Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Do you pay your bills online?

Jan 14th 2014 new

If so, what is the primary benefit?

If not, why not?

Jan 14th 2014 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said:

If not, why not?

For the frequently recurring ones, yes (phone, electric, etc.)
The primary benefit to me is speed, accuracy, and being
spared the drudgery of writing the check.

Jan 14th 2014 new
Well I don't have the internet at home right now so no. I was supposed to be able to use my cell phone as a hot spot but I can't get it to work but even if I did wouldn't have to the time to figure out how to set up all those payments let alone keep track of them. I like checks....call me old fashioned.
Jan 14th 2014 new
(quote) Ann-69118 said: Well I don't have the internet at home right now so no. I was supposed to be able to use my cell phone as a hot spot but I can't get it to work but even if I did wouldn't have to the time to figure out how to set up all those payments let alone keep track of them. I like checks....call me old fashioned.
Public Wi-Fi hot spots (which includes any home wireless network that is not set up with WPA2 security and a hard password) are fine for general web surfing, but I would think long and hard before using one to conduct a financial transaction or access a site that accesses sensitive financial or personal information, unless your device is configured to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) for security.
Jan 14th 2014 new
(quote) Ann-69118 said: Well I don't have the internet at home right now so no. I was supposed to be able to use my cell phone as a hot spot but I can't get it to work but even if I did wouldn't have to the time to figure out how to set up all those payments let alone keep track of them. I like checks....call me old fashioned.
I'm old fashioned too.

I do have internet on my home computer but I prefer to sit down with the few monthly bills (rent, electric, cable) and write a check.

Helps me keep better track of what is coming out of my checking account.
Jan 14th 2014 new
100% on-line. Only from home computer with hard wired connection. No wifi - dont trust it. I never use automatic deduction. Only when I click does the money go out. I even make my parish donation on line.
Jan 14th 2014 new

If not, why not?

you cheeky thing......I thought it said ....do you pay your bills on time? shhh
Jan 14th 2014 new
naaaaaaaaaaaaaaah telephone....set up to pay from home...........
Jan 14th 2014 new
No Stamps.. No Envelopes.. graduate
Jan 14th 2014 new

If not, why not?

If the company has it set up to be user friendly, I will pay on line from my personal computers. Most credit card companies are user friendly.

But if it is not a user friendly site, I will write a check. For example, my power company allows on-line payment. But if you use it you must agree to receive the bill on-line as well.

I would much prefer using checks only. But no bank around here will return your cancelled checks to you. So if you need a copy for proof of payment, they will sell you a copy. One of the catches here is tha my bank allows me to print a copy of my cancelled check. BUT, and it is a very big BUT, the copy I print cannot be used as proof of payment. Proof of payment is a copy of the check printed by the bank.

The latest headache introduced into this madness is if a company you send a payment to by check, deposits your check electronically, no cancelled check copy is available from anyone.

Now when you pay by check in person, such as at WaMart, they desposit your check electronically right there at the cash register and they return your now cancelled check to you along with your receipt.

So there are pluses and minuses

The plus is you save postage costs. (Not really because as fewer people use the postal system, they keep needing to increase the cost of postage, mainly because the PO is saddled with the costs of the extravagant civil service pension plan.)

Another advantage is that if you forget to mail the check in time to meet the payment deadline date you can go on line and pay immediately saving the penalties for late payment. That is if you make that on-line payment before the deadline.

So, I set up a payment for my credit cards as soon as I receive the bill. Although they say you can schedule your payment on the deadline date, just to be on the safe side, I schedule my payment for the previous business date.
Posts 1 - 10 of 48