Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Is she a scammer? Thoughts?

Jan 10th 2014 new

Out of the blue, I start getting Skype messages from a 37-year old woman living in Brussels. She is evidently NOT on Catholic Match. She wanted to know my age - I am 16 years older than her. She wanted to know if I could write in French. I told her I took some French in school, but wasn't fluent enough to write an accurate message. So she said no problem, "I can write in English".

Her messages seem inconsistent. Sometimes she'll write in more broken English than other times, where the grammar is quite good. She has sent photos of a mostly frowning woman consistent with the stated age. She tries to call me on Skype, but her mic doesn't work. She asks me often whether I "thought of her" that day. She talks a lot about babies and children.

Personally, I am put off by any woman who talks like this after knowing her online for only a short time, and I admit I wonder, "Psycho?" But what if I am wrong and she is real? She hasn't asked for any money. I am wondering if she might be legit or it might be a Nigerian or someone from that area?

Are there any questions I could ask to determine authenticity? She says she is a fallen-away Catholic and I have seen her LinkedIn profile. Sparse info there - some freelance job as a buyer.

Thoughts?

Jan 10th 2014 new
Could just be a cover for a long-haul scam of some sort.

Usually when I get messages out of the blue on one of my IM clients, it's just a s(c/p)ammer. I usually don't have the time or patience to troll them, so I just block them.

Does this person know anything personal about you? If not, then I can't think of any reason why you would be contacted out of the blue like that. (How did this person get your Skype handle, anyway? Do you post it on various places that bots could find and harvest?)

My thoughts: this isn't legit. The LinkedIn profile is probably just there to try to add legitimacy to the Skype account. Feel free to play along and try to find out as much information as you can about the person(s) on the other keyboard, but don't get too invested in it.
Jan 10th 2014 new
(quote) Andrew-1045895 said:

Out of the blue, I start getting Skype messages from a 37-year old woman living in Brussels. She is evidently NOT on Catholic Match. She wanted to know my age - I am 16 years older than her. She wanted to know if I could write in French. I told her I took some French in school, but wasn't fluent enough to write an accurate message. So she said no problem, "I can write in English".

Her messages seem inconsistent. Sometimes she'll write in more broken English than other times, where the grammar is quite good. She has sent photos of a mostly frowning woman consistent with the stated age. She tries to call me on Skype, but her mic doesn't work. She asks me often whether I "thought of her" that day. She talks a lot about babies and children.

Personally, I am put off by any woman who talks like this after knowing her online for only a short time, and I admit I wonder, "Psycho?" But what if I am wrong and she is real? She hasn't asked for any money. I am wondering if she might be legit or it might be a Nigerian or someone from that area?

Are there any questions I could ask to determine authenticity? She says she is a fallen-away Catholic and I have seen her LinkedIn profile. Sparse info there - some freelance job as a buyer.

Thoughts?

there are many scammers exist online, and locally in person... Just don't get how she got your Skype id unless someone gave it to her without your knowledge and permission, or you forgot to customize your skype settings, as anyone can see and approach you for a instant chat...

Try to give the woman the benefit of the doubt... as long as she's not harassing you or asking you favors and money.. as for me asking money to a total stranger is unethical... You'll know through exchange of communication if the woman is real or not with her intentions ...

God bless you
Jan 10th 2014 new
(quote) Andrew-1045895 said:

Thoughts?

I'm sensing that it already makes you uncomfortable. You seemed to be concerned. Good gut instincts. This may be an opportunity to block her on skype. I hope that doesn't seem to harsh. But on the other hand, she does. I feel like I am hearing danger signals.
May God bless your day.
Jan 10th 2014 new
Yup, sounds inconsistent as you mentioned and definitely go with your gut on this!

I would block her as she might get more personal information from you and then wipe you out! Been screwed over on the internet before or hacked, and it is no FUN I can tell you!! It is a nightmare!! Someone somehow got my credit card info and spent 4K on purchases to Office Depot or something. My card didn't work is how I found out and I called the company and they said you don't do business with anyone from Nigeria, do you. They never were able to recover the loss as I believe it was shipped overseas or something, but they did thank God not make me responsible. That was a couple of years ago and I still have no idea how they got my credit card number with the security code in the back or expiration date to make such a purchase. Just unbelievable.

Good luck and God Bless! Praying
Jan 10th 2014 new
Just be careful , my daughter had a big headache with that. It was not even on a matching site. Should I be scared now?
Jan 10th 2014 new
Doesn't sound healthy any way you slice it. I think your gut instincts are spot on. Lots of red flags there. Out of the blue, supposed female contacts male stranger (how does she know you are safe?), inconsistent grammar (several different people?), talk of babies (testing to see if that is a weak spot for you?), asking if you thought about her (testing to see if the hook is set?). . .nope, doesn't sound good at all. . .
Jan 10th 2014 new
Praying be careful.............pray and do not send money Praying
Jan 10th 2014 new
Rather than answer the question, let me ask you one. Do you honestly see yourself jumping on a plane and flying to someplace in Europe to meet her for a cup of coffee, attend mass with her some Sunday morning or take her out for supper? Unless you are filthy rich, the travel expenses alone would bankrupt you before you could even give her a dime.
Jan 10th 2014 new
Hi Andrew

Ive had 2 or 3 women come into my life that way via my email and 2 were both quite young but also very attractive. Or at least the pictures the sent were? They were all from other countries as well.

I realize that many are seeking a better life in the USA and are looking for a husband possibly for legitimate and also reasons to gain citizenship or exclusively the latter and their only intention is to find someone who is venerable and willing to help them.

Most women I believe, arent interested or shall I better say feel attracted to men who are many years older such as in my case and its very flattering to want to think they are and really I admit a part of me that was walking on the clouds because it seems like it was not that long ago when I was near their age.

I used to believe every thing any girl told me and always had taken everything they said literally what only brought me trouble and disappointment as often things ended with harsh words from her family and friends because I had yet to recognize when someone was giving me a hint and was reaching the age where I was expected to know this.

It wasnt that I was dumb but had little experience with girls but also few could understand this so it was frustrating to everyone.

That was long ago and its not that Ive become free from misunderstanding or being misunderstood but have picked up some wisdom along the way. And after reading their letters, what they all had in common is they were not only written in a manner that could be sent to several people but also appropriate to each stage of getting to know someone and very likely to have all been pre written and sent to many other men before I was on her mailing list. Its really the only practical way to do this and all that needs to be done is adding the correct name and perhaps making a few changes. But you really have to have to consider the content of all the letters or at least many in succession over a period of time to see this.

I wouldnt give out any personal info but can just say to not take it seriously and have fun but also it wont take long and theyll lose interest. So if you have time to kill, its a good way to do it and I feel I waste a lot of mine already writing letters that go unanswered on CM but its just part of the normal nature of trying to find the right person and you cant catch a fish if you dont drop a line!

So with that I wish everyone the best in 2014 on CM

Paul!

Posts 1 - 10 of 39