Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

Soooooooo ..... thought I'd start a thread to talk about this year's Olympics Olympics and Paralympics Rolling Along ....

Has anyone been watching any of the qualification events? (I haven't. embarassed )

What sports are you most looking forward to? Hockey and skiing for me ..... and maybe some curling .....
Jan 13 new
I still like Llongo even though he is less popular
Jan 13 new
Speaking of the Paralympics Rolling Along specifically, there will be 50 hours of coverage on NBC and NBCSN (mostly on the latter)....

olympictalk.nbcsports.com

The Paralympics will run from March 7-16, using mostly the same venues as the regular Olympics.
Jan 14 new
eyepopping wide eyed Rolling Along Love it all Zoom...I don't know if I have a favorite? eyepopping wide eyed Rolling Along
Feb 05 new
(quote) Edward-4511 said: Soooooooo ..... thought I'd start a thread to talk about this year's Olympics and Paralympics ....

Has anyone been watching any of the qualification events? (I haven't. )

What sports are you most looking forward to? Hockey and skiing for me ..... and maybe some curling .....
Hi Zoom wave hug

Years ago, I used to do ice dancing Ice Skating ... like ballroom dancing on ice ... not like pairs skating, although one skates with a partner. But the preliminary dances are what I used to do. They are a "set pattern" of steps on the ice, which make a pattern that the couple has to repeat and trace directly over, three times. The TV network(s) don't usually show that portion of the competition, so if anyone knows if/when they'll be scheduled to air, I'd appreciate your letting me know with an email message or emotigram.

Ice Skating hyper clap heart

Feb 09 new
(quote) MaryAlice-97161 said: Hi Zoom

Years ago, I used to do ice dancing ... like ballroom dancing on ice ... not like pairs skating, although one skates with a partner. But the preliminary dances are what I used to do. They are a "set pattern" of steps on the ice, which make a pattern that the couple has to repeat and trace directly over, three times. The TV network(s) don't usually show that portion of the competition, so if anyone knows if/when they'll be scheduled to air, I'd appreciate your letting me know with an email message or emotigram.

Oh drat! I'm just now seeing this. There were some preliminary ice dancing routines shown yesterday morning (U.S. Eastern time) on NBCSN. Don't know if they were shown again in prime time on NBC, since I was at a square dance.
Feb 09 new
Note that Sochi is 9 hours ahead of the U.S. East Coast, so if you want to watch events "LIVE", set an alarm for early in the morning.
Feb 13 new
In men's hockey, team United States Flag defeats Slavocia 7-1. clap
Feb 13 new
Germany sweeps the luge events - men's singles, women's singles, doubles and the first ever relay (the last was just shown on NBC). Given my German heritage on my mom's side I have to say congrats to Germany. clap

Also, well done to Erin Hamlin, who won a bronze bronze medal in the women's singles luge. She is the first USA Luger EVER to win an Olympic medal in a singles event. United States Flag highfive
Feb 13 new
(quote) Edward-4511 said: What sports are you most looking forward to?
Mostly looking forward to the Olympics being over, but I'll get suckered into following hockey (the great 2010 tournament and final made everyone forget how dreadful the hockey was in Turin and Salt Lake.)

Couple thoughts about the Olympics --
(1) I'm old enough to remember when ABC was the Olympic network, not NBC. ABC did it right: Jim McKay hosted both the Olympics and the old Wide World of Sports (if you're over 30, you can hear the theme song playing in your head right now) and ABC used the two in synergy. They showed you a variety of sports (spanning the globe!) year-round, so that by the time the Olympics came around, you already had some idea of who the athletes were, what the story lines were, etc. With a few exceptions, NBC ignores Olympic sports during non-Olympic years, so they are forced to feed you a bunch of saccharine, formulaic vignettes to get you to buy into the athletes' fortunes.

(2) I've always thought of the Olympics as "sports for people who don't like sports." (Not intended as a putdown - there's nothing wrong with not liking sports.) If you had never watched a football game before and decided you wanted to watch the Super Bowl, you'd give up pretty quickly: ineligible receiver downfield?! What does that mean? and so on. Too many picayune rules and details. But anyone can instantly understand most Olympic sports: run faster than the other guy, lift more than the other guy, throw it farther than the other guy, etc. Even though most of them are bad spectator sports, you can at least jump into them right away.
Posts 1 - 10 of 22