Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Hi there,

I want to give everyone a heads-up that posting too much information about your worklife and where you live on your profile can allow someone to find you and contact you off of Catholic Match.

This happened to be very recently. In my profile, I wrote about where I lived and what I did for a living. Because I am a teacher in a unique part of Canada, this person did an extensive internet search and ended up finding my work email-which is posted online. Because name, "Rosanna" is a bit unique, he was able to put two and two together and deduct that the person was me.

I do not believe he was able to contact me online for some reason. So he did a internet search which took hours and hours until he found my work email.

He sent me two emails. One that was 1500 words long, the other had my picture. He tried to add me to his Skype and his Talk. When he was removed from the site, he sent me another 1500 word email. The email got through to my regular Inbox despite the fact that I blocked him.

It was all very creepy to think that someone I've never met on the other side of the world can become so obsessed with me and even have pictures of me on his computer. Even more creepy is that he was able to find me..from a few simple clues from my profile.

I have since modified my profile so that it not as easy to find my identity online.

So ladies...please be careful! It's not so hard for someone to find your identity online!!!

PS I hope this post is OK with CM, if not simply remove it.
Jan 11 new
Thanks for the warning. It's also a good idea to use a different profile picture on here than you would do on Facebook.

That way random people can't find you. I'm lucky because I've had radically different hair colors and so I can swap pictures out and most people don't associate a blonde with a crazy redhead. wink mischievous

Thanks for the heads up, Rosanna.
Jan 11 new
Thank you Megan for the suggestion, I just changed my picture on one of my social media sites. My Facebook is private because I'm a teacher so luckily no one outside of my friends can find me online.
Jan 11 new

Thank you

Jan 11 new
Because of my job, my name also being very unqiue and the way my profession has an internet register accessible to the public, I use my middle name on this site. LIkewise, I don't even use a people picture on my facebook. I've had people contact previous work places of mine from other singles' sites using my first name.

The world is very well connected now and with social media and Google the way it is, its very easy to hunt someone down to their actual work place.

Likewise, Facebook being facebook, be aware every time they have an "update" to "improve" their services, always go check your privacy settings, because with every new "update" my settings end up being switched to public with all access to whoever.
Jan 11 new

I am very careful online = so much so that I never even give my real birthday - it is close to my own but not exactly the same because I am afraid of identity theft. I used to work for a credit checking service and we needed 3 forms of ID before we would run a search - and this was usually name, address and birthdate (or D/L number etc). So I figure if I am online, I don't want to provide too many 'real' details that someone could use to access even more information about me.

This backfired on me once when I was having trouble with my yahoo mail account and had to phone up for assistance. They asked my birthdate and I honestly said I couldn't remember what I had used - as I never used my real one. I was finally able to identify myself, but after that I decided to make up one birthdate that I could use on all online sites, just as I have a throwaway email address for online sites. So I won't forget the fake birthdate, but if someone is trying to access serious stuff like bank accounts, etc, they won't have the correct one.

It might sound a little bit paranoid, but I did have someone steal my credit card number once and try to order furniture online with it. They were incredibly stupid though because the furniture company phoned me to ask about delivery dates and times and location, and I had to tell them I had never ordered any furniture! Anyway, the point is, that this thread is good - never give away too much info about yourself online or make it easy for others to locate you. Stay safe.

Jan 11 new
Thank you for the warning. I was contacted by a scammer but luckily recognized the MO.
Jan 11 new
(quote) Rosanna-1008574 said: Hi there,

I want to give everyone a heads-up that posting too much information about your worklife and where you live on your profile can allow someone to find you and contact you off of Catholic Match.

This happened to be very recently. In my profile, I wrote about where I lived and what I did for a living. Because I am a teacher in a unique part of Canada, this person did an extensive internet search and ended up finding my work email-which is posted online. Because name, "Rosanna" is a bit unique, he was able to put two and two together and deduct that the person was me.

I do not believe he was able to contact me online for some reason. So he did a internet search which took hours and hours until he found my work email.

He sent me two emails. One that was 1500 words long, the other had my picture. He tried to add me to his Skype and his Talk. When he was removed from the site, he sent me another 1500 word email. The email got through to my regular Inbox despite the fact that I blocked him.

It was all very creepy to think that someone I've never met on the other side of the world can become so obsessed with me and even have pictures of me on his computer. Even more creepy is that he was able to find me..from a few simple clues from my profile.

I have since modified my profile so that it not as easy to find my identity online.

So ladies...please be careful! It's not so hard for someone to find your identity online!!!

PS I hope this post is OK with CM, if not simply remove it.
Hello Rosanna,

So sorry to hear that happened to you, I'd agree, creep and scary? I guess I'd be looking over my shoulder all the time if that happened to me. That makes me want to go back and check out my profile and possibly change some things. Thank you so much for the warning and I hope your doing okay?

