Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

I am surprised to read this news from MSN:

Two Licenses

Licenses for 136 marijuana stores, a majority in Denver, were mailed Dec. 23, the state Revenue Department said in a statement. Recreational marijuana businesses can open only after receiving both a state and local license, said Julie Postlethwait, a spokeswoman for the states Marijuana Enforcement Division.

In Denver, 18 shops received state and local licenses in time to begin selling marijuana Jan. 1, according to the Department of Excise and Licenses. Five marijuana-infused product manufacturers and 27 growers also received licenses.

Colorado residents with a photo identification showing they are at least 21 may buy as much as one ounce of pot in a single transaction, while those from out of state can get a quarter ounce. Customers cant consume the product in public, including at the shops.

Colorado projects $578.1 million a year in combined wholesale and retail marijuana sales to yield $67 million in tax revenue, according to the Legislative Council of the Colorado General Assembly. Wholesale transactions taxed at 15 percent will finance school construction, while the retail levy of 10 percent will fund regulation of the industry.

Jan 6th 2014 new
(quote) Sara-979131 said: I am surprised to read this news from MSN:

Two Licenses

Licenses for 136 marijuana stores, a majority in Denver, were mailed Dec. 23, the state Revenue Department said in a statement. Recreational marijuana businesses can open only after receiving both a state and local license, said Julie Postlethwait, a spokeswoman for the states Marijuana Enforcement Division.

In Denver, 18 shops received state and local licenses in time to begin selling marijuana Jan. 1, according to the Department of Excise and Licenses. Five marijuana-infused product manufacturers and 27 growers also received licenses.

Colorado residents with a photo identification showing they are at least 21 may buy as much as one ounce of pot in a single transaction, while those from out of state can get a quarter ounce. Customers cant consume the product in public, including at the shops.

Colorado projects $578.1 million a year in combined wholesale and retail marijuana sales to yield $67 million in tax revenue, according to the Legislative Council of the Colorado General Assembly. Wholesale transactions taxed at 15 percent will finance school construction, while the retail levy of 10 percent will fund regulation of the industry.

Given that aspartame(the sugar substitute in diet coke) was legalized, is this any surprise?
Jan 6th 2014 new
(quote) Sara-979131 said: Colorado projects $578.1 million a year in combined wholesale and retail marijuana sales to yield $67 million in tax revenue, according to the Legislative Council of the Colorado General Assembly. Wholesale transactions taxed at 15 percent will finance school construction, while the retail levy of 10 percent will fund regulation of the industry.

rolling eyes Yeah, and in IL the way they got everyone to back gambling was to say it was going to go to (fund) education. (Um, not).
Jan 6th 2014 new
(quote) Wendy-387654 said: Yeah, and in IL the way they got everyone to back gambling was to say it was going to go to (fund) education. (Um, not).
Hi Wendy,

Yes, reminds me of all the " Bonanza ! " mule muffins shoveled out to allow the Atlantic City empires to be built....
Jan 10th 2014 new

Two Licenses

And up goes the rate of drug related theft crimes.
Jan 11th 2014 new
Marijuana is a gateway drug to harder drugs. This is a dangerous experiment where morality plays hostage to you guessed it, Money! The mighty dollar. Very sad.
Jan 11th 2014 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: Marijuana is a gateway drug to harder drugs. This is a dangerous experiment where morality plays hostage to you guessed it, Money! The mighty dollar. Very sad.
This silly movement in the US is actually not being fueled by money. Most of those obtaining licenses in both Colorado and Washington State are Potheads trying to pay for their own habit.

There is no doubt that eventually, if the voting public does not wake up and repeal these idiotic laws, big money seeking big profits will come in.
Jan 11th 2014 new
Frankly (and this comment may be controversial), I find alcohol to be far more lethal than pot. Don't get me wrong - I hate pot and I have relatives that smoke it frequently and it's definitely harmed them. But I'm more worried about alcohol abuse - look at the stats on drunk driving!

I favor legalizing it for medical reasons - it does help with pain management.
Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Megan-21150 said: Frankly (and this comment may be controversial), I find alcohol to be far more lethal than pot. Don't get me wrong - I hate pot and I have relatives that smoke it frequently and it's definitely harmed them. But I'm more worried about alcohol abuse - look at the stats on drunk driving!

I favor legalizing it for medical reasons - it does help with pain management.
Yet the fact is that the legalization of pot is not for medicinal use. There are far more effective and less damaging pain medications available in any case.

Admittedly, the argument you put forth is one of the usual arguments made to try to get people to vote to legalize it. But when all is said and done the whole movement has solely to do with recreational use.

Jan 12th 2014 new

Two Licenses

It gets old trying to keep people from hurting themselves. As long as you have to be
18 or 21 to buy it, and not drive high, like the rules for driving, I am fine with it.

This might even make the stuff bought legally more safe because one never knows
where the illegal stuff comes from.

Posts 1 - 10 of 136