman Catholicism has almost nothing to show, in terms of the material peace and prosperity that should ensue from a society having the correct religious underpinnings, in Latin America?

Still, before the Catholics came the Jews and God loves Jews. Perhaps this is why Israel is the best-run country in the Middle East. But, in mysterious chastisement perhaps, the place has no oil. Is it because it has no oil that it is the best-run place in the Middle East?
Jan 9th 2014 new
(quote) William-607613 said: There's probably a lot of truth to this.

This country was never a Catholic country. In addition to being a former colony of England and being made up of English citizens, it was also initially settled by Northern Europeans: the Dutch and the Germans. With their Protestant mindsets, they saw this as a place to create a heaven on earth, and were willing to wage war to do so. (Lest we forget, there was quite a bit of violence involved in assembling and maintaining this country.)

I would change the tense of your first sentence; there have been more than 50 million Americans murdered in the womb in this country since 1973. I don't care how much upward mobility this country offers anyone today; our greatness is gone.

I wonder how much better or worse the condition of this country would be if we were not one of the great world powers as mentioned in the Holy Bible? scratchchin
Jan 9th 2014 new
Just like Non-Catholic Schools where students learn to defend and fight for the faith. Whereas, many Catholic Schools have become so complacent and lost their identity!
Jan 9th 2014 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: Just like Non-Catholic Schools where students learn to defend and fight for the faith. Whereas, many Catholic Schools have become so complacent and lost their identity!
> Just like Non-Catholic Schools where students learn to defend and fight for the faith.

What faith would that be?

The problem that the United States has (along with Great Britain and her former colonies) is that it has nothing to replace the faith of Protestantism with.

Protestantism has collapsed during the second half of the twentieth century and there is no moral code or standard of behavior to fill its place, save for some silly ideals like "tolerance" or "diversity" which are notable for nothing more than their ambiguity and their meaninglessness.

Whatever anyone may think of those Catholic countries who were not quite as "efficient" at the rule of law as the United States has been, they still have tradition. They may have lost the Faith, but there is still a minimum standard of behavior in those countries that has disappeared from this one years ago.

Jan 10th 2014 new
(quote) William-607613 said: Whatever anyone may think of those Catholic countries who were not quite as "efficient" at the rule of law as the United States has been, they still have tradition. They may have lost the Faith, but there is still a minimum standard of behavior in those countries that has disappeared from this one years ago.
William, I fear all countries have lost their standards of behaviour, Catholic or Non-Catholic. I can't see any traces of a higher moral code in Catholic countries. I wish I could.
Jan 10th 2014 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: William, I fear all countries have lost their standards of behaviour, Catholic or Non-Catholic. I can't see any traces of a higher moral code in Catholic countries. I wish I could.
It's a subtle difference to be sure, but it's there.

The abortion rate in the formerly-Protestant countries is substantially higher than the abortion rate in the formerly-Catholic countries. In some cases, it is more than double. data.un.org

(I understand that the information here is up to ten years old in some cases but I couldn't find a site that was objective and which presented all of this information.)

I'm well aware as well, that in most, if not all, of the formerly Catholic countries, holy days of obligation are still public holidays. (Whether or not most people attend Mass on that day is a different story. As I have said, it may be a public holiday out of nothing more than tradition.)

Last May there were demonstrations in France over the issue of "gay marriage." What never got a mention in the MSM here in America were the numbers of French homosexuals who were marching with the conservative groups and protesting the whole idea.

c-fam.org.

In our lifetimes, I think it is going to become very difficult for Catholics to hold to their beliefs, but I think it is going to be particularly difficult for those of us who live in countries that were never Catholic.

Posts 1 - 10 of 12