Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

tinyurl.comDuring a special ecumenical worship service in Sudbury, Cardinal Sean O'Malley asked the Rev. Anne Robertson of Plymouth to administer a baptism reaffirmation ritual to him. (George Martell/Pilot New Media)
Jan 16th 2014 new
wide eyed boggled wide eyed
She paused with the priest at the cardinals pew, so they could receive the baptism water from Cardinal OMalley. The next moment, the cardinal quietly asked the Rev. Robertson to administer the water for him.

My heart immediately went to my throat, she said. To be asked that by the man who might be pope someday I was stunned. I was choking back tears for hours.
Jan 16th 2014 new

What is your point, Bernard?

Personally, I do not see anything wrong with what the Cardinal did at this ecumenical service.

1. It was not a Sacrament but a renewal/reminder.

2. Baptism is a sacrament that can be administered by laity and even by Pagans, as has been the Catholic Tradition since Roman soldiers baptized saints before their martyrdom in the early years of the Church.

3. And, Methodists are part of the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church, as defined by Vatican II, although in imperfect communion due to some doctrinal and disciplinary disagreements. If you have ever had devout Methodist friends, you will know that their Faith is very, very similar to ours.

Thus, it seems to me to be in concert with the great Priestly Prayer of Jesus in the gospel of John, "ut Unum sint" that we honor those things we have in common with our Protestant bretheren, without of course denying those areas where we still differ. Baptism is most definitely one of the things we have in common, and the Roman Catholic Church has declared the baptism by Methodists to be a valid sacrament. Methodists who join the Roman Catholic communion do NOT need to be re-baptized.

It's nice to see there are a few Church leaders who get it.

Jan 16th 2014 new
(quote) Gerald-283546 said:

What is your point, Bernard?

Personally, I do not see anything wrong with what the Cardinal did at this ecumenical service.

1. It was not a Sacrament but a renewal/reminder.

2. Baptism is a sacrament that can be administered by laity and even by Pagans, as has been the Catholic Tradition since Roman soldiers baptized saints before their martyrdom in the early years of the Church.

3. And, Methodists are part of the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church, as defined by Vatican II, although in imperfect communion due to some doctrinal and disciplinary disagreements. If you have ever had devout Methodist friends, you will know that their Faith is very, very similar to ours.

Thus, it seems to me to be in concert with the great Priestly Prayer of Jesus in the gospel of John, "ut Unum sint" that we honor those things we have in common with our Protestant bretheren, without of course denying those areas where we still differ. Baptism is most definitely one of the things we have in common, and the Roman Catholic Church has declared the baptism by Methodists to be a valid sacrament. Methodists who join the Roman Catholic communion do NOT need to be re-baptized.

It's nice to see there are a few Church leaders who get it.

What is my point? I think you should ask the Cardinal that question.
Jan 16th 2014 new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said: What is my point? I think you should ask the Cardinal that question.
The point is that this act promotes the idea that any religion is "just as good as" the Catholic faith.

In effect, and in practice, it teaches the error of Indifferentism.

www.newadvent.org

This, along with the lack of teaching on sexuality and other matters has spread indifferentism and the general moral apathy that is abroad in the Catholic west. The goal of Modernists, it seems, is to spread the idea that Doctrines are dead, and that pewsitters got the message.

Consider the following articles:

m.theweek.com

The seeds of doubt were planted a couple of weeks after my TNR essay was published, when I appeared on an NPR radio show to discuss the pope. I repeated my argument, but then a caller challenged me. Describing herself as a progressive Catholic, she dismissed my skepticism about the likelihood of Francis reforming church doctrine. "Doctrine for a Catholic, now, is not even an issue," said Trish from Kentucky (you can listen to her beginning at 24:43). "Catholics do not care about doctrine," she said, adding, "It's irrelevant. It's a non-issue for Catholics."

That, to be honest, is something that I hadn't considered when I wrote my essay. As I indicated in my remarks responding to Trish, I had assumed all along that liberal Catholics wanted to liberalize Catholic doctrine that they wanted to bring the church, as I wrote in TNR, "into conformity with the egalitarian ethos of modern liberalism, including its embrace of gay rights, sexual freedom, and gender equality."

