Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Hello Everyone!

One of the reasons I am intrigued on writing this forum, is seeing forums with much debate on the 7 of 7 questions. While we all assume that we are all on catholic match.com because we're catholic, what makes us catholic? Why are we catholic? What do we believe in as catholics? Do we fully understand our catholicism? Were we properly catechized? and so many other questions.

I have a family member, who was baptised catholic, raised catholic, and for sometime, raised her children in the faith along with catholic schooling. However, she made a huge U turn in her faith and decided that the catholic church teaches nothing but lies. Afterall, her opinion was, you don't pray to Mary, the Holy Eucharist is just merely symbolic, confession is between you and God and not a priest, and the list goes on and on. Although I have to give this family member alot of credit with her new born again christian belief in theology, it still strikes me funny that when you ask this person, do you take the bible literally? Do you believe God at His Word? She will always answer yes!!! So when God says, "Truly, Truly I tell you, if you do not eat of my flesh and drink my blood you have no life in you!", why is it that you cannot believe or have faith that the bread and wine truly becomes His sacrificial body? Afterall, I explain to her that in the old testament, they sacrificed the perfect spotless lamb! What did they do with the sacrifice of the lamb in the old testament? They ate it in atonement for their sins.

So Jesus came down as the perfect, sinless spotless lamb for us in the new testament, right? She says, yes, well we no longer have to sacrifice an animal because He came as the perfect spotless lamb and sacrificed His life for us, shed His blood for us. So we as catholics truly believe in the body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ Himself! She continues to tell me that it was merely symbolic. I said, then why in the bible when God says "truly, truly or varely, varely I tell you"? That's in a sense like God saying (I promise I promise) this is the truth! If you had the faith of a mustard seed, you would tell that mountain to move! She goes onto to debate that there is no man/person that can change wine into blood or bread into human flesh. Well you can imagine how the debate went on from there.

About a year ago, I traveled for nearly four months, I didn't work and had time to study, reflect and learn alot about our faith by the grace of God. God came knocking at my door, after I sat in my backyard crying, asking God, show me the truth, afterall, when you debate a born again christian who knows his or her bible inside out, you better know scripture, which I sadly didn't to the degree in which she did. So God took me away for months, my son, my daughter and grandkids went. In listening to Immaculate Heart radio, EWTN, Journey Home by Marcus Grodi, from there, I had come across many amazing people who were on their journey, alot like my family member, but made some astonishing realizations in their journey and coming HOME to the Catholic Church.

Here is Tim Staples biography, one of many persons that I found through listening, amongst many other great people I found also, but he's one that knew his theology. I know it's alot of reading and listening, but to the one who reads this forum, I hope it blesses you and finds you on fire for your faith and a better understanding in the 7 of 7 questions.

(Tim Staples: BIOGRAPHY)
www.crossroadsinitiative.com

theheart theheart theheart theheart theheart

(Tim Staples: What Catholics believe about our Blessed Mother)
www.youtube.com

(Tim Staples: the Infallibility of the Pope)
www.youtube.com

(Tim Staples: on the Eucharist)
www.youtube.com

(Tim Staples: on contraception-a grave evil)
www.youtube.com

(Tim Staples: on Sanctity of Life)
www.youtube.com

(Tim Staples: holy orders)
www.youtube.com

(Tim Staples: pre-marital sex)
www.youtube.com

Jan 10 new
Hi Sharon, Thank you for sharing your struggle and your journey., your four months sound heavenly!
I believe just knowing that this family member is on her own journey is a start. I know many people who leave the faith and then find their way home BUT, I know many many more who come from different faiths who find their way to the Catholic Church. Most find their way through the mind, the intellectual process, as our church has the answers they could not find elsewhere. And those who lead with their hearts tend to go elsewhere because congregations from other christian faiths are actively LIVING the gospels. :(
Maybe our Pope can change the way we too live our faith. St Frank was called by God to "rebuild" His church, not to change it, and he did so. I see our Blessed Pope doing the same, inspiring the heart without losing the theology that gives us truth. I am so happy to be Catholic in this day and age.
I attended the Catechetical Institute in St Paul and it gave me an incredible in depth understanding of our faith, I feel I am better able to argue our faith now than previously. I am glad you found a source that helped you also, I will listen to your links soon. Thank You.

