Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Parental Guidance

Jan 12 new

Not being a parent should not be a reason for excluding such people from having firm views and concepts on the issue if parental guidance.

I believe that its ironic that most people's thoughts on parental guidance are formed before they themselves become parents ,and these thoughts are formed by the parental guidance they were exposed to as children. The parental guidance I received from my parents have much influenced my thoughts and beliefs on this subject.

I'll cite one example of where parental guidance is important ; education. When I enrolled as a Freshman at the local ( Greenwich Ct. ) High School , my mother insisted I select the "Commercial Course" which I did , not knowing this Course was training for secretarial employment. ( I wonder if my mother knew this.). After only one week , I was "yanked" out of Public School and sent to Catholic School , a transistion I much hated.

After two years in Catholic School I returned to GHS , but again only for two week because I transferred to Wright Tech because I had acquired an intense interest in electricity ,and I schooling in the electrical field.

This was done over my Mother's objections , because she disapproved of my decision. The point is , what was of keen interest to me was of no interest to my mother. That, I submit, is not sound parental guidance.

The views of other CM members on this important subject are most welcome.

Jan 13 new

1. Our parents believed that "father knows best" (and mother, too). Even when they have no idea what's going on.

2. Modern (i.e., post baby-boom) parents believe that having a baby is an accomplishment. Hence, your value is measured by your child's achievements.

Neither approach is correct.

IMHO, a parent's job is to:
- help his child develop into a self-reliant, morally good adult
- help his child discover where his talents lie and encourage him to make the most of them

Jan 13 new
My parents were born in 1926, lived through the Depression and that mentality never left them. You have to make practical decisions, choose a field where you can support yourself, learn a trade. Nothing really wrong with that but sometimes you want to pursue your interests.

My sister and I have a niece (brother's daughter) who majored in musical theater in college. We have a hard time picturing our father supporting a major like that for one of his own kids. eyepopping
Jan 14 new
(quote) Albert-146514 said:

I'll cite one example of where parental guidance is important ; education. When I enrolled as a Freshman at the local ( Greenwich Ct. ) High School , my mother insisted I select the "Commercial Course" which I did , not knowing this Course was training for secretarial employment. ( I wonder if my mother knew this.).

Yeah, my mother was all excited when I entered the School of Business at a Jesuit University. "When you graduate you can be a secretary!" she gushed.

No, Ma...I'll be the one who HAS the secretary..... rolling eyes

Jan 14 new

Please allow me to restate my thesis; that for most people , their thoughts and beliefs in regard to parental guidance are based on the parental guidance they received/ do not receive from their parents

If a child displays a talent, interest , or skill , the parents are obligated to accept that ,and extend advise and encouragement in order to direct the child to a place in life for which that child is most suited and where the child can achieve excellence ,no matter how high or low that "level" of excellence is.

My mtier is electrical installations ,and I tend to believe that "I'm not the best ,but there's nobody better".. A low level of excellence indeed , but still it's excellence in performance. But I achieved this exalted position without any guidance or encouragement from my parents.

Posts 1 - 5 of 5