But here was a liberal Catholic telling me I'd gotten it all wrong. The pope's warm, welcoming words are "everything," Trish said, because doctrine, including that covering contraception and divorce, is "useless."

And where is the source of this? The conservative and ecumenical magazine "First Things," pins it directly on the heirarchy.

www.firstthings.com

Jan 16th 2014 new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said: Sources of Catholic Dogma-Denzinger

"Syllabus," or Collection of Modern Errors *

[Excerpted from various Allocutions, Encyclicals, Epistles of PIUS IX, together with (the above quoted) Bull, "Quanta cure," edited Dec. 8, 1864]

Sec. 111. Indifferentism, Latitudinarianism

1715 15 Every man is free to embrace and profess that religion which he, led by the light of reason, thinks to be the true religion (8, 26).

1716 16. In the worship of any religion whatever, men can find the way to eternal salvation, and can attain eternal salvation (1, 3, 17).

1717 17. We must have at least good hope concerning the eternal salvation of all those who in no wise are in the true Church of Christ 13. [see n. 1646] 28 [see n. 1677]).

1718 18. Protestantism is nothing else than a different form of the same true Christian religion, in which it is possible to serve God as well as in the Catholic Church (5).

These notions are condemned.
Jan 17th 2014 new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said: (quote) Bernard-2709 said: Sources of Catholic Dogma-Denzinger

"Syllabus," or Collection of Modern Errors *

[Excerpted from various Allocutions, Encyclicals, Epistles of PIUS IX, together with (the above quoted) Bull, "Quanta cure," edited Dec. 8, 1864]

Sec. 111. Indifferentism, Latitudinarianism

1715 15 Every man is free to embrace and profess that religion which he, led by the light of reason, thinks to be the true religion (8, 26).

1716 16. In the worship of any religion whatever, men can find the way to eternal salvation, and can attain eternal salvation (1, 3, 17).

1717 17. We must have at least good hope concerning the eternal salvation of all those who in no wise are in the true Church of Christ 13. [see n. 1646] 28 [see n. 1677]).

1718 18. Protestantism is nothing else than a different form of the same true Christian religion, in which it is possible to serve God as well as in the Catholic Church (5).

These notions are condemned.
"These notions are not condemned now. Things have changed. People are more intelligent and open minded these days. The Church is evolving."

How can the Truth become a lie and a lie become the truth? Only the devil can do this. The truth is everlasting and unchanging. I am in no hurry to get a blessing from a female Hare Krishna Guru but some priests are seeking counsel from these fonts of goodness.
Jan 17th 2014 new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said: ... To be asked that by the man who might be pope someday I was stunned. ...
The thought that Cardinal O'Malley might be Pope some day is pretty stunning in itself.. smile
Jan 17th 2014 new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said: To be asked that by the man who might be pope someday I was stunned. I was choking back tears for hours.
I know a few Catholics who would be choking back tears at seeing that "special" photo.

Jan 17th 2014 new
(quote) Gabor-19025 said: "These notions are not condemned now. Things have changed. People are more intelligent and open minded these days. The Church is evolving."

How can the Truth become a lie and a lie become the truth? Only the devil can do this. The truth is everlasting and unchanging. I am in no hurry to get a blessing from a female Hare Krishna Guru but some priests are seeking counsel from these fonts of goodness.
That first sentence is the line of Modernists who do not believe there is any permanent truth, either in religion or the natural order.

This is not only why we have Indifferentism spreading among the pews and the clergy, but even scientists who claim to seek the truth in the natural order are increasingly wandering into mythmaking with ideas like multiverses (which are designed to explain away fine tuning while not acknowledging God's hand). To see the later, look up the Science Fictions series by Denyse O'Leary.

www.evolutionnews.org

The answer is to speak the truth in charity, which also means being sparing with the irony (a matter in which I am, I must admit, the foremost of sinners).

Posts 1 - 10 of 112