Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Women earned 76.5 cents for every dollar that men did last year, moving no closer to narrowing a gender pay gap that has barely budged in almost a decade.

Male full-time workers notched median annual earnings of $49,398 in 2012, compared with $37,791 for female workers, according to a Census Bureau report Tuesday. In 2011, women earned 77 cents for every $1 men earned.

The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009(Pub.L. 1112, S. 181) is a federal statute in the United States that was the first bill signed into law by President Barack Obama on January 29, 2009. The Act amends the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The new act states that the 180-day statute of limitations for filing an equal-pay lawsuit regarding pay discrimination resets with each new paycheck affected by that discriminatory action. The law directly addressed Ledbetter v. Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co., 550 U.S. 618 (2007), a U.S. Supreme Court decision that the statute of limitations for presenting an equal-pay lawsuit begins on the date that the employer makes the initial discriminatory wage decision, not at the date of the most recent paycheck.
Jan 22 new
Your issues starts at 2:30 into the video.

www.youtube.com
Jan 22 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said:

Women earned 76.5 cents for every dollar that men did last year, moving no closer to narrowing a gender pay gap that has barely budged in almost a decade.

Male full-time workers notched median annual earnings of $49,398 in 2012, compared with $37,791 for female workers, according to a Census Bureau report Tuesday. In 2011, women earned 77 cents for every $1 men earned.

The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009(Pub.L. 1112, S. 181) is a federal statute in the United States that was the first bill signed into law by President Barack Obama on January 29, 2009. The Act amends the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The new act states that the 180-day statute of limitations for filing an equal-pay lawsuit regarding pay discrimination resets with each new paycheck affected by that discriminatory action. The law directly addressed Ledbetter v. Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co., 550 U.S. 618 (2007), a U.S. Supreme Court decision that the statute of limitations for presenting an equal-pay lawsuit begins on the date that the employer makes the initial discriminatory wage decision, not at the date of the most recent paycheck.
It all depends what is meant by equal pay for women.

If you mean a man and a women in the same job with the same skills and/or education and years of service, for all intents and purposes equal pay exists here.

If you are merely comparing average earnings without reference to specific jobs , skills, education and years of continuous service. it is a nonsense problem not worthy of concern. Nevertheless the bugger everybody wacky liberals successfully blather on and sell the nonsense.
Jan 22 new
Don't know your point.....equal pay or things done by Obama....

This Fair Pay Act might have been his first bill signed into law, but his first executive order was done on January 23, 2009 (before the Fair Pay Act) where he reversed the ban that prohibits funding to international family planning groups that provide abortions.

So for me, fighting for equal pay isn't as important as fighting to NOT have my government use federal money for abortion, here and abroad. Dove
Jan 23 new
My point is, as the studies show, despite some progress women are still being paid less than men doing the same job. When do you think this kind of sexual discrimination in the workplace will end?
Jan 23 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: My point is, as the studies show, despite some progress women are still being paid less than men doing the same job. When do you think this kind of sexual discrimination in the workplace will end?
The usual statistics on this issue do not even hint that they are talking about pay for the same job. They are merely gross figures; i.e the average women earns x while the average man earns y. A completely bogus and nonsensical statistic.

Even when they make an actual comparison in specific jobs they never report the info based on years of service and education, etc. Again it is merely the average women engineer earns x and the average male engineer earn y.
Jan 23 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: The usual statistics on this issue do not even hint that they are talking about pay for the same job. They are merely gross figures; i.e the average women earns x while the average man earns y. A completely bogus and nonsensical statistic.

Even when they make an actual comparison in specific jobs they never report the info based on years of service and education, etc. Again it is merely the average women engineer earns x and the average male engineer earn y.

Paul, are you comfortable with these Statistics? ...........

Why should there still be any disparity between men and women?

Are you suggesting women are less educated than men?

Are you suggesting women are less experienced than men?

OR Both?

Jan 23 new
Is there merit to this pursuit of equality? Yes of course! Can this equality be legislated? No.

Also, I think that a lot of women take things other than salary into consideration. Take me for example, I probably could make more money for the same job if I was willing to commute to the city. It would be difficult for me since I am a mom, so I work in a smaller office that gives me a little more flexibility. Not all women have children, but those that do need flexibility.
Jan 23 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said:

Paul, are you comfortable with these Statistics? ...........

Why should there still be any disparity between men and women?

Are you suggesting women are less educated than men?

Are you suggesting women are less experienced than men?

OR Both?

If you don't understand the silliness of the statistic then is it difficult to have a discussion.

Lumpinm\g all men together and then all women together and calculating the average income each group earns is meaningless.

The only valid comparison would be a man and women, doing exactly the same job with the same education and the same years of service in the same company. Now if that standard is met and there is a disparity in their pay, you may have a valid point.

Skilled construction workers are generally men and usually very well paid. File clerks, on the other hand tend to be women and these are usually entry level office jobs with lower pay then skilled construction workers earn.

Would it be valid to point to that discrepancy in pay and say that the women are being discriminated against?

Now if we have a highly skilled construction worker who is female and she makes less than the equivalent male skilled construction worker, all others things being equal, then you have a cause for complaint.

In studies of this kind, grand averages are meaningless. Any statistician who would present such gibberish as meaningful findings should be fired for utter incompetence.,
Jan 23 new
(quote) Salli-1049848 said: Is there merit to this pursuit of equality? Yes of course! Can this equality be legislated? No.

Also, I think that a lot of women take things other than salary into consideration. Take me for example, I probably could make more money for the same job if I was willing to commute to the city. It would be difficult for me since I am a mom, so I work in a smaller office that gives me a little more flexibility. Not all women have children, but those that do need flexibility.
I presume you sell insurance. Are you not paid the same rate of commission for selling a specific policy as the male agent selling the same policy?

Your gross pay then depends on production. The more you sell the more you earn. Theoretically it is possible for you to sell as much dollar wise in your small office as a male counterpart in a larger city. Would not both have erned the same?

Posts 1 - 10 of 69