Jan 10 new
P.S. no man/person does change our offering of bread and wine into His body and His blood..... our priests call the Holy Spirit down to do so, like the dew fall. Dove
Jan 10 new
Fascinating link to the understanding of 'dew fall' and transubstantiation, well worth the read for me at least;
paucaverba.blogspot.com

Jan 10 new
(quote) Karen-712407 said: P.S. no man/person does change our offering of bread and wine into His body and His blood..... our priests call the Holy Spirit down to do so, like the dew fall.
I agree entirely to your statement above. I just didn't get involved and in depth of the logistics of my conversation with my family member. Her belief is NO man can do this, but as you mentioned above, I'm in agreement and had that conversation with her also, but to no avail. All we can do is pray for non believers. I enjoyed reading your thoughts very much.....

blessings to an amazing soul,
Sharon
Jan 10 new
(quote) Karen-712407 said: Fascinating link to the understanding of 'dew fall' and transubstantiation, well worth the read for me at least;
http://paucaverba.blogspot.com/2013/07/like-dew-fall.html

Hello again Karen,

I went over to the link you provided and bookmarked it. Am in the middle of eating lunch and reading what you sent over, so far absolutely exquisite in detail and beautiful. Have a blessed day.

Sharon
Jan 10 new
(quote) Karen-712407 said: Hi Sharon, Thank you for sharing your struggle and your journey., your four months sound heavenly!
I believe just knowing that this family member is on her own journey is a start. I know many people who leave the faith and then find their way home BUT, I know many many more who come from different faiths who find their way to the Catholic Church. Most find their way through the mind, the intellectual process, as our church has the answers they could not find elsewhere. And those who lead with their hearts tend to go elsewhere because congregations from other christian faiths are actively LIVING the gospels. :(
Maybe our Pope can change the way we too live our faith. St Frank was called by God to "rebuild" His church, not to change it, and he did so. I see our Blessed Pope doing the same, inspiring the heart without losing the theology that gives us truth. I am so happy to be Catholic in this day and age.
I attended the Catechetical Institute in St Paul and it gave me an incredible in depth understanding of our faith, I feel I am better able to argue our faith now than previously. I am glad you found a source that helped you also, I will listen to your links soon. Thank You.

I am so sorry Karen I didn't get an opportunity to address your response back earlier. You are so right about being a catholic in this day and age. I see the church making incredible movements globally and find it more intriguing how our youth are really taking the bull by the horns. I especially love youth day in Rome for the younger generations, I sure wished they had all of that going on when I was a child/teenager.

Congratulations on attending Catechetical Institute in St. Paul, you a lucky gal, especially in the department of being able to "defend" your catholic faith. One day, I'd like to do that also, I'd like to have an answer to each questions to our protestant sisters and brothers. Not to show them that I know more, but as God says, we should be ready and able/know the bible to put into practice and evangelize. In my heart of hearts, I know, intellectually to quote and find scripture so quickly as our protestant brothers and sisters can, I cannot. So one day, or little by little I hope to have the information stored in my brain to relate the gospel in the correct manner.

blessings Karen and thank you so much for your response. Keep in touch and good luck here on Catholic Match.com

Sharon
Jan 10 new
(quote) Karen-712407 said: Fascinating link to the understanding of 'dew fall' and transubstantiation, well worth the read for me at least;
http://paucaverba.blogspot.com/2013/07/like-dew-fall.html

You get a Gold Star! You get a Gold Star!
Jan 11 new
Karen,

This is beautiful, thanks for sharing!
Jan 15 new
Thank you all for the information. Kept it for future reference.
Do not remember who said "The Catholic Faith is a hard religion to live in, but it is the
best religion to die in".
As a young men, I remember sitting down with a friend who called himself an a non-believer.
He went over most of the bible and kept asking me why the Catholic Church did this or that or
believed this or that. My answer was simple, "I do not know". He patiently went through the bible
explaining why the Catholic Religion was bogus. I patiently listen, it was over a period of three
or more months. In the end, I stopped him and remember telling him, you keep giving me reasons not to believe, but I see those as reasons to believe. Do not think your plan is working out. I told him but you did give me reason to study my faith. Which I eventually did 15 years later.
Another good friend took me to his church and after awhile asked me if I wanted to join their
denomination. I said "I do appreciate what I have seen, but no". When he asked why? I said
because in the Catholic faith I can drink a beer/ Thinking back, I remember giving simple uncomplicated answers when questioned.
Two of my favorites answers when challenged were (1) You are going to tell me aren't you
Or (2) lets discuss it over a beer. The second one backfired once, when a Baptist friend asked and when i mentioned beer. He said "Okay but you buy the first one" Dang he liked
beer. I think he finally became a Catholic.
The hardest was my sister-in-law because she was a non listener, but kept asking questions. I finally said, when you are truly serious we will talk about it.

Posts 1 - 10 of 17