Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said:

It gets old trying to keep people from hurting themselves. As long as you have to be
18 or 21 to buy it, and not drive high, like the rules for driving, I am fine with it.

Marijuana being a gateway drug to heroin, cocaine etc ....it's not just yourself you're hurting. But deranged people under the influence hurt everyone around them. It's a very reckless, irresponsible move by the Colorado State legislature.
Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: This silly movement in the US is actually not being fueled by money. Most of those obtaining licenses in both Colorado and Washington State are Potheads trying to pay for their own habit.

There is no doubt that eventually, if the voting public does not wake up and repeal these idiotic laws, big money seeking big profits will come in.
Colorado projects $578.1 million a year in combined wholesale and retail marijuana sales to yield $67 million in tax revenue, according to the Legislative Council of the Colorado General Assembly. Wholesale transactions taxed at 15 percent will finance school construction, while the retail levy of 10 percent will fund regulation of the industry.
Jan 12th 2014 new
anyone have stats handy for percentage use on medical prescription?
-being around hospice with my mom......I saw some

[local teen suicides here are definitely related]
Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: Yet the fact is that the legalization of pot is not for medicinal use. There are far more effective and less damaging pain medications available in any case.

Admittedly, the argument you put forth is one of the usual arguments made to try to get people to vote to legalize it. But when all is said and done the whole movement has solely to do with recreational use.

Paul- I agree with you here.

And I do not believe that legalizing it will cause drug lord wars to subside in places like Mexico. I have a brother who works as an investigator/special agent for ICE in Arizona and with all his experience, he does not think it bodes well in legalizing it.

While visiting the Netherlands once, I saw the effects of a public pot culture. It was not attractive. A group of elderly men walked into a cafe and while at first they enjoyed conversation together when seated at their table, things progressed to the point where each was slumped over the table, under the influence of a haze of smoke. So, let's add one more factor to American society that aids in the numbing of our faculties...

Jan 12th 2014 new

We have enough lethargy in this country as it is. We are digressing, and not in a food way, to the Stone Age.

Jan 12th 2014 new

We have enough lethargy in this country as it is. We are digressing, and not in a food way, to the Stone Age.

Jan 12th 2014 new
That should say "not in a good way"
Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: Marijuana being a gateway drug to heroin, cocaine etc ....it's not just yourself you're hurting. But deranged people under the influence hurt everyone around them. It's a very reckless, irresponsible move by the Colorado State legislature.

They are saying, now that marijuana is not a gateway drug anymore. Drug users don't do

pot, but go directly to cocaine.

Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said:

They are saying, now that marijuana is not a gateway drug anymore. Drug users don't do

pot, but go directly to cocaine.

"They" will anything to get their way.
Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Sara-979131 said: Paul- I agree with you here.

And I do not believe that legalizing it will cause drug lord wars to subside in places like Mexico. I have a brother who works as an investigator/special agent for ICE in Arizona and with all his experience, he does not think it bodes well in legalizing it.

While visiting the Netherlands once, I saw the effects of a public pot culture. It was not attractive. A group of elderly men walked into a cafe and while at first they enjoyed conversation together when seated at their table, things progressed to the point where each was slumped over the table, under the influence of a haze of smoke. So, let's add one more factor to American society that aids in the numbing of our faculties...

It is time to face the fact that all the time, money and innocent lives lost by trying to
stop drugs has really not been working. Sure, the Feds and other policing departments
seize loads and loads of illegal substances, but that is only a drop in the bucket. The
world-wide drug trade just continues, generation after generation with brutal deaths
and brutal addictions.

Look at Afghanistan, if stopping heroin and drugs were really the intent, why
wouldn't the poppy plants be destroyed. After all, that is the biggest source
of the problem. Not the aftermarket. But no, how would Afghanistan survive
without the poppy plant? I feel like we are all being asked to swallow a big
lie. Illegal drugs are profitable because they are illegal. And a lot of people
make a lot of money off drug trades.

It sounds callous to say, but the Government should deal with the medical issues
which happen to those who use drugs for recreational purposes, and then they
have to use those same drugs for survival purposes because of addiction.
Plenty is being discovered everyday about the brain and the brain that is
addicted to drugs. That is where the effort should be focused.

Now we not only try to deal with the addicts, but we also try to deal with those
who want to sell drugs and those who want to buy drugs illegally. We
are no closer to stopping drugs than if we just stopped trying to do so. And
the emphasis should be on helping those addicted, as we have to do anyway.

One hundred years ago, many cultures used cocaine as part of their daily
rituals and societies did not go bust. It seems the more emphasis we put
on controlling drug use, and the more fear generated by the uncontrolled
use of drugs, the bigger the problem gets--and that is not what most of
us want to happen.

Posts 11 - 20 of 136