Please pray for me, I will pray for you Rosanna,
blessings,
Sharon
Jan 11 new
I honestly think this is a lost cause. If someone is determined to identify you, nothing short of not being here at all will stop such a person. Recently we noted that one way of identifying scammers was to drop the profile photo onto the search box in Google Images. Well, "he who lives by the sword dies by the sword." There's nothing to stop anyone from taking a legitimate profile photo on here and doing the same thing. If your profile photo(s) was posted anywhere else, it's probably a cinch. If your Catholic Match photo is unique to this site, it might be a bit harder, but still far from inconceivable. Apart from that, the sort of profiles that make a person unidentifiable also tend to be bland to the point that one would not be motivated to write to such a person. The only safe assumption is that nothing anywhere on Internet is truly private. That includes this site, despite the requirement for membership.

I just came across the profile of a woman who lives near me and noted that she worked in the same field as my employer's wife. I started daydreaming about how she might even work for the same company, and that they might even know one another, and they would be sitting in front of a computer together looking at profiles when they would suddenly come across mine, and the CM member would start complaining about what a ridiculous excuse for a man I am, and my employer's wife would say, "Wait-- I know him-- he might be worth a bit of your time." That probably won't happen to me-- but it certainly could. The point is that the very existence of Internet erodes an individual's privacy. Nuisance contacts are part of the risk that one takes in order to gain the rewards associated with success here. Keep in mind that people could contact you outside of this site even if you were never here.

Bottom line-- I hope that people don't start making their profiles even less useful by removing useful and dare I say necessary information. Making connections here is difficult enough as it is. As far as risk goes-- I always say that just being alive is a risk. One can pull a muscle stretching in bed. Without even moving, a plane engine could fall right on one's head. Last month, a friend told me that the fellow in the apartment adjacent to his attempted suicide and missed. The bullet passed through the wall just over my friend's head. It all comes with the territory, namely, Earth.
Jan 11 new
(quote) Andrew-290721 said: I honestly think this is a lost cause. If someone is determined to identify you, nothing short of not being here at all will stop such a person. Recently we noted that one way of identifying scammers was to drop the profile photo onto the search box in Google Images. Well, "he who lives by the sword dies by the sword." There's nothing to stop anyone from taking a legitimate profile photo on here and doing the same thing. If your profile photo(s) was posted anywhere else, it's probably a cinch. If your Catholic Match photo is unique to this site, it might be a bit harder, but still far from inconceivable. Apart from that, the sort of profiles that make a person unidentifiable also tend to be bland to the point that one would not be motivated to write to such a person. The only safe assumption is that nothing anywhere on Internet is truly private. That includes this site, despite the requirement for membership.

I just came across the profile of a woman who lives near me and noted that she worked in the same field as my employer's wife. I started daydreaming about how she might even work for the same company, and that they might even know one another, and they would be sitting in front of a computer together looking at profiles when they would suddenly come across mine, and the CM member would start complaining about what a ridiculous excuse for a man I am, and my employer's wife would say, "Wait-- I know him-- he might be worth a bit of your time." That probably won't happen to me-- but it certainly could. The point is that the very existence of Internet erodes an individual's privacy. Nuisance contacts are part of the risk that one takes in order to gain the rewards associated with success here. Keep in mind that people could contact you outside of this site even if you were never here.

Bottom line-- I hope that people don't start making their profiles even less useful by removing useful and dare I say necessary information. Making connections here is difficult enough as it is. As far as risk goes-- I always say that just being alive is a risk. One can pull a muscle stretching in bed. Without even moving, a plane engine could fall right on one's head. Last month, a friend told me that the fellow in the apartment adjacent to his attempted suicide and missed. The bullet passed through the wall just over my friend's head. It all comes with the territory, namely, Earth.

The thing is that a person can put quite a lot into a profile without revealing personal details that could be identifiable. For example, this whole birthday thing makes me uncomfortable so that's why I won't give my real birthdate (the age is the same). I got notifications of birthday wishes when the date came around recently but it isn't my birthday! I don't want anyone to know that because it is too personal and can be used for legal purposes. Sorry. In FB (which I don't belong to anymore because of the privacy issues), one could hide their birthdate. Can one do that here? I don't know. Photos are identifiable, yes, but I am not on any other social networking sites like FB or Twitter etc, so it would be hard to find me anywhere else but here.

Sure, life is dangerous, but let's not make it any easier for those who prey on others. So give an occupation but don't state a business that can be identified. If you are in a small town and there are identifiable details, then yes, this can be difficult, but caution is better than cure.

The Internet is public, so act as if you are in public - don't shout out your personal details.

Posts 1 - 10 